• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Subscription Questions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kow626

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I've visited this site for years but I don't come here nearly as often anymore due to the responsibilities of life but I don't mind at all giving a little something to help pay the bills. I know cryptocurrencies can be volatile but it's an option you may want to look into for those that may want to give but not as much as you're asking. And then there are those like me that don't want to subscribe because the extra features would quite honestly be useless. Crypto aside, you should be looking at other payment options. Paypal is NOT the final answer. They have plenty of competition for you to use.

Maybe you could have a low cost feature to give people larger avatars, avatar signatures (if that's what they're called), animated avatars, the ability to change their username once a year or whatever. Little stuff like that that regular users here would probably use (and if moderation and coding allows for it). But...you need a lower priced option and a payment processor with lower fees if you wanna make more money.
Alexander Morou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:46 am Reply with quote
You mention on your Subscription page that you don't allow Month to Month. A lot of websites offer a month to month at a slightly higher cost (where annual is cheaper, because it's all at once).

If you could offer a separate monthly membership at say $1.50 per month, PayPal would get their share, and you'd get yours.

It'd also offer people the chance to cancel at any time and you may increase your overall subscribers, because they can cancel at any time.
Felkyr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:34 am Reply with quote
I'm interested in supporting the site, not so much on reopening a PayPal account.

Feel free to e-mail me when it's possible to pay with debit card.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:33 am Reply with quote
Felkyr wrote:
I'm interested in supporting the site, not so much on reopening a PayPal account.

Likewise still waiting when a different option is added Neutral
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Felkyr wrote:

Unfortunately I don't know if we'll ever be able to accept domestic debit cards for any particular country (Although the Cirrus and Plus networks are international, online payments using debit cards seem to be completely domestic things for now), but credit card payments without PayPal are on the horizon. I had hoped to implement it this month, but looks like we're running around 3 months late on that.

That said, if we do end up with a payment processor that accepts debit cards (from some countries at least), it would definitely be a plus for us.
Xhertas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:07 am Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
Felkyr wrote:

Likewise still waiting when a different option is added Neutral

I second that, I don't have the option of paying with Paypal right now but I would definitely support this site if you let me pay with a credit or debit card.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:54 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately the PayPal issue remains unchanged, but I'll definitely let you know when it is.
YourDad84

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:37 am Reply with quote
No credit card. Please send emails when we can use our debit. I’d love to give support!
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:36 am Reply with quote
I suggest allowing at least gift subscriptions to be purchased using existing PayPal funds rather than only with a subscription funded directly from a credit card. I’d intended to subscribe a couple of times in the past but ran into this. When I saw that gift subscriptions were available I thought that’d provide a solution since it’d be a one-off payment, but, nope.
Fouz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:21 pm Reply with quote
If Its My Belief "Donation" Is Futile Let It Be

'Anime'

Know That Even Then You See Four Yourself A

God

Fouz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I've been consuming this site for what feels like forever. I love the Encyclopedia and the AnnCast (Is it in Limbo? I'm still catching up.) I don't mind the ads, but I got a subscription anyway, just to donate.

Maybe a donation button? Knowing its a 30% cut to PayPal, I'd gladly pay a different way it it means my money goes further.

Also, it would be cool if we could toggle the ads on/off. I don't see an option for it, but I'd like to keep them on anyway, if it supports you guys.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Thanks 891950!

The 30% commission to paypal was only a problem when we accepted $3 payments. Now that the minimum payment is $9, we're looking at a much lower %.

You can turn on&off various kinds of ads here: animenewsnetwork.com/my/subscription/
hugonun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:15 pm Reply with quote
As an alternative to PayPal, I can recommend Stripe, which is used on websites like Kickstarter.

Quoting from their website:

Quote:
[We] accept all major debit and credit cards from customers in every country.

They also accept CVC/AVS checks, wire transfers and wallets like Google/Apple/Microsoft/WeChat Pay.

The fees can be found here.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Has there been any progress on this problem? My subscription expires in three months and I would very much like to renew, but it's not going to happen if I have to open a PayPal account to do it. I've been a subscriber for many years but it may well end if a solution is not found.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:17 am Reply with quote
Not yet, but I think we'll have a solution in place for you by the time your subscription expires!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5