• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 18-Year-Old Idol Asuka Kiraboshi Announces Pregnancy with Manager's Child

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Given their age it almost seems like a case of a kid managing another kid & ending up with a kid.
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:46 pm Reply with quote
The fact that he was in a position of authority over her while she was a minor and he was an adult is what makes this worrying.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Did this guy skip orientation? Pretty sure they tell you that having relations with the talent is a huge no no.
TheJohnny3046

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
So... what does this have to do with Anime? I thought this was an Anime news website?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
None of the betrayal stuff makes sense, and I gotta admit, I'm a little happy with the development if it means she's able to be in a relationship as an idol, because thinking about how stripped of basic human rights these people often are makes me want to puke.

As always, idol fans and their idol culture in general make no sense at all.
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Wait she was 16 and he was 20 when they started dating? I’m not familiar with Japanese law, but isn’t there something protecting minors from this? Shocked Unless of course they knew each other from when they were younger...

Japanese laws aren't American laws. People seem to subconsciously believe that America is the basis for everything. Even in the UK the legal age for sex is 16 years and in Japan it is as low as 13 in some areas. So no, she likely wasn't a minor.
Skydrop

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
but why this news needs to became public?
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Re:SOUL wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:
Wait she was 16 and he was 20 when they started dating? I’m not familiar with Japanese law, but isn’t there something protecting minors from this? Shocked Unless of course they knew each other from when they were younger...

Japanese laws aren't American laws. People seem to subconsciously believe that America is the basis for everything. Even in the UK the legal age for sex is 16 years and in Japan it is as low as 13 in some areas. So no, she likely wasn't a minor.

Thats a common misconception. There are two tiny islands (both of which wikipedia says have a population of 0) that don't have an age of consent of 18.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Skydrop wrote:
but why this news needs to became public?

Because she is a public figure. People would have wondered why she randomly stopped performing if she didn't say anything, or if she tried to hide it, they'd quickly find out as soon as she starts getting a little baby showing.
Basroil

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
The most important need to know is, how do you be the manager (at 20) of a sixteen year old idol?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, this guy's career as a producer/manager is done. Her career as an idol is done. I hope they both have good fallback occupations in order to support their family.
micah007

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
People don't seem to understand how young and childlike people under 20 really are, most are not nor should they be considered adults honestly. Nonetheless I wish the best for them.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
The four-year-gap is not that bad, in my opinion. When they started, the manager just became a legal adult the same year, and the girl was old enough to have quit school and go work somewhere else. And people seem to dismiss that the manager is going to take responsibility and stay by her side as the child's father. They are serious about their relationship. He could have persuaded her to abort the child to save both of their careers, but since they've apparently planned it, it's not something half-assed.

TheJohnny3046 wrote:
So... what does this have to do with Anime? I thought this was an Anime news website?

Simple. This site reports a lot of stuff from Japanese culture in general, not just anime. This kind of stuff has happened in several anime shows before, and the idol genre is also extremely popular. Many otaku are also idol fans, and not all anime otaku are only into anime stuff. Some seiyuus are idols themselves. Several idol groups do perform songs for anime. They are not completely seperate.

Last edited by MajinAkuma on Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Actar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
That kneejerk reaction when minors are involved without checking out all the facts. Luckily enough, she was obviously over 18 when they had sex as it's easy enough to trace back when she got pregnant from the delivery date. While it doesn't rule out the possibility that they were doing it earlier, we can't even prove it.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:03 pm Reply with quote
While I do not generally approve of a manager sleeping with a co-worker/client I honestly don't see what all the rage over this is for. From a western fan perspective. They're only 4 years apart in age. Whether they started having sex at 16/20 or 18/22 the age gap hardly makes it some sort of disgusting pairing in comparison to say a 30's or 40's manager sleeping with their teenage client. Secondly, if they really do love each other and this is what they want....who cares? They're both adults now so if they want to start a family, planned or not intentional, let them.

As for the Japanese fans and their reactions.....it's not surprising in the least but it is still sad. Another by-product of the idol industry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7