• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Record of Grancrest War (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:05 am Reply with quote

Record of Grancrest War (TV)

Genres: fantasy
Themes: war

Plot Summary: On a continent ruled by chaos, the Lords have the power of a holy seal that can calm the chaos and protect the people. However, before anyone realizes it, the rulers cast aside their creed of purifying the chaos, and instead start to fight each other for each other's holy seals to gain dominion over one another. Shiruuka, an isolated mage who scorns the Lords for abandoning their creed, and a wandering knight named Theo, who is on a journey to train to one day liberate his hometown, make an everlasting oath to work together to reform this continent dominated by wars and chaos.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:11 pm Reply with quote
First episode is out on Crunchyroll.

I think so far, the show is alright but I find the Theo (the male protagonist) to be really blend. Nothing about his personality so far really stands out to me even though he made an impression for Siluca. At least they introduced the story so far in the beginning.

The animation quality seems good enough for A-1 Pictures at the moment but I expect it to drop in quality somewhere down the line.

Might have potential. I'm interested to see where this goes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest, I've recently gone through scanlations of the Manga adaptation so far. I'm not completely happy with the way Record of Grancrest War is heading. But then again, there has to be a path for our naive hero, Theo, to have the 'power' to fulfill his desires. At least, if the pacing of ep 1 seems to be taking, it won't take too long to get most of the central group together.

I'm willing to give this enough of a watch to see how this is gonna go.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I like how the heroine seems so strong, in multiple ways. It is quite common that the heroines in this sort of thing to be damsels in distress, tsundere who cannot accept a hero outpacing them (but still having a crush) or lastly maybe a weapon to be pointed. The heroine here is physically strong that she had no fear of the bandits along with annoyed someone presumed she needed saving, confident in herself along with a judgement in potential, and in essence seems to be the one in control. All wrapped up that she has noble intentions and is persuaded to enter contract with a perhaps naïve yet convicted beginner. It has maybe not given much for the hero to do much, but the Siluca has a personality and is capable.

I can see that this get good. Hopefully the show lives up to the disapproval Siluca had about being forced into the skimpy outfit. And probably have Theo grow a bit and level the playing field in terms of relationship with the heroine.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:11 pm Reply with quote
^Agree with everything you've said.

I've never seen Record of Lodoss War, so maybe that's why I don't have really any complaints about Grancrest.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I was left underwhelmed by the first episode. Visuals are of middling quality and the story, so far, isn't grabbing me. I think I'll be instituting the three eppie rule on this one.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

I was thinking about dropping this, but this episode was much more enjoyable than last episode so I'm sticking with it. I liked how spoiler[Theo actually asked point blank what Siluca's goal was instead of just being dragged along for the ride. It seems that both of them are starting to gain a deeper respect for each other.] The fight scenes were entertaining to watch, but I wasn't expecting spoiler[Aishela to start kissing then choking that soldier.] That's certainly an effective way to showcase a character's psychotic tendencies. Lassic seems like he's going to be an enjoyable character.

Also, Sir Barnaby was adorable and I hope we see more of him.
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Given the pace of episode one, I'm not surprised to see Lassic's forces show up. I just expected them in the back part of the ep. There's a Manga Chapter of spoiler[Theo & SIluca exploring Theo's new holdings] that expanded some of Theo's character.

At least the overall pace should be decent.
I'm just concerned a little because the post credits piece was from Ch. spoiler[13] of the Manga. And if the title for ep 3 "Battle Flag" is correct, that moves the narrative up to Chapters spoiler[ 14 & 15 (as far as I've seen scanlations)]. I don't see this a really bad thing, but I wonder what really is getting cut in order to get Theo's Court Rank to the level he needs it for the narrative going forward?
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:54 pm Reply with quote
This business with this Lassic dude just got resolved oddly quickly and it was rather anticlimactic. Like the battle lasted less than 10 minutes and then this Lassic dude just suddenly swears fealty to Theo, who by the way didn't get to do a whole lot. Siluca basically does everything. I'm getting a small vibe that Theo being led around by Siluca is being acknowledged by the story as a problem. I'm hoping that's true because that could be interesting.

I'm not sure what that weird cloak thing is that's attached to Siluca's clothes. Seems something that would be rather annoying to have carry around. But it does kinda look cool in my opinion.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:33 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely feeling this more now after the second episode than I was the first. The story-telling was more enjoyable and you just can't go wrong with a talking cat. By the way phia_one, there is no need to use spoiler tags when discussing events that happen in the episode (that was an old rule that was rescinded a few years ago). By contrast, TymersRealm was bang on the money by putting tags on manga information.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
By the way phia_one, there is no need to use spoiler tags when discussing events that happen in the episode (that was an old rule that was rescinded a few years ago). By contrast, TymersRealm was bang on the money by putting tags on manga information.

Thanks for the info! I'll keep that in mind for the future.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

We are going at like hypersonic speed here. The pacing is way too fast. A bit of a shame since this show is pretty cool otherwise.
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I'll agree with Cam0 to an extent.
I'm actually surprised they included the material from Manga Ch spoiler[12] in here. Granted that would made the use of the villagers a little off. Though there seems to be a lot of changes, in comparison to the Manga, to the overall narrative. Then again episode four will outpace any Scanlations I've seen.

The show is still enjoyable. I just wonder what's been sacked to speed up the plot?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:22 am Reply with quote
I'm liking this quite a bit, and wishing it had made the streaming reviews, especially over Death March, a title which is turning out to be a self-fulfilling prophecy as far as the reviews and viewer pushback. :/

That battle scene...one minute I'm thinking, "jeezus this CGI is Kingdom-tier janky," the next, "Holy crap did they just graphically decapitate that dude? And stab that guy in the eyes? Shocked " I did really like the battle flag thing though. That was both pretty to look at and a neat idea.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:24 am Reply with quote
They did seem to be speeding through him apparently making allies, along with enemies, and getting on more plans of further ideas of allies with the big players. Made it a bit hard to keep up with everything, while I would have been pretty happy just following the small bits like him getting the towns around him and running them, along with what the church would mean. This might in some ways feel more prevalent to myself as I have been pondering over a story idea I had recently, that I like some contained stories rather than skipping over some details.

Also, Siluca has continued to be made to wear the outfit she complained about in the first episode. The comment of her being a real mastermind was not misplaced as if it was undoing Theo for what we have seen. And her blushing into regards of him seems to be solving the power dynamic in not an ideal way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4