Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Promised Neverland GN 1


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Niello



Joined: 22 Dec 2013
Posts: 231
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
This is definitely one of the best Jump has to offer right now. The premise is interesting and generally well executed. The pacing is also great. My appreciation for Demizu Posuka artwork is very high. Her use of fisheye perspective to compose intriguing coloured pages in particular is just a joy to see. Considering the stuff she draws, this manga seems like a perfect fit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
matt78



Joined: 25 Jul 2015
Posts: 59
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for this and Dr. Stone to get anime adaptions. I think that both are really good and hope they are around for a long time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
leafy sea dragon



Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 6746
Location: Another Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why it took Viz so long to finally release this. More people ought to read this series...or maybe they can watch the anime when it inevitably debuts (and it's not a matter of "if," but "when"). As long as the anime crew can handle it right, The Promised Neverland will make for one heck of a gripping first episode.

I also thought that the tension and stakes were getting raised too high too early on, but I always figured that, as a manga in Weekly Shonen Jump, it was in constant danger of cancellation, and it was being written as if it was going to get that cancellation at any point. Unfortunately, due to Volume 1's content being a tough act to follow, the subsequent dozen chapters or so feel a bit disappointing. It's still very good, but the impact the first several chapters had is gone.

Niello wrote:
This is definitely one of the best Jump has to offer right now. The premise is interesting and generally well executed. The pacing is also great. My appreciation for Demizu Posuka artwork is very high. Her use of fisheye perspective to compose intriguing coloured pages in particular is just a joy to see. Considering the stuff she draws, this manga seems like a perfect fit.


I definitely love the use of fish-eye perspective, to make the world of Emma, Norman, and Ray feel claustrophobic and oppressive, as if the edges of the world are closing in on them or that they're trapped in a small portion of the world overall. I do like the overal dark imagery of the chapter cover pages even when there's no fish-eye perspective, usually a metaphor to show how little control the kids actually have and the insurmountable odds they'll have to overcome to escape.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cutiebunny



Joined: 18 Apr 2010
Posts: 1166
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Been reading this manga from the beginning and it's my favorite current Jump title. It feels so much more different than the standard "goofball loser who has heart saves the day" manga that seems to be all too common in Jump. I also really love Emma as a character.

I don't know if I agree the assessment that the manga raised the stakes too much, too quickly. IMO, this is sorta like a manga version of the Lemony Snicket franchise, just with more at stake (and more gore). The kids go from one bad situation to another almost every chapter. However, I do miss the logical explanations of the actions of the kids that seemed to stop spoiler[once they escaped the farm.] The current material doesn't really touch upon that as much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Яeverse



Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Posts: 495
Location: Indianapolis
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:10 am Reply with quote
I hope the reviews keep coming.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hiroki not Takuya



Joined: 17 Apr 2012
Posts: 752
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
^^Agreed. However, if someone can shed some light, I checked out the free vol1 and the one thing that will keep me from buying is the seemingly huge inconsistency in testing the kids with legitimately difficult subjects to select the brightest only to make them a literal meal for demons (not in the Black Butler sense). There seems to be no point to that since we already see that poorly performing kids are similarly eaten. Other than that, I'll agree that the artwork looks great and the writing is similarly very good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yunho



Joined: 30 Jan 2014
Posts: 9
Location: Michigan
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Hiroki not Takuya"]the seemingly huge inconsistency in testing the kids with legitimately difficult subjects to select the brightest only to make them a literal meal for demons (not in the Black Butler sense). There seems to be no point to that since we already see that poorly performing kids are similarly eaten.[/quote]
While not the best explanation they do actually explain that later and it makes a little more sense
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TdFern 87



Joined: 03 Jun 2017
Posts: 84
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
This series will become the next Death Note for Shonen Jump. I am hope people read this as it is a series worth reading to get you sucked in with all it has to offer from mystery and suspense and action.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TdFern 87



Joined: 03 Jun 2017
Posts: 84
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
This series will become the next Death Note for Shonen Jump. I am hope people read this as it is a series worth reading to get you sucked in with all it has to offer from mystery and suspense and action.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Яeverse



Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Posts: 495
Location: Indianapolis
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
TdFern 87 wrote:
This series will become the next Death Note for Shonen Jump. I am hope people read this as it is a series worth reading to get you sucked in with all it has to offer from mystery and suspense and action.


