• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Princess Principal Director Masaki Tachibana

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
someooone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote
Wtv wrote:
It's funny how these comments turned out when we think about it.

Author says: "I don't mind that people see them as a lesbian couple."

Everyone: "Stop seeing them as a lesbian couple! You're disrespecting the author's work!"

Yea exactly. Some people just cant see from other perspectives and just want to shit on people cos they think they are more correct i guess. I dont get y people shit on yuri fans when we have actual textual evidence. We r not sayin the author is definitely wrong,but as readers we cant express our opinions?heck u dont see us attacking those who dont ship them,if anythin if u dont believe it then its cool. If u have a solid back up in the that they are not meant to be romantic,then by all means present it.In my opinion any argument not based on hate is as valid as any.We got called "not right in the head". Hmmm u kno what if being not right in the head means to be able to make a point while presenting a solid amount of evidence to back it up,ill be "not right in the head" any day o
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Mojave wrote:

We're not gonna get any further. From someone with an academic background in this, I'm telling you that "Interpretation" doesn't apply to something like relationship status, as far as Death of the Author is concerned. Interpretation means only relating to deeper meaning for the purposes of Death of the Author. Your understanding is wrong, it cannot be expanded beyond that. I'm not diminishing Death of the Author, I'm trying to keep it from being applied outside of where it can actually be applied. It's a highly specified tool, you're trying to apply it broadly, which is wrong. It's good that you have a basic understanding of the principle, but you're missing the specifics of it.

I have an academic background in this as well, so I will not take your abstract "deeper meaning" and let you mislead people as to what Death of the Author can apply to. I've read the essay, I've listened to podcasts on it, I've spoken with professors and authors. Death of the Author is not that specific. My understanding and use of it is perfectly correct. Also, in many works relationships are not textually defined, and can absolutely be interpretive. The only reason I've kept this up is because I hate to see people like you twist it and mislead people as to what its purpose is. I hope people read both of our arguments and determine which one makes more sense to them.
Hey, according to you, if George R.R. Martin said in an interview that Daenerys is in a relationship with Tyrion, and she's actually a black guy, that would change the canon and any other interpretation is invalid, even if, textually, it makes no sense for that to be the case. <That is EXACTLY the kind of thing Death of the Author applies to.

Anyway, I've said my piece. This thread was interesting.
Mojave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

I have an academic background in this as well, so I will not take your abstract "deeper meaning" and let you mislead people as to what Death of the Author can apply to. I've read the essay, I've listened to podcasts on it, I've spoken with professors and authors. Death of the Author is not that specific. My understanding and use of it is perfectly correct. Also, in many works relationships are not textually defined, and can absolutely be interpretive. The only reason I've kept this up is because I hate to see people like you twist it and mislead people as to what its purpose is. I hope people read both of our arguments and determine which one makes more sense to them.
Hey, according to you, if George R.R. Martin said in an interview that Daenerys is in a relationship with Tyrion, and she's actually a black guy, that would change the canon and any other interpretation is invalid, even if, textually, it makes no sense for that to be the case. <That is EXACTLY the kind of thing Death of the Author applies to.

Anyway, I've said my piece. This thread was interesting.

Haha, it appears we both had the same reason for keeping up the thread. I wanted to keep you from incorrectly twisting Death of the Author and misleading people as to what it is. It appears we have a full-blown academic disagreement here then, and so yeah, there's no chance of resolving that here. At least people on here got to see a discussion about it. Farewell.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5