• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Promised Neverland GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:01 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
It might not be the next Death Note in terms of cultural impact, but I do see it becoming HUGE when the inevitable anime adaptation rolls around. I'm thinking it'll at least be like Attack on Titan, where it's THE anime of the entire year when it comes out.

I do disagree with leafy sea dragon on the first volume being a tough act to follow. I actually think the first few volumes are really strong. It wasn't until the second story arc that the quality started dipping for me, but it's still a solid read that has been picking up again here lately.

That's another reason I've been comparing it to Attack on Titan. Like with it, I can see a potential second season getting a more mixed reaction compared to never-ending hype and critical acclaim of the first season. (granted the first season ends with the end of the first story arc, that is)

Oh, I have no doubt The Promised Neverland will gain a lot of fans when the anime comes around (provided it's not completely botched up at the start like World Trigger was). It'll just be a different sort of audience than the kind Death Note got. (I also predict the first season would end with the first arc. The chapter count lines up incredibly well.)

As for how I feel, I think that there were a lot of chapters a bit after this where the characters just milled around, discussing plans with each other and us hearing their thoughts, without that much getting accomplished. It does pick back up several chapters later, but personally, what I'm suspecting is in Volume 2 is not nearly as interesting to me as what is in Volume 1. But maybe it's because I follow this series in Weekly Shonen Jump, where I read one chapter per week, so it comes across as slower and less exciting than it would be if read back to back.

I'd definitely say that the lowest point of the series WOULD be after the end of the first arc, but personally, it picked back up again once spoiler[the Grace Field kids found the shelter and met the survivor from the other farm, as it once again turned into a cat-and-mouse narrative, only this time the adult has no obligation to keep the kdis alive. I'm actually getting pretty excited with the Goldy Pond stuff, even if it is a genre change of sorts.]

HeeroTX wrote:
The biggest problem for Promised Neverland is handling the shift. Death Note spoiler[was a chess match until L died]. Similarly, PN spoiler[is a Chess match, until they escape the farm]. It's been a bit uneven since then. I kind of hope they prove my guess spoiler[(Norman is still alive)] correct sooner rather than later, because right now I'm just waiting for that to happen. Makes me curious if spoiler[Norman will be the future "mama", by which I mean intellectual antagonist].

The way I see it, it has never stopped being a chess match, just that the kids run into different people. spoiler[After they escape, it becomes a brief one against the monsters who work for Grace Field, and now it's a pretty lengthy one against the man who survived the poacher attack and now lives in the shelter.] spoiler[And last week, we received another intellectual duel, against one of those poachers, who's proving himself to be highly intelligent--and Emma has to take him on without Norman or Ray, while raising the stakes by introducing another group of children.]
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:56 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
The way I see it, it has never stopped being a chess match, just that the kids run into different people. spoiler[After they escape, it becomes a brief one against the monsters who work for Grace Field, and now it's a pretty lengthy one against the man who survived the poacher attack and now lives in the shelter.] spoiler[And last week, we received another intellectual duel, against one of those poachers, who's proving himself to be highly intelligent--and Emma has to take him on without Norman or Ray, while raising the stakes by introducing another group of children.]

I have to disagree. It began as a chess match but has now become a more cerebral "standard" shounen manga IMO. spoiler[Since leaving Grace field they've "powered up" and the current "battles" against the adult human and the newer Goldy Pond battle (so far) have been more simply about maneuvering into the right positions. The chess match against Mama was always tense because the reader was ALWAYS left to wonder "what does she KNOW". That's the difference between a chess match and a "battle" story IMO. The CM story is trying to stay 1 or more "moves" ahead, Battle stories are "who is stronger". Put another way, while at Grace Field, the kids were more PROactive, and since leaveing are more REactive. That's realistic since they'd been at Grace Field for years and now EVERYTHING is "new". But it just frames things differently.] That's why I think my guess will eventually play out, because spoiler[If Norman is alive, it allows for 2 directions: 1. Norman is "brainwashed" and working against them, but then Emma KNOWS Norman and it becomes a game of who can better outwit the other, which would be especially noteworthy since none of the kids EVER beat Norman previously. or 2. Norman is in a different position now, but is still on Emma's "side" at which point HE (should) now has knowledge that they can use to try to stay ahead of the "demons". The SMART choice (IMO) is to do 1 then 2, but without Norman, you've got to stall for a LONG time to get to a viable mind game, since Ray is overly emotional and Emma isn't well established as a tactical genius.]
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I see what you mean. It is still a battle of wits though, just now between sides with spoiler[very different backgrounds rather than versus a familiar acquaintance.] I'd still call it a chess match, but this time spoiler[a chess match against a complete stranger rather than your friend.]

That'd be very interesting to see happen what you predict though. Me, I never really thought much of it, as I was always more interested in what the monsters themselves are like and their culture.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:12 am Reply with quote
The Promised Neverland sounds exactly like Torchwood: Children of Earth, excepting that one is fantasy and the other is science fiction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2