• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Macross Creator Shoji Kawamori Thinks Recent Anime Are Too Similar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:20 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I guess Mr. Kawamori does not watch much anime or is looking in the wrong places because anime is more varied than ever. There is stuff for all audiences.

That's his point.

For an example, a year or two ago you had Asterisk War which had Rakudai no Calvary in the same season - almost completely identical with small variations. SAO came out, and there was a ton of MMO Anime. Denmachi basically started the Fantasy Anime craze in recent years. Heck, look at all those variations of School Anime. Just how many more variations of School Anime until people just have enough, due to over saturation?

He's wanting Anime to have new and original ideas, not tweaking someone's work.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
You rehashed Genesis of Aquarion twice(Evol also had a magic high-school in it) and Macross Delta was not all that much different from Frontier, Kawamori. I like you as a creator but pot, meet kettle.

Kawamori had nothing to do with Logos, so it was only once.

He didn't even design the main robot.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
Isn't the problem with similarities of animes due to the fact the anime industry is in trouble.

Many of these late night animes we end up seeing are little more than advertisements of manga and light novels vs original works such as his Macross series.

Shoji Kawamori still is able to make more creative products for us to watch, but there isn't alot money out there funding new anime series. It takes something that sells enough keep them sustained.

I'm totally shocked that Yamato 2199 and it's sequel 2202 are able come out. Yes, it's old franchise, but aside from that it's not carbon copy of other shows. It's high quality animation and great writers. Gundam is fed by model making people, thus why we get Gundam series every other year or short ova series.

I like Macross series, until Delta. Delta was train wreck, it almost ruined the franchise for me. Singing maybe important, but it shoudn't dominate plot to the point the action isnt that exciting or pilots are so OP it's boring or their predictablely dead man flying.

Everything else is just barely funded shows, with 10-12 episodes. If their lucky. Alot of them tropes being rode on for a while.

If, Kawamori wants less carbon copies of shows airing, he should put his money where his mouth is and try promote and make original shows and get others to do the same.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:30 am Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
As much as US Gundam fans deride Wing, it was pretty much a huge gateway for most into the franchise.

But that's my POINT. The same is true for original Macross back in the early 80s. Now people are saying "how can Gundam fans hate it, look at X series from the mid 2000s". For people who were fans of Seed, Macross might have been a gateway for them.

A good comparison might be Star Wars fans that hate the animated shows by Disney (Clone Wars, Rebels). I'm sure there's a bunch of Star Wars fans that think things that were done in those shows were an affront to the legacy, but in 20 years there will doubtless be people that watched them as kids that will appreciate the newer bits.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:15 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:
As much as US Gundam fans deride Wing, it was pretty much a huge gateway for most into the franchise.

But that's my POINT. The same is true for original Macross back in the early 80s. Now people are saying "how can Gundam fans hate it, look at X series from the mid 2000s". For people who were fans of Seed, Macross might have been a gateway for them.

A good comparison might be Star Wars fans that hate the animated shows by Disney (Clone Wars, Rebels). I'm sure there's a bunch of Star Wars fans that think things that were done in those shows were an affront to the legacy, but in 20 years there will doubtless be people that watched them as kids that will appreciate the newer bits.

OK then, my apologies, carry on then.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
modern anime now: alternate world bs trope feat. super dense plain-looking harem king + some angry bunch of sassy teenagers. 2018 is obviously idol-animepocalypse and kpop randomly topping every Japanese charts. He makes a good old point.
Marzan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Well Mr. Kawamori, you can start by not rehashing yourself. Macross Delta had every cliché and convention in the book and literally reproduced the finale of Frontier in its entirety.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I feel like he is not wrong though. A lot of anime play it safe these days and reuse a lot of old tropes & cliches. Black Clover is a great example of what he's talking about in my opinion.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
Personally I liked his AKB0048, especially the first season.

I did find it amusing that in an article criticizing the industry for sameness comes the announcement that the next production from this collaboration will be an isekai show! Yeah, we don't really have enough of those now. If it were something like Juuni Kokuki or Escaflowne it might be worth the effort, but that's not where the market is I suspect.

The tolerance of the industry for experimentation and original productions varies with its economic circumstances. The mid-2000's brought us shows like Noein, Mononoke, and Dennou Coil. We saw fewer such shows after the recession, but they have begun to reappear in the past couple of years. We even have an excellent new studio, Studio 3Hz, joining ones like P. A. Works with a commitment to original productions. This year saw Princess Principal, Little Witch Academia, Sakura Quest, Shingeki no Bahamut, and Re:Creators to name a few.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I did find it amusing that in an article criticizing the industry for sameness comes the announcement that the next production from this collaboration will be an isekai show! Yeah, we don't really have enough of those now. If it were something like Juuni Kokuki or Escaflowne it might be worth the effort, but that's not where the market is I suspect.
Well this season we had 3 male idol shows, 2 female idol shows, 2 reverse harem shows, 2 killing game shows, and zero isekai shows. I get that isekai shows tend to get a bit of controversy but in terms of numbers there are several genres that are more common.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I get that isekai shows tend to get a bit of controversy but in terms of numbers there are several genres that are more common.

Perhaps not this season, but their share of productions has certainly increased over the past few years, no? Especially the ones centered around videogaming?

Look at Studio 3Hz. While both Flip Flappers and Princess Principal have obvious roots in various anime genres, they still come across as fresh and original stories that stand apart from the majority of contemporary shows. Trigger's Kill la Kill is in the same boat.

There are many under-served genres in anime today, particularly science-fiction. If they're going to focus on anime-original productions, couldn't they pick something more unusual than isekai?
vision33r

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
What he is complaining is that any anime production must be approved by the studio has to follow certain checklist or template or they will get rejected. The studio houses thinks that fans only follow certain genres, styles, and stories. There is no wiggle room for experiment or diversion stories since there is very little financial backing. Kawamori not directly involved in all of the entire animes processes since he is one of the producer and he has to get budget and marching orders from studio bosses.

This is exactly like hollywood too, you get tons of super hero or weird fantasy movies because the studios thinks that's what the market wants or viewers would pay to see regardless how original or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3