• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
'Shaman King' Trademark Listed Under Kodansha

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
I read Shaman King up to fourteen volumes and watched the entire 4Kids dub of the Anime. I really hope this means Shaman King is getting an Omnibus release from Kodansha and hopefully Shaman King Flowers may see the light of day in North America. Yet, I do not want to get my hopes up too much.

But between the Omnibus for Gantz by Dark Horse getting announced. Now possibly an omnibus for Shaman King and the "True End" getting released. Two series I always wanted to desperately finish might be within reach

Shaman King has to be one of the biggest victims of stupid-ass dub name changes in all of 4Kids.

How hard can it be to say "Hao?!" I just basically said it twice! For God's sake, "ZEKE!?" Seriously!? And yes, who could forget the ever-so-awful "Trey Racer?" Poor Horohoro...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:

Shaman King has to be one of the biggest victims of stupid-ass dub name changes in all of 4Kids.

They pretty much all we're.
Ame_Sama19

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
It's really interesting to me that Kodansha holds the licence in Japan now even. Does that often happen for Shonen Jump titles? I can't remember hearing something like that before.

A lot of titles have moved from Shuiesha to other compaines, Fist of the North Star, City Hunter, Cat's Eye, Saint Seiya, Pajama na Kanojo, Hadashi no Gen and more. Tho they won't get any money from future projects involving these titles, they still use them for video games of Shonen Jump.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Ame_Sama19 wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:
It's really interesting to me that Kodansha holds the licence in Japan now even. Does that often happen for Shonen Jump titles? I can't remember hearing something like that before.

A lot of titles have moved from Shuiesha to other compaines, Fist of the North Star, City Hunter, Cat's Eye, Saint Seiya, Pajama na Kanojo, Hadashi no Gen and more. Tho they won't get any money from future projects involving these titles, they still use them for video games of Shonen Jump.

So that's why Seiya wasn't in those ads from Shueisha published in December
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:35 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
Parsifal24 wrote:
I read Shaman King up to fourteen volumes and watched the entire 4Kids dub of the Anime. I really hope this means Shaman King is getting an Omnibus release from Kodansha and hopefully Shaman King Flowers may see the light of day in North America. Yet, I do not want to get my hopes up too much.

But between the Omnibus for Gantz by Dark Horse getting announced. Now possibly an omnibus for Shaman King and the "True End" getting released. Two series I always wanted to desperately finish might be within reach

How hard can it be to say "Hao?!" I just basically said it twice! For God's sake, "ZEKE!?" Seriously!? And yes, who could forget the ever-so-awful "Trey Racer?" Poor Horohoro...

On the other hand, some name changes were understandable like the Token Black guy, Chocolove, being renamed "Joco" (though, I personally would have gone for "Jocolove" since it's similar to the original name without sounding racist). Despite that, when you get right down to it, it was still one of 4Kids' better dubs. In the very least, they were allowed to mention death (which was probably unavoidable since ghosts were the centerpiece for this series). Hell, one of the last episodes got controversy because of how brutal it was, even for 4Kids. Though, I'd still hope for either Viz or Funimation to do a redub. I bet the dubbing rights are open now since 4Kids hasn't done anything with this series in 12 years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2