• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Deadly Sins: Revival of The Commandments Anime's 2nd Promo Video Previews Opening Theme

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddy564

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Yazu13 wrote:
I gotta say, it's heartbreaking when the anime just can't quite capture the style of the manga, and especially when the anime takes liberties with the manga's vision.

Here is an official colorization of the Ten Commandments from the manga:

https://imgur.com/a/wu46r

In the trailer, Garan is colored an odd and sloppy tone of deep red, which as a long-time fan of this series, looks hideous and baffles my mind why the creators of the anime adaptation couldn't be bothered to do a little research beforehand. But I digress, this is just a small problem in the grand scheme when such a masterful manga is getting such a lukewarm adaptation. I would have loved to see this series get an adaptation that could realize the original vision in animated form, especially with the next arc which takes the story from great to amazing. I guess Japan doesn't like putting money behind Anime anymore though. What a damn shame.
Some manga never get anime adaptions so regardless of how you feel about the adaption as a whole, it’s still a blessing to be able to see awesome moments in the manga come to life. Also, your last statement is pretty presumptuous. There’s anime that come out every season that have wonderful animation and take meticulous care in maintaining its source material’s essence.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:

Also, with over half a million watchers on MAL (which really only western anime watchers use) and a score of 8.3, I would not say Netflix killed this one. Every anime fan I know has seen it.
The only way in which I felt Netflix detracted from it is that, since they don't do physical releases, it took several years for a western Bluray release. I know the Japanese dont like reverse importing of cheap western anime, but do they not care at all about the sales?

If you're also referring to my comment. First off, sorry I made the comment in the first place. I didn't realize no one was going to understand it at all. And secondly:

"I feel like Netflix really killed this franchise in the West among Otaku. Literally no one I know talks about this poor show."

"I'm under no delusion that it is bad for a show. It's bad for our little community of hardcore fans who watch stuff seasonally, and I reserve the right to be slightly annoyed by that."

By Otaku, I don't mean the audience that watches shonen anime regardless of what it is or where it is. I'm talking about people who legally watch seasonal anime and talk about it online. Personally, I haven't seen much discussion of SDS at all(I usually frequent places that promote legal viewership, so I'm not seeing the reddit and 4chan discussions or wherever all the pirates congregate. I'm sure they are just as lively as anything else).
Anyway, Netflix doesn't target the seasonal viewer, they target casual fans, and there are enough of them to make a show like SDS successful, I'm sure. But as far as my experience goes, the franchise has been killed among seasonally watching Western Otaku.

Um, I don't quite understand this thing that people have against Netflix. Is it doing something it's not supposed to be? And that thing about "Western Otaku" killing franchises or whatever. Confused
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:

Um, I don't quite understand this thing that people have against Netflix. Is it doing something it's not supposed to be?

People don't like that Netflix doesn't simulcast. I don't think it's that terribly difficult to comprehend. I don't actually have that big of a problem with it. I will wait and watch it when it's available. But in the community that I hang out in, no one wants to wait, but unless they "really love" the franchise, they won't bother pirating it either. They just forget it exists at all. I think that kind of sucks.

Quote:
And that thing about "Western Otaku" killing franchises or whatever. Confused

Did you seriously read all of my comments and still come out not understanding my point? Rolling Eyes
Yazu13

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:
Yazu13 wrote:
I gotta say, it's heartbreaking when the anime just can't quite capture the style of the manga, and especially when the anime takes liberties with the manga's vision.

In the trailer, Garan is colored an odd and sloppy tone of deep red, which as a long-time fan of this series, looks hideous and baffles my mind why the creators of the anime adaptation couldn't be bothered to do a little research beforehand. But I digress, this is just a small problem in the grand scheme when such a masterful manga is getting such a lukewarm adaptation. I would have loved to see this series get an adaptation that could realize the original vision in animated form, especially with the next arc which takes the story from great to amazing. I guess Japan doesn't like putting money behind Anime anymore though. What a damn shame.
Some manga never get anime adaptions so regardless of how you feel about the adaption as a whole, it’s still a blessing to be able to see awesome moments in the manga come to life. Also, your last statement is pretty presumptuous. There’s anime that come out every season that have wonderful animation and take meticulous care in maintaining its source material’s essence.

I really hate the idea that something is better than nothing. Look at the Berserk anime and tell me Berserk as an IP is now better off for the extra exposure. It doesn't work like that, and anyone who watches that anime without any experience with the manga will now think Berserk is a trainwreck of a story with horrible pacing and crappy art.

Something is not better than nothing, and comparing the genius of the Seven Deadly Sins manga to the very low-effort anime adaptation makes me rightfully peeved because this story deserves better. The creators of the anime couldn't even bother to color one of the major characters (Garan) the correct color, so yes, I'm disappointed that many people will know Seven Deadly Sins by anime alone and not realize just how much better it's supposed to be.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I think it’s less that Netflix killed the popularity or anything like that and more that there just tends to be less discussion when all of a show is released at once like that. There aren’t week-long gaps in which to speculate where it will go. It’s mostly just different. You can see it with most of their original shows. There’s a frenzied buzz for a couple weeks or so and then it dies down until another season or season part shows up.

