• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Record of Grancrest War (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm of two minds about this show. On the one hand, there seems to be potential which is why I'm guessing the speedy narrative so far. Yet, I can't help but feel like I'm going to be dropping this at some point unless the characters get more time to shine.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

A plot (on its own) is not a story, but I don't think the creators of this anime agree.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, pacing continues to be bad. All the build up, character development (except for Siluca) and other important stuff is missing. The show just jumps from one important plot point to another. And Theo is quite a non-worrier. Dude barely reacts to anything. "Oh, you screwed up the deal and now an army 6 times bigger than ours is coming to kill us? Don't sweat it, we'll just have to do a miracle!"
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

I'm having a hard time being invested in the battles because the show hasn't made any effort to get me emotionally invested in the characters. I didn't have any reaction to Ashelia almost dying. And then there's Siluca going all *blushes* Lord Theo!

I want to like this show, I really do, but how freaking long will that take?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:40 am Reply with quote
I think these first few episodes were designed to show us how the world works and to familiarize us with most of the main players. Theo is now almost back to square one (and in some ways worse off than that), but as Silica said: he does still have his reputation.

Yes, the reversal of fortune was kind of annoying, but Silica's father did give her some good advice about not overplaying her hand, and Theo has also gained some important experience.

I can see how others are turned off by various aspects of this show, and I agree that it's pretty sparse in some ways, but overall I still like it quite a bit and intend to follow it till the end.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:00 am Reply with quote
I can empathize with that feeling of detachment from the battles, I have some of the same thoughts. In turn is has kind of made the politics more of the interesting plot, the talk of importance of reputation, about what that means for lords, and how they themselves are a battlefield. The battle itself kind of ran on what was important for reputation of the different sides, and what was hoped to get out of the conflict a tricky balancing act.

The question is though, whether it is exciting and enjoyable.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:27 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I think these first few episodes were designed to show us how the world works and to familiarize us with most of the main players. Theo is now almost back to square one (and in some ways worse off than that), but as Silica said: he does still have his reputation.

I don't think the show did a job of that. It was too busy being a major plot point collection. I feel like I've only learned some words and don't really know their significance. I only hope that they wanted to get through this part of the story as quickly as possible and the pacing will slow down from here. I really want to like this show because I really like many aspects of this anime's world.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Also, vampires and werewolves. Who are now maids for some reason.

I don't see much evidence they're slowing down.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:36 am Reply with quote
Normally I would complain about werewolf and vampire races put into something like this. But there was this certain Ravenloft like charm.
emmoore91

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:14 am Reply with quote
This anime seems like it could've been something great, by looking at the trailer and plot. My problem is, this anime seems too rushed, why did it take episode 3 for him to meet the villagers. Where's the progress of him gaining strength and the love of the people. Some people call these things fillers, but with fillers you are more informed about the character's past and hopes for the future. There could have been much more depth to this anime; I think this is the main reason this anime have such a bad reputation. I will watch a little further to see if anything changes, if not I'm done.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:30 am Reply with quote
Well I was not expecting vampires and werewolves to expect in this anime. I came into the show blind so it took me by surprise. Episode 5 almost felt like an episode of its own with the Forest of Eternal Darkness setting.

It's also harsh reality that our main characters can't always save everyone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:35 am Reply with quote
Ok...
We're five episodes in and, I think, we've got everyone seen in the OP at least some screentime. Finally. I wondered how those twins were gonna fit in. Well if serving Theo could get them the possibility of getting back at the Black Witch, why not?

So, as others have stated with episode four's ending, we're now kinda back at square one. That's not a bad thing. Maybe the pace of the narrative can slow down just a bit.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

I've been watching some of the Hammer Dracula films so I loved the whole look and feel of the episode. And to my shock, I was actually invested and enjoyed it. I kind of wish the show would've just had this as the first episode and just did some flashbacks about the events of the first four. I'm looking forward to next week's episode which is something I haven't felt about the show before.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

Who is this Rossini dude and why does Theo seem to dislike him? Is this some detail we are not aware of or was it mentioned in passing in some episode? That hostility between Theo and Rossini was completely lost on me since I had no idea who that dude was.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:56 pm Reply with quote
^I think Rossini was the guy who was behind one of the attacks against Siluca and Theo? I'm actually not sure, but to be fair, this show goes so fast it's hard to keep track of all the background characters. Anyone familiar with the books, feel free to make a graph...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4