• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online Novels Enter 'Unital Ring' Arc

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:

Ahhh so it’s a classic case of starting out strong and fizzling out towards the end due to messy execution. I get it. Thanks bud.

I dunno if 'fizzle' is the right word though. I've heard people who actually thought the climax was pretty epic. IMO, the problem was more of a story decision kinda thing. I kinda decided it'd be more worth my time to watch the story in anime form instead.

Anyway, I forgot to mention. The reason I'm looking forward to the new arc is because I've always felt that Kawahara-sensei only became really good after he finished the SAO web novel. (It took me awhile to 'get' it, but I became a bigger fan of Accel World, his other series that he worked on afterwards). That's why I'm curious about what he'll do once he's free from the trappings of his older work.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:45 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
Eddy564 wrote:

Ahhh so it’s a classic case of starting out strong and fizzling out towards the end due to messy execution. I get it. Thanks bud.

I dunno if 'fizzle' is the right word though. I've heard people who actually thought the climax was pretty epic. IMO, the problem was more of a story decision kinda thing. I kinda decided it'd be more worth my time to watch the story in anime form instead.

Anyway, I forgot to mention. The reason I'm looking forward to the new arc is because I've always felt that Kawahara-sensei only became really good after he finished the SAO web novel. (It took me awhile to 'get' it, but I became a bigger fan of Accel World, his other series that he worked on afterwards). That's why I'm curious about what he'll do once he's free from the trappings of his older work.
What do you mean “web novel”? And what relation do they have to the main series?
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:37 am Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:
What do you mean “web novel”? And what relation do they have to the main series?

SAO started out as a web novel before it was properly published as a light novel and gained mainstream popularity. Quite a few series started out that way including KonoSuba. What relation do they have? The web novel now acts as a basis for the current light novel like story arcs, characters, world building and so on. Obviously some changes were made to the light novels or some parts were completely changed or removed but the web novels created the basis and foundation. The web novel originally ended with the Alicization arc so quite a few were surprised that Kawahara is gonna keep it going.

That said SAO is now officially the One Piece of light novels. Its practically endless
Nate148

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:39 am Reply with quote
sao was a web novel before the light novels were made for the most part the light novels are one to one content wise but wording and some events were changed.
UNiP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Alicization was fine - The first half was truly great, when it came into the Underworld arc it just got slightly outta control but the first half was my personal favorite. I guess the new characters just really do it for me.

Didn't read the LN version though, not sure how *much* it differs from the original web series; heard there were quite significant differences but it didn't affect the overall arc.

That being said, I'm kind of intrigued in the sense that Alicization does bring the story of SAO full circle; I was wondering what more could come out of it.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote
Still in the middle of reading Alicization.

Though I'd honestly be more interested in him doubling down on the Progressive series than a new story arc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2