• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Amazon to Stream Killing Bites Anime's Director's Cut Worldwide

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
CatSword wrote:

At least one episode of Inuyashiki was also several days late. Anime Strike didn't acknowledge the missing episode, and people who contacted support dealt with Amazon blaming Sentai for it.

That doesn't even make sense, as Inuyashiki is a Noitamina title licensed directly by Amazon, and Sentai has nothing to do with it.

Either whomever was responding didn't know that, or they didn't expect that their customers would know better.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:27 am Reply with quote
I'm assuming "Director's cut" = uncensored goodness. The production committee must've gotten more $$ from Amazon than AT-X.

Quote:
revealed last Friday that Amazon Prime Video will stream the anime worldwide, and it will exclusively stream the anime's unaired "director's cut."

Is it really the regular Prime Video service i.e. part of the Prime membership, or actually Anime Strike? Or will it be Prime Video in Japan and elsewhere but Anime Strike in the US?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:09 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Aw, I think you guys are being unduly harsh on Amazon. How can you not love a streaming service that periodically doesn't drop an episode until DAYS after it was scheduled and sometimes is unable to providesubtitle???

"Ballroom e Youkoso" episode 23 is a specific case of this. I finally saw it there on Monday.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:30 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Is it really the regular Prime Video service i.e. part of the Prime membership, or actually Anime Strike? Or will it be Prime Video in Japan and elsewhere but Anime Strike in the US?

Prime Video everywhere but the US (where it will be Anime Strike instead).

This is typical for the the anime licensed directly by Amazon (as opposed to the bulk that are licensed from Sentai).
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
@TheAncientOne
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:21 am Reply with quote
While they are related by separate companies, I think Sentai Filmworks should merge with HIDIVE because Anime Strike's customer service and transparency is a joke. As such, I don't think Amazon Prime should be allowed to do simulcasts.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
While they are related by separate companies, I think Sentai Filmworks should merge with HIDIVE because Anime Strike's customer service and transparency is a joke. As such, I don't think Amazon Prime should be allowed to do simulcasts.
Imagine that you produced an anime and a company comes in and offers you a big bag of money to license it. The company doesn't understand anything about anime, they are hated by most of the people who watch anime, and their service is horrible in several different ways. Still that big bag of money can be the difference between losing money and making a profit. I think that Anime Strike is the worst anime simulcast service but it makes sense that Amazon can buy any anime license they want.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Apollo-kun wrote:
Cool, another show I'm looking forward to locked behind a bad, bad service. Guess I'll have to wait for BR to *legally* support it.

I would not bet on a disc release.

I have to agree. This show is part of the Animeism block that Amazon licensed outright rather than with Sentai. So, a company looking to do a possible disc release would either have to approach Amazon, or possibly the production committee, to do it. Either way, they probably wouldn't be given solid information on the streaming numbers. Given the thin margins on anime, I could easily see the other companies deciding it wasn't worth the risk, and there hasn't been any indication that Amazon wants to get into the disc production side of things.

Kabaneri is getting a disc release in January, that was an Amazon exclusive worldwide. Welcome to the Ballroom and Yuki Yuna have both been licensed by PonyCan USA.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2