• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 20th Dragon Ball Anime Film Revealed for December 2018

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Maybe we can finally get a detailed backstory on Yamoshi. Its been making waves among DB fans when Toriyama first revealed him and gave him a backstory a few weeks ago

It was odd he had all this information ready on hand for a random interview in one of the smaller magazines too. Now it all makes sense.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
It was odd he had all this information ready on hand for a random interview in one of the smaller magazines too. Now it all makes sense.

IKR but still its better for him to give a proper explanation instead of having Toei do it via leaks. Hell whats really surprising to me is how detailed and understandable his explanations are considering he talked about science stuff too which I was hardly ever good at when I was younger
joe_g7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
As crap as Super is, and as disappointing as Fukkatsu no F movie was, I'm actually looking forward to this.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Goku's entire characterization as a Saiyan is that he's only somewhat noble because he fell into a ravine and hit his head, becoming more placid. Vegeta murdered Nappa without a second thought, didn't care that Raditz had died (neither did Nappa, really), and only sought to avenge the Saiyans' pride, not their lives. Vegeta, Nappa, and Raditz would have been murderous bastards regardless of whether Freeza took them under his wing, that's the whole culture of the Saiyans.

I can understand that SOME Saiyans may have been less nasty (making the legend of the Super Saiyan God somewhat plausible), but for Goku's parents to be sweet and care so much about him just makes Goku less special, and just more of a Superman expy, sent to Earth for his own good, rather than by chance of needing to be there to kill everyone.

It lessens Goku's story. It's saying, "Yeah, Goku's a good guy because his parents were good guys." Vomit.

On the one hand, I agree that it's somewhat against the original spirit of the manga to deviate from the "if a Universe 7 Saiyan isn't an asshole, it's probably due to some traumatic brain injury" explanation for why Goku is so different from the rest of the full-blooded Saiyans.

On the other hand, I don't exactly want to sit through some Tolkien-esque diatribe about how some races are just born evil while Goku, Vegeta, the Androids, and Frieza are currently "on the same team".
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't really get it, why people don't understand why Goku is good. Yes he arrived as a savage, yes he hit his head. But he didn't turned good from that, sure he calmed down but even if he didn't hit his head we would turn out good cause of his upbringing...
Just like Vegeta turned out, they both adapted to earth society and changed it's just plain and simple that, just like Gohan, Gotenks, Trunks, etc...
And yes this film shouldn't be happy go lucky mushy feelings, just for the sake of justifying God saiyan form, which is stupid and unfeasible taking into account the saiyans story until know.
A race of egoistical savage apes that evolved by stealing other races technology and murdering them, joining hands for creating a sayan God is stupid. Not to mention that it takes 5 righteous saiyans to old hands, so the story logic has already been thrown out of the window...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2