• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast's Best Anime of 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:15 am Reply with quote
To me, the worst 2017 anime is Hand Shakers because of the series name and the brocon character.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
This microbe's top 5 goes like this:

5: Land of the Lustrous: Visually it's a gem of a series (pun completely intended), and story-wise, it's pretty interesting. However, I've yet to make a strong connection to it and I hope they continue the story.

4: Youkai Apartment: I was always excited to see and read this series, but I feel they could've executed it a bit better. The second opening was a disaster, but Yuushi is a MC I like due to his personality.

3: The Ancient Magus Bride: I've always had a strong connection to this series, and it makes me excited to reread it. I definitely think this series has the best soundtrack of the year. And if you don't believe me, just listen to spoiler[Lindel's Song].

2: Inuyashiki: The MC is the most unconventional one Oku Hiroya could've ever thought of, and he made it work. I was always rooting for Ichiro, and I cried with the ending of both manga and anime. Also, MAN WITH A MISSION!!

1: Welcome to the Ballroom: Animation, giraffe necks and lack of proper ballroom dance music notwithstanding, this was my series of the year. A lot of people may disagree, but seeing my favorite manga animated was always a satisfying end to my Saturdays.

Honorable mentions: A Centaur's Life, Isekai Shokudou, Love Is Like a Cocktail and Just Because! I don't watch a lot of anime, but 2017 was the best year for me anime-wise. And with Golden Kamuy, Card Captor Sakura, 3D Kanojo and Captain Tsubasa coming up next year, I have to say I'm a satisfied microbe. Merry Christmas, fellow weirdos.
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I will never understand the level of ire Neo Yokio draws from the anime fandom. So many people seem to think the show is played straight, when its very clearly parody. Everything from the dialogue to the background music (they intentionally pair scenes with classical music that doesn't fit the mood of the scene) is done to be silly. Everyone who produced it is in on the joke, except maybe a couple of the voice actors (I'm pretty sure Jaden Smith took his role 100% seriously). Is it going to be everyone's thing? Of course not. But the amount of absolute loathing for it online seems rather unwarranted.

I'm not trying to say it's secretly brilliant. It's not. But it's a fun parody of both anime and high brow entertainment, and probably the single best advertising scheme for Toblerone ever devised.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Roxas4ever wrote:
But the amount of absolute loathing for it online seems rather unwarranted.

I don't see much "loathing" for it at all, to be honest. I see exactly the kind of amused mocking that we got in this podcast. If it's so bad-it's-good, a parody, or whatever else, it's clearly functioning as highly entertaining material that most people seem to enjoy as trash.
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:23 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I don't see much "loathing" for it at all, to be honest. I see exactly the kind of amused mocking that we got in this podcast. If it's so bad-it's-good, a parody, or whatever else, it's clearly functioning as highly entertaining material that most people seem to enjoy as trash.

There is some really mean-spirited bitching about it on YouTube and Tumblr. And while I agree that the comments in this podcast are more on the light-hearted side, there have been reviews and comments on this site that gave the impression that the reviewers didn't get it was a joke, and were disgusted by the whole thing Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2