• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Lettering Opportunties?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DreamFeather

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Hello everyone! I am new to ANN, so I apologize in advance if my topic should be in another category.
I've been working in publishing for almost three years (not a major company), and I have my eyes on doing lettering for manga. I have experience in using InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator for book production (i.e. children's books and young adult novels). What are sources I can use to seek lettering gigs? I am from the U.S.!

Thank you!

Last edited by DreamFeather on Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
horseradish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps check the manga company websites for staff openings or send a cold call (likely not very effective). Having industry connections that can offer recommendations is probably the most helpful along with relevant experience.

Here's a 2013 ANN forum thread about the subject with some participants who work in the manga industry, notably Vertical_Ed:
How to get a job retouching/lettering manga? Breaking in?

Mentions helpful skills or experience for manga lettering:
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4508977#4508977
http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/working/2017/10/what_it_s_like_to_be_a_comic_book_letterer.html
DreamFeather

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:39 pm Reply with quote
horseradish wrote:
Perhaps check the manga company websites for staff openings or send a cold call (likely not very effective). Having industry connections that can offer recommendations is probably the most helpful along with relevant experience.

I hope I am replying correctly. Once again, I am new to AWN's interface. ^^' I am making a list of publishers to contact. Do you have any recommendations?

Here's a 2013 ANN forum thread about the subject with some participants who work in the manga industry, notably Vertical_Ed:
How to get a job retouching/lettering manga? Breaking in?

This forum post is definitely a good, informative read. Thanks for sharing this!

Mentions helpful skills or experience for manga lettering:
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4508977#4508977
http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/working/2017/10/what_it_s_like_to_be_a_comic_book_letterer.html

Hmmm....looks like I should make an account with Slate to read the article. All of this is useful. Thank you for showing these sources to me! Smile
horseradish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:08 am Reply with quote
DreamFeather wrote:
horseradish wrote:

I hope I am replying correctly. Once again, I am new to AWN's interface. ^^' I am making a list of publishers to contact. Do you have any recommendations?

I have no experience working in the manga industry, so I can only at most speculate as a consumer and offer typical advice. However, I will stress that Digital Manga Publishing...should be regarded with some prudence. I can list current companies that publish manga, though some focus more on Western comics.

Dark Horse Comics
Digital Manga Publishing
FAKKU (NSFW, hentai)
Kodansha Comics
One Peace Books
Seven Seas Entertainment
Udon Entertainment
Vertical
Viz Media
Yen Press
Drawn & Quarterly (mostly Western comics)
Fantagraphics (mostly Western comics)
Top Shelf Productions (IDW imprint, mostly Western comics)

Minor note: This website, Anime News Network, is abbreviated ANN. Maybe confusion with Animation World Network (AWN)?
DreamFeather wrote:
horseradish wrote:

Hmmm....looks like I should make an account with Slate to read the article. All of this is useful. Thank you for showing these sources to me! Smile

I've archived the Slate article here. Good luck with the job search! Very Happy
DreamFeather

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:33 pm Reply with quote
horseradish wrote:
DreamFeather wrote:
horseradish wrote:

I have no experience working in the manga industry, so I can only at most speculate as a consumer and offer typical advice. However, I will stress that Digital Manga Publishing...should be regarded with some prudence. I can list current companies that publish manga, though some focus more on Western comics.

Dark Horse Comics
Digital Manga Publishing
FAKKU (NSFW, hentai)
Kodansha Comics
One Peace Books
Seven Seas Entertainment
Udon Entertainment
Vertical
Viz Media
Yen Press
Drawn & Quarterly (mostly Western comics)
Fantagraphics (mostly Western comics)
Top Shelf Productions (IDW imprint, mostly Western comics)

Minor note: This website, Anime News Network, is abbreviated ANN. Maybe confusion with Animation World Network (AWN)?
DreamFeather wrote:
horseradish wrote:

I've archived the Slate article here. Good luck with the job search! Very Happy

Oh, my browser made a quick correction. Sorry for the confusion. I mean to type ANN!

Thank you for the list! Hopefully, I can figure out a way to reach someone there.

Hmm...I am still having an issue with accessing the Slate article. Not sure why, but the Wayback machine says it is not archived. I guess I will sign up for the trial just for a quick peek. Smile

I am taking a look at Digital Manga Publishing; its Glassdoor reviews are appalling. Sad
horseradish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I'd stay away from DMP; they are shady. The Careers section on their website alone suggests that young, unpaid interns do a great deal of the work. The responsibilities listed for the unpaid Production/Marketing/PR Intern position are almost absurd. Even with that cost-cutting measure, they still crowdfund nearly all their releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1