• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Complaint about moderator hypocrisy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nate148

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Funny the only people whining about the mods are those who get modded for being jerks. Keep up the good work guys.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:39 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

I don’t understand where the disconnect is here man, we’re not talking about our expectations been enforced, we’re talking about the mods and contributors following the rules like the rest of us have to.

The moderators and staff are held to the same rules and expectations. When they break *my* rules they answer to me. I don't always see it, but when I do, there *can* be hell to pay. Several of them have had phone calls where they were told to leave the forum for a while, or consider finding a new job.

I would like to believe this, but based on what happened in this thread, I have a very hard time doing so. Maybe things happen behind the scenes that no one knows about, but that doesn't inspire confidence, particularly when complaints are made publicly and then rationalizations are offered.

I am glad that the rules were changed to address racists/nazis etc in order to empower mods to act against such individuals, as I think they should not be welcomed at ANN. Yes, having people skirt the rules in order to push a bigoted agenda is a serious problem that undoubtedly contributes to toxicity, and I am glad to see ANN taking a stand against that. However, this change is not going to fix the toxicity of the forums. The toxicity in the forums will not be fixed until everyone running this site decides that it needs to stop, and I don't know that that decision has truly been made. The fact is if you can read through this thread and nod your head and say "Everything is Awesome," you believe that a certain type of toxicity is acceptable or even good, as long as it is used against individuals that certain people don't like (or as long as it is done by a mod). You are then endorsing the continuation of toxic forums at ANN. I don't think you can get around this no matter how you try to argue it.

Some may have wondered why I stopped posting several months ago. It is because I personally made a decision that the forum is too cruel, to open to abuse, and too tolerating of personal attacks. The problem isn't whether a rule outlaws those things or not. My understanding of the rules is that those things have been outlawed for a long time. The problem is that the rules are selectively enforced, which I think is demonstrated by this very thread. When I can point out in lengthy detail how a mod is abusing the rules and then be told that evidence doesn't really matter because this is not a court of law, that is a big problem. Also, when Blood- can admit that there are people openly making insulting comments about a user in a subscriber forum and that is just treated as the norm, that is a problem. You can ignore this post. You can ignore this thread. And the toxicity isn't going to go away. It is only going to get worse.

I read through the other threads and noticed how the mod discussed in this thread stated multiple times about how he would like to expand this new directive about hate speech to include people he deems breaking the spirit of the rules. I would assume that he would be all too happy to direct that to individuals such as myself, if I were still participating. In other words, start moderating people because he thinks they argue too much or don't "accept other people's opinions" or whatever similar vague, provably false positions were taken at various points. Maybe that will happen, I'm not sure but I decided to focus on other things rather than expose myself to that.

Again, stop allowing toxicity when it is coming from certain people or directed at certain people, or this problem will get worse even if the bigots are removed. I still remember years ago when Zac and Theron seemed to be the main people handling mod duties, and Zac would actually moderate himself if he thought he went too far on something. As a result, I felt like he was a very honorable person. That type of self-reflection has long since died here, which kinda sucks.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:18 pm Reply with quote
So after the new forum rules thread was locked and the discussion ended (by Tempest no less) you're trying to drag that discussion over into this thread to use it to help fuel your own personal issue with the mods (me primarily). Issues that basically stem from us warning you several times in the past to behave when you've been a disturbance. What a wonderful example of soap boxing and bad faith arguing. You know, the things the new rules are going to address. Tempest has already said we are accountable to him and Zac so you can stop your own personal soap boxing at this point. If you have that much of an issue then by all means PM them directly. Any further posts however that attempt to continue the previous discussion, or continue on with your own personal vendetta, will be removed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3