• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Detonation Film's Promo Video, Visual Revealed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I think this franchise is long past its expiration date.
NormanS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I disagree. Mahou shoujos with the firepower of gundams never get old.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I would love to be able to see this in theaters, but since there's nothing in New England for the first one, all hope is lost
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:

With all due respect, you think wrong. It's still very popular in Japan. And in my heart.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:

Ah, no!

You might as well apply that logic to Gundam and Macross but they keep moving on as long as the toys sell AND the financial backers see a point in giving their respective production companies the money to make new shows and movies!

They all have their silly, shitty series but there's enough good stuff to bear it and keep an eye out for the good. Gundam's definitely in a renaissance right now and healthier than the series has been in MANY years!

I'd kind of be interested in seeing Nanoha get re-licensed for the US again.

Geneon only licensed the first two shows and the compilation film hadn't hit market before Geneon USA went belly-up.

I'm sure the films could find an audience and might re-ignite interest in the TV series which got released on DVD. Madoka Magica did okay so obviously shows that aren't Sailor Moon CAN make it overseas.

Magical girls still rule in Japan!

I'll definitely look out for the movie when it gets announced.

I've been MUCH happier with the anime fans getting released in the US lately...
I don't care for the $15 ticket prices for "special event" one- or two-night showings, myself, but I don't feel like I've been ripped off so much lately by Japanese animated theatrical product as anything coming out of Hollywood lately.

Believe me, there were a BUNCH of fans watching Fate: Heaven's Feel in the theater I went to and it was probably the third or fourth playdate for that movie in my area which is a major US market. We're definitely getting a LOT of the special event anime features in Central Ohio which must mean they're making money in the area which makes sense to me since it's the industrial and financial heart of the state (for now).
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
NormanS wrote:

They got old. I mean, literally. They got old.
And there's nothing "mahou shoujo" about Nanoha anymore either. It's all science of a wacky tacky world, the magic is lost, and the girls are adults for all that matter, anything in move is non canon, and the stupidest idea is to have them as some half-loli abominations, at least use their adult form, because that's who they are now.
The franchise is just a rotten wreck of a never-ending milking wheel at this point, for action and mecha fans.

And wow that was a real off-topic weaboo wall of text from GeorgeC
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
NormanS wrote:

They got old. I mean, literally. They got old.
And there's nothing "mahou shoujo" about Nanoha anymore either. It's all science of a wacky tacky world, the magic is lost, and the girls are adults for all that matter, anything in move is non canon, and the stupidest idea is to have them as some half-loli abominations, at least use their adult form, because that's who they are now.
The franchise is just a rotten wreck of a never-ending milking wheel at this point, for action and mecha fans.

And wow that was a real off-topic weaboo wall of text from GeorgeC

Not to mention the constant "subtext" they keep pushing.

Just wish they could make a yuri magical girl series, already.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
anything in move is non canon, and the stupidest idea is to have them as some half-loli abominations, at least use their adult form, because that's who they are now.

Have you heard of the word "prequel". Also you are not the one who decides what is and what isn't canon. Officially the only thing that isn't canon is the Duel-Card spinoff manga. Everything else is canon. Yes, INCLUDING the first two movies. According to the official booklets the movies are actual movies in the Nanoha universe.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, yeah, so basically not canon. Or "canon", as you wish.
Anyways, soulless milking.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk's only gripe is that the characters grew older. For Sunny milk if the show doesn't have lolis in it, it's garbage. Unless the show has shotas in which case it's the spawn of Satan.
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
The original Madoka is back, lol. Yeah obviously inspired Madoka without a doubt. I really enjoyed the first and second season of this but the 3rd one was a let down. This seems in between so I will keep an eye out Smile
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Sunny milk's only gripe is that the characters grew older. For Sunny milk if the show doesn't have lolis in it, it's garbage. Unless the show has shotas in which case it's the spawn of Satan.

Well yeah, I definitely hate the franchise because it became anti-lolicon, and that didn't change with Vivid, especially with Strike. So yes, this is the place where you can laugh at me like "god what a silly lolicon he is disgusting xD".
BUT that's not exactly my "only gripe" with the movies especially.
Since I won't like it anyways, they should just continue the damn story, and stop using them as somewhat lolis, because lolicons hate it anyways, and the remaining fans would prefer the adult forms, and instead of some unrelated "oh yeah this also happened" stupid story, they could at least continue the story (or at least try to, since I highly doubt Tsuzuki has it in himself to do anything but bloat the cast instead of actually writing something of worth, just look at Dog Days).
This is a lose-lose situation, and a prime example of a cockroach franchise.
StarFan13

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Okay they got part 1 (Reflection) Covered what's next part 2 (Detonation) Any other 2 part flim project
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
and the remaining fans would prefer the adult forms,

Hold up mate. Where the heck did you get that from? It's just not true. The loli forms are FAR more popular both in Japan and outside of it. Just look at the merchendise. How much is it about adult Nanoha/Fate/Hayate and how much is it about the loli versions?
The loli versions are far more popular and far more profitable. Why do you even think they're making these movies? You yourself called it "milking". Why would anyone milk something that's not popular?

Also, OH MY GOD, it's been 10 years and you're still bitching about them growing up. I think I rememebr you in particular from about 10 years ago. Let it go... Geez....
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:40 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

The loli versions are far more popular and far more profitable. Why do you even think they're making these movies? You yourself called it "milking". Why would anyone milk something that's not popular?

No, they aren't more popular, or profitable. Thinking that in the first place is just stupid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1