• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HIDIVE Streams 4 Former Anime Strike-Exclusive Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Araragifeels

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
This further suggests that the Amazon-Sentai deal could indeed be over. If that is the case, I hope the move to HIDIVE is profitable enough for Sentai, and that they will be able to compete with Funi-CR for top quality shows.

Unless AnimeStrike is dead, I don't see HIDIVE getting anything great since Crunchyroll, Funimation, Aniplex, Viz, AnimeStrike, Netflix could outbid them for many of the show specially that Funimation is getting more fund from Sony.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
This is quite interesting. I'm surprised that Amazon's side of the deal didn't come with completely exclusive streaming rights.

This is quite interesting. I'm surprised that Amazon or Netflix was allowed to be a licensor at all give they treat their anime simulcasts or lack thereof, in the case of the former (sucks Netflix Japan does have anime simulcasts).
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Araragifeels wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
This further suggests that the Amazon-Sentai deal could indeed be over. If that is the case, I hope the move to HIDIVE is profitable enough for Sentai, and that they will be able to compete with Funi-CR for top quality shows.

Unless AnimeStrike is dead, I don't see HIDIVE getting anything great since Crunchyroll, Funimation, Aniplex, Viz, AnimeStrike, Netflix could outbid them for many of the show specially that Funimation is getting more fund from Sony.

Crunchyroll and Funimation are the thougher competition because Aniplex USA gets like 2 titles per season, Viz only gets 1-2 shows per season, Amazon seems content with their Noitamina and Animeism deals and Netflix seems to be moving away from licencing to focus on developing true anime originals.

With 35+ new shows debuting every season, there is enough for every company. Sentai can probably license 6-8 shows per season. The big question is how many of those shows are of top quality, and not just leftovers.
Araragifeels

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
[quote="angelmcazares"]
Araragifeels wrote:

Crunchyroll and Funimation are the thougher competition because Aniplex USA gets like 2 titles per season, Viz only gets 1-2 shows per season, Amazon seems content with their Noitamina and Animeism deals and Netflix seems to be moving away from licencing to focus on developing true anime originals.

With 35+ new shows debuting every season, there is enough for every company. Sentai can probably license 6-8 shows per season. The big question is how many of those shows are of top quality, and not just leftovers.

I believe that 1 or 2 probably are quality while the rest are scrapped. Crunchyroll and Funimation are trying to get all the big quality shows and since Funi are getting more funds from Sony, they are able to get more shows so it make it harder on Sentai. I am happy that Netflix are doing their original anime so I don't have to worry for months to see an anime delay for a season. Well I hoping that AnimeStrike just have timed exclusives anime license from now on.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:23 am Reply with quote
There are huge differences between regions, guys. I have Land of the Lustrous on HIDIVE Cool, but funimation doesn't have a lot to offer to my country. I can watch a few series on youtube and that's it. Many are blocked. Not all streaming services go global. Chrunchy does do that and HIDIVE seems to be doing it as well.
+ 光

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Araragifeels wrote:
I believe that 1 or 2 probably are quality while the rest are scrapped. Crunchyroll and Funimation are trying to get all the big quality shows and since Funi are getting more funds from Sony, they are able to get more shows so it make it harder on Sentai. I am happy that Netflix are doing their original anime so I don't have to worry for months to see an anime delay for a season. Well I hoping that AnimeStrike just have timed exclusives anime license from now on.

2 - 3 sounds about right if you look at recent history. Sentai got
in Winter: Some shows still went to CR?
in Spring: New service / Anime Strike - No stand out show
in Summer: Made in Abyss and Princess Principal
in Fall: Land of the Lustrous, Girl's Last Tour, and Just Because! (less popular but still good)
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Maybe once Hidive gets out of beta, but right now they are an exercise in frustration. Their player and website are buggy, requiring a half-dozen or more page refreshes to get the video to load, or show subs, or show the right subs, or not show subs when you're watching a dub. It seems to randomly decide at times that you're using more than one stream when you are clearly not.

Their library is good, and this shows they can puck up some good series, but I much rather they get their platform working properly than rushing to build up a library that is so difficult to watch. They have the potential to be a major force in the streaming business, but I'd like them to fix their service first so the effort at collecting titles isn't wasted.
+ 光

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:45 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
Maybe once Hidive gets out of beta, but right now they are an exercise in frustration. Their player and website are buggy, requiring a half-dozen or more page refreshes to get the video to load, or show subs, or show the right subs, or not show subs when you're watching a dub. It seems to randomly decide at times that you're using more than one stream when you are clearly not.

Their library is good, and this shows they can puck up some good series, but I much rather they get their platform working properly than rushing to build up a library that is so difficult to watch. They have the potential to be a major force in the streaming business, but I'd like them to fix their service first so the effort at collecting titles isn't wasted.

Don’t you think the problem lies with your internet / computer? Because the site works fine for me.

It just requires - by my standard - ridiculous internet speed for higher quality streams (Land of the Lustrous sometimes required 10mbs for 720 where CR only requires less than 4mbs. So yeah, if Hidive could pick some streaming speeds and stick to it, that would be great.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:57 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:

Hidive works great for me. I watched a bunch of stuff and it never bugged on me. All it lacks are console apps.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:05 am Reply with quote
+ 光 wrote:

Don’t you think the problem lies with your internet / computer? Because the site works fine for me.

It just requires - by my standard - ridiculous internet speed for higher quality streams (Land of the Lustrous sometimes required 10mbs for 720 where CR only requires less than 4mbs. So yeah, if Hidive could pick some streaming speeds and stick to it, that would be great.

Being that I have 100 Mbps download internet, my PC has a Ryzen CPU and Vega GPU, that no other streaming service I use has any of these issues (Crunchyroll, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu), in addition to multiple attempts at troubleshooting, and further confirmation of the same issues on other devices, and that it has been persistent from the time I signed up for the streaming service, no, I don't think it's an issue with my PC or my internet connection.
+ 光

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:12 am Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
Being that I have 100 Mbps download internet, my PC has a Ryzen CPU and Vega GPU, that no other streaming service I use has any of these issues (Crunchyroll, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu), in addition to multiple attempts at troubleshooting, and further confirmation of the same issues on other devices, and that it has been persistent from the time I signed up for the streaming service, no, I don't think it's an issue with my PC or my internet connection.

Then maybe your computer and internet is too good / advanced for the service? xD I don’t know what to say. Luck of the draw, my friend.

Anyway, it would be nice of Hidive keeps its current price and doesn’t increase it now that it’s getting more widespread content.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2