• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 More Weird Anthro Projects

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Palette Parade - isn't this more of a bishonenizing historical figures rather than anthropomorphizing something odd?

Maybe this was on the last list, but I think Akikan definitely deserves a mention. Soda cans turn in to girls when you first try to drink them all to fight for which kind of can is best, aluminum or something else (I don't recall).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:40 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Cells at Work is a manga that anthropomorphizes cells in the human body as well as micro- organisms, viruses, etc.

Ketsuekigata-kun! did likewise, but limited it to blood types. Smile
CardamonPastel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:26 am Reply with quote
Most of those are doomed to fail except maybe the painter boys thing though idk why anyone would have an interest in that. To each their own of course. I do like bishounen but not when they're historical figures made into bishounen for weird fanservicey " let me make this dead person attractive so you'll be interested " purposes
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Surprised Miracle Train didn't make it onto this list. Personification of the Yamanote (IIRC) line stations as pretty boys.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Love Kome is actually pretty awesome because it's completely aware of how silly the premise is and unashamed to go all out: there's grain-related (anime) sickness, epic battles between rice, bread and noodles and the final baddie turned out to be No-Carb! Very Happy Plus, the episodes are short enough to not get annoying. And you always learn something new about rice (though i really miss the little cooking lessons from s1) at the end!
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
How did Axis Powers Hetalia not make the cut? Anthropomorphizing countries seems right up with all the rest. Or does it being more popular instantly disqualify it?
LadyKuzunoha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
How did Axis Powers Hetalia not make the cut? Anthropomorphizing countries seems right up with all the rest. Or does it being more popular instantly disqualify it?

Well, the concept of national personification has been around for a long time (Uncle Sam or John Bull, for instance, though there are many others), so it probably didn't come off as weird as some of the things that made the list. That might just be my perspective as someone who did/does enjoy Hetalia, though.
explosionforgov

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how I feel about a few of these.

I'm not a fan of making historical figures into bishoujo/bishounen, because they're not around to put input into how their likeness is used. Besides, if you're going to do van Gogh, I would rather see him drawn the way he was in real life, with a bandaged ear and a beard. (And where are the female painters? Mary Cassatt, Georgia O'Keeffe, Frida Kahlo, etc.?)

I'm not into Hetalia, because I very briefly got into it expecting a historical, educational manga, and it quickly became clear that that's not what it was. That, and there were many countries that have not/probably never will show up anthropomorphized in that series, ones I was hoping to see.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:47 am Reply with quote
"Hetalia" is perhaps 1 of the series that really popularized this trope.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2