But Assassination Classroom was already the next Death Note.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
leafy sea dragon



Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 6746
Location: Another Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
TdFern 87 wrote:
This series will become the next Death Note for Shonen Jump. I am hope people read this as it is a series worth reading to get you sucked in with all it has to offer from mystery and suspense and action.


But Assassination Classroom was already the next Death Note.


I really doubt this will be the next Death Note, and Assassination Classroom really wasn't either. Maybe the next hit psychological thriller, but I think Death Note became as big in the west as it was not only for its psychological thriller components and cat-and-mouse games, but because Light Yagami connected so well with a lot of teens going through angst and depression, and he was living out what I'm sure many of them had fantasized about (that is, removing anyone they didn't like from their lives, while outsmarting everone else, and not getting in any trouble for it).

The Promised Neverland executes the cat-and-mouse story very well too, but Emma is not angsty, and it has none of the power fantasy elements that Death Note had. If anything, the series's central idea is how powerless Emma and her friends are.

I mean, look at all of those fake Death Notes confiscated at schools where the student (and, in one case, the teacher) wrote down names of people they didn't like. That's how strongly these people related to Light, that's how much they admired Light, and that's how bad these people wanted to BE Light, even if they know what Light did is very wrong and unacceptable. There won't be an equivalent to that for Assassination Classroom or The Promised Neverland (for better or for worse).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1dbad



Joined: 12 Jul 2015
Posts: 293
Location: Texas
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:19 am Reply with quote
It might not be the next Death Note in terms of cultural impact, but I do see it becoming HUGE when the inevitable anime adaptation rolls around. I'm thinking it'll at least be like Attack on Titan, where it's THE anime of the entire year when it comes out.

I do disagree with leafy sea dragon on the first volume being a tough act to follow. I actually think the first few volumes are really strong. It wasn't until the second story arc that the quality started dipping for me, but it's still a solid read that has been picking up again here lately.

That's another reason I've been comparing it to Attack on Titan. Like with it, I can see a potential second season getting a more mixed reaction compared to never-ending hype and critical acclaim of the first season. (granted the first season ends with the end of the first story arc, that is)

matt78 wrote:
I can't wait for this and Dr. Stone to get anime adaptions. I think that both are really good and hope they are around for a long time.

Has Dr. Stone been selling well enough for an anime adaptation to be likely? I've been enjoying it but I hadn't heard much about how it's selling or its popularity in Japan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Яeverse



Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Posts: 495
Location: Indianapolis
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:37 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
It might not be the next Death Note in terms of cultural impact, but I do see it becoming HUGE when the inevitable anime adaptation rolls around. I'm thinking it'll at least be like Attack on Titan, where it's THE anime of the entire year when it comes out.

I do disagree with leafy sea dragon on the first volume being a tough act to follow. I actually think the first few volumes are really strong. It wasn't until the second story arc that the quality started dipping for me, but it's still a solid read that has been picking up again here lately.

That's another reason I've been comparing it to Attack on Titan. Like with it, I can see a potential second season getting a more mixed reaction compared to never-ending hype and critical acclaim of the first season. (granted the first season ends with the end of the first story arc, that is)

matt78 wrote:
I can't wait for this and Dr. Stone to get anime adaptions. I think that both are really good and hope they are around for a long time.

Has Dr. Stone been selling well enough for an anime adaptation to be likely? I've been enjoying it but I hadn't heard much about how it's selling or its popularity in Japan.


Apart from hinomaru, i think wsj will have everything get an anime if it survives its first year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HeeroTX



Joined: 15 Jul 2002
Posts: 1969
Location: Austin, TX
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:26 am Reply with quote
The biggest problem for Promised Neverland is handling the shift. Death Note spoiler[was a chess match until L died]. Similarly, PN spoiler[is a Chess match, until they escape the farm]. It's been a bit uneven since then. I kind of hope they prove my guess spoiler[(Norman is still alive)] correct sooner rather than later, because right now I'm just waiting for that to happen. Makes me curious if spoiler[Norman will be the future "mama", by which I mean intellectual antagonist].
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Sloggett



Joined: 09 Apr 2011
Posts: 41
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
It has become my favorite series in the current jump lineup (even more than One Piece).spoiler[ I thought it would lose most of it's appeal after the escape but still find myself enjoying it weekly.] Time will tell if it can hold a compelling story worth following, but right now it's got me hooked.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Loading next article...