• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses The Seven Heavenly Virtues Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Overall, though, I am disappointed with this announcement. So far, Funimation has only announced one sequel for January that I was looking forward to with Dagashi Kashi, and now Sentai has one of the others, so I'm not counting on dub continuity, or necessarily any dub at all. Hopefully, Funimation gets Overlord 2 and Saiki K. 2

I don't know about Saiki, but I don't see why Funi wouldn't get Overlord 2. IIRC the first season did pretty well for them.
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:29 pm Reply with quote
This is surprising but somewhat understandable.

Funimation's dub for Seven Mortal Sins was pretty awful (except for Asmodeus). Top seiyuu were recruited while Dave Trosko completely ignored this element and settled for mostly newcomers and directed with some questionable unnecessary accents making his talent look worse when under a different ADR Director would've been significantly better.

And regarding Bikini Warriors Funimation kind of dropped the ball on that too; not bothering to get episode 13 (when it was available)

Then shortly after more OVA episodes were released (episode 14+15) which also included an even more uncensored version of specific episodes of EP1-12 making the episode batch Funimation has an inferior video master.

Even this year episode 16 came out and episode 17 coming out in 2018, so those will probably never get licensed if sales are low because fans don't want to purchase a version that's faux uncensored.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:45 pm Reply with quote
But how can Funi judge how well Seven Mortal Sins is doing when the show isn't out on home video yet? For these ecchi censor-fest simulcast shows, it's useless to watch them streaming. I mean the thin to non-existent story is pretty much expected, so in lieu of that people are watching primiarlly for teh-(naked)-boobs comedy. This is evident as the number one complaint and cause of low ratings on CR is the censorship, as with all these shows is the constant annoying floating symbols and light beams.

FrameFreeze100 wrote:
This is surprising but somewhat understandable.

Funimation's dub for Seven Mortal Sins was pretty awful (except for Asmodeus). Top seiyuu were recruited while Dave Trosko completely ignored this element and settled for mostly newcomers and directed with some questionable unnecessary accents making his talent look worse when under a different ADR Director would've been significantly better.

And regarding Bikini Warriors Funimation kind of dropped the ball on that too; not bothering to get episode 13 (when it was available)

Then shortly after more OVA episodes were released (episode 14+15) which also included an even more uncensored version of specific episodes of EP1-12 making the episode batch Funimation has an inferior video master.

Even this year episode 16 came out and episode 17 coming out in 2018, so those will probably never get licensed if sales are low because fans don't want to purchase a version that's faux uncensored.

Thanks for that information. I wasn't aware of that and just looked it up on the interwebs, apparently the re-release of the tv eps with diffirent cuts is called "Hyper Sexy" ver.
KyonyuuFan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Most 12 episode anime releases (I find) don't have such great stories. There isn't that much time to develop good characters and plot (unlike anime like Bleach, One Piece, etc which have time to develop these aspects). So I really don't understand why they even make 5 minute episodes for animes, other than obviously saving on costs. But I thought Seven Mortal Sins was pretty standard as far as a 12 episode series goes. Pretty disappointing that this one is not going to be getting the same love. Also consider that this series will be a continuation (sequel?) to Seven Mortal Sins, which will in turn have more opportunity to expand the characters, story, and lore of the series. More than enough material to make a standard 25 minute episode series.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:47 am Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
It's pretty interesting on a meta level that the seven mortal sins are going to be voiced by Dallas actors and the seven heavenly virtues are going to be voiced by Houston actors. Gotta keep that "rivalry" going lol.

It's too bad this is only going to have 5 minute episodes though.

Assuming this show gets dubbed. Also, there is crossover with Dallas actors appearing in Sentai Filmworks dubs and vice versa.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2