• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: So I'm a Spider, So What? Novel 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:39 am Reply with quote
@Double Mangekyo

YenON has been fairly consistent with most other titles. Given that No Game No Life seems to be unique in its delays, it is likely that the problem is with the materials not with Yen Press.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:05 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Double Mangekyo

YenON has been fairly consistent with most other titles. Given that No Game No Life seems to be unique in its delays, it is likely that the problem is with the materials not with Yen Press.

That's probably true, because even the manga for NGNL is in limbo.
ajr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I believe Yen Press will also be releasing the manga adaptation of I'm A Spider. If that's the case, even if you read the light novel the manga is still worth reading; the mangaka they got to do the adaptation, Kakashi Asahiro, does an amazing job with the main character's body language / poses.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
@ajr

The first volumes of both the manga and the novel are already out. You are correct the manga illustrations are well done. The two versions complement each other.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:42 am Reply with quote
Darn, the manga has not been released digitally yet. Hopefully after a bit of time it will be.

I just finished reading the light novel, and it was great. Now the wait for volume 2 of the light novel.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:37 am Reply with quote
@ChibiKangaroo

A follow up on my prior response to you. I just finished the first Slime novel. The main difference I see is that spoiler[the slime is never really threatened]. spoiler[He seems to go from strength to strength without serious setbacks.] In the spider novel, spoiler[she suffers setbacks, significant damage and on occasion almost loses. Basically one is a survival story and the other is almost a walk in the park].

I'm not sure what you mean by the authors "special interests" spoiler[(did you mean turning into an under age pseudo female?)] but there is nothing like that in the spider book. At the end of the spider book, spoiler[spider is still spider and is still trying to level up to make survival more likely].
Terelyn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@ChibiKangaroo

A follow up on my prior response to you. I just finished the first Slime novel. The main difference I see is that spoiler[the slime is never really threatened].

Is it based on the first novel of the two series? spoiler[Actually, that's not entirely the case, as the slime is not the most powerful creature in the world.]

About the spider (minor WN spoiler): spoiler[Let's just say, the spider will become more powerful later on in the story. The series will often "shift" genres... The protoganist will always be threatened in one way or another, but the traditional survival story part is just the beginning.]
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@ChibiKangaroo

A follow up on my prior response to you. I just finished the first Slime novel. The main difference I see is that spoiler[the slime is never really threatened]. spoiler[He seems to go from strength to strength without serious setbacks.] In the spider novel, spoiler[she suffers setbacks, significant damage and on occasion almost loses. Basically one is a survival story and the other is almost a walk in the park].

Ahh, I see. This might make it more entertaining for me just from creating better suspense. I will say that I started to enjoy the Slime story even with the main character being so OP just because the supporting cast was really entertaining, but yea I never felt like there was real suspense since he seems capable of consuming anything that threatens him.

Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean by the authors "special interests" spoiler[(did you mean turning into an under age pseudo female?)]

Yes, it came across as highly fetishy with the amount of time he spends sort of oogling himself naked. Also, spoiler[it made the girl he consumed seem just like a useful device to get him that loli body.] If it were just an ecchi show, I might just roll my eyes but it started to make it harder to take the MC seriously once he fixated that much on it.
Terelyn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Yes, it came across as highly fetishy with the amount of time he spends sort of oogling himself naked. Also, spoiler[it made the girl he consumed seem just like a useful device to get him that loli body.]

That scene was supposedly for comedic purposes. I didn't find fetishy personally. spoiler[Besides, the body is androgynous.]

Nevertheless, it will not become the focus of the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2