I will say they delay the releases a bit too much. Like, with Kuromukuro, they released the show and then came along with a dub later. Maybe do that a bit more?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
@Yazu13 As someone who has seen the recent seasons of Berserk but not the manga, I very much do not think the original was a trainwreck with crappy art. Beyond fans telling and showing us to the contrary, I could see the strength of the source material shining through the admittedly too often poor production, and I'm not the only one. While Berserk does deserve better, expecting the animation to be the exact same level of detail as the manga art or nearly so is not realistic, especially for a series with such exemplary art. It's simply not feasible to have draw that many lines in the time constraints that TV production have.

I could say the same sort of thing about Seven Deadly Sins. The designs, as with any adaptation, have been simplified a little so that they can be animated, and while I wouldn't put its animation among the top tier of shows from the last few years, it is not without highlights. As for rest of the show, I'd put it among my favorites of the last few years, and the first season is well rated across western sites, as mentioned by others earlier. Berserk is one thing, but if nothing would be preferable to the adaption that we have gotten so far, it just makes me think some people will never be satisfied. If anyone should be rightfully peeved, its all the animators and other staff who worked hard on the anime and by any reasonable measure did a great job and still get criticized by a few as putting in little effort.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:

Um, I don't quite understand this thing that people have against Netflix. Is it doing something it's not supposed to be?

People don't like that Netflix doesn't simulcast. I don't think it's that terribly difficult to comprehend. I don't actually have that big of a problem with it. I will wait and watch it when it's available. But in the community that I hang out in, no one wants to wait, but unless they "really love" the franchise, they won't bother pirating it either. They just forget it exists at all. I think that kind of sucks.

Quote:
And that thing about "Western Otaku" killing franchises or whatever. Confused

Did you seriously read all of my comments and still come out not understanding my point? Rolling Eyes

Humph. Well.... screw it. It's always some stupid issue.

I could care less now about others not being able to watch new anime. I know I'm always able to watch them. I never have to worry about not seeing them, either.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Yazu13 wrote:
Eddy564 wrote:
Yazu13 wrote:

I really hate the idea that something is better than nothing. Look at the Berserk anime and tell me Berserk as an IP is now better off for the extra exposure. It doesn't work like that, and anyone who watches that anime without any experience with the manga will now think Berserk is a trainwreck of a story with horrible pacing and crappy art.

Something is not better than nothing, and comparing the genius of the Seven Deadly Sins manga to the very low-effort anime adaptation makes me rightfully peeved because this story deserves better. The creators of the anime couldn't even bother to color one of the major characters (Garan) the correct color, so yes, I'm disappointed that many people will know Seven Deadly Sins by anime alone and not realize just how much better it's supposed to be.
The anime was a very decent adaption of the first two arcs. Yes the ending was botched and a few minor plot details were changed, but overall it was a pretty faithful adaption that contained some good animation. It’s no where near a “low effort anime adaption”. Just because you want a series that meticulously adapts every aspect of the manga doesn’t mean the anime itself has to suffer these unwarranted insults. And yes, something is better than nothing. Nothing is precisely that. NOTHING. You’d only be able to imagine and pose hypotheticals for something that doesn’t exist. Yes the Berserk anime is trash, but that’s just one among a pool of anime that is unfortunate to have an animation studio that doesn’t care about its presentation. It’s not something that’s “rampant” as you’re suggesting. Some people literally have to watch YouTube videos of fan art and moving manga panels as a supplement for an anime. So please get off your high horse and be appreciative of what is done well instead of tearing a series down for a few mistakes.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
zendervai wrote:
I think it’s less that Netflix killed the popularity or anything like that and more that there just tends to be less discussion when all of a show is released at once like that. There aren’t week-long gaps in which to speculate where it will go. It’s mostly just different. You can see it with most of their original shows. There’s a frenzied buzz for a couple weeks or so and then it dies down until another season or season part shows up.

I will say they delay the releases a bit too much. Like, with Kuromukuro, they released the show and then came along with a dub later. Maybe do that a bit more?

Yeah, exactly. Netflix is actually really good for most shows. Using your Kuromukuro example, one of their guys told me that it did incredibly well on Netflix and that was literally the factor that put it into the black. The service doesn't kill popularity, but it kills discussion. Maybe not even that, depending on where you are. But where I spend time, it definitely kills discussion. You get that blip when it is all released at once by the people who stuck around and waited, but that dies pretty quickly and the show fades into oblivion.
If they would just release stuff a week after the season ends or at least be consistent, I would also be more forgiving. What they did with Kuromukuro worked pretty well for me. Holding onto Kakegurui until January at the earliest, when the series ended 3 months prior, is pretty uncool. That uncertainty is really my biggest issue.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:12 am Reply with quote
^They were clearly talking about the first season of Seven Deadly Sins when they were talking about some good animation and referred to the recent seasons of Berserk as trash.
DranzerX13

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:39 am Reply with quote
Next week on January 6, 2018, will be a TV Special episode, consisting of a recap of the first season along with some new footage. The first episode of season 2 will start on January 13, 2018.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2