• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 18-Year-Old Idol Asuka Kiraboshi Announces Pregnancy with Manager's Child

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Her due date, according to the article, is in June this upcoming year, so I assume the pregnancy itself was initiated in August or September, most likely. It also sounds like they have had discussions on the subject, so although I feel the two of them are a bit young for impending parenthood, power imbalances aside, it looks like the both of them are at least acting somewhat sensible about this.

And quite frankly, every time I read something about an idol challenging the infantile behavior of their fans fills me with schadenfreudish glee. So on THAT thought, I wish them both the best.
RahviTheColorful

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Or you can be charismatic, good looking, and pick up schoolgirls off the streets.

Considering I can't find any recording label for "Star-Bright" or any actual internet presence whatsoever, I highly doubt this guy actually went to school to be an idol manager. Likely something he just started on his own in the underground to get with cute high school girls.

EDIT: Yeah, this girl has less than 1000 followers on Twitter. She probably fell to a charismatic predator "talent scout" who promised her the world, but hey, if she's happy then I guess that's all that matters.

It's also possible this girl is an independent idol and the guy knew her all along and just did the part of the manager for her.

I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt when there's no real reason not to - they seem happy together, and they're both really young.
Besides, if she says they're been dating for 2 years, her career must probably be longer than that, dude was also barely out of high school himself.
Niyari

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
the most a 20 year old should ever be a manager of is a lemonade stand. funny responses tho. betrayed lol
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
I think it's just about the right age gap and power balance for a shoujo manga, honestly. I mean, is it not a shoujo manga plot already?
It does sound like a plot from a shoujo manga in which an idol falls in love with her manager, has a child with him, and despite what everyone tells her continues to be an idol. Granted I doubt this story will get a shoujo ending because generally speaking the real world is not that nice.
Sparvid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I haven't checked Twitter, but the comments on the blog seems to mostly be people commenting on the power imbalance / unprofessionalism, and saying that their claim to keep working in the industry is a bit naive and sounds like they don't understand how much time and money it would take to raise a child (who of course can't be blamed for the circumstances of its birth).
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I believe I've seen hentai about this scenario...
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Poor girl, her career is over (unlike here where it wouldn't be).

Tell that to Britney Spears's sister Wink
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
i think we can all agree that the most shocking thing here is that they were dating when she was 16, because we all knew the fans would react the way they did because they are super obsessive
robertbaldie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:29 am Reply with quote
A real non story this one.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:09 am Reply with quote
Oh boy, this is perhaps already giving somebody an idea to write a manga or LN with this type of situation (wouldn't doubt it's already happened).
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:26 am Reply with quote
Considering how 2017 has gone for the entertainment industry in terms of certain developments, this seems rather lame. For the fans reacting the way they are, not so surprising and reminds why I'm glad I'm not in that type of phase of life. Only thing is when it suddenly becomes shotgun, who knows how long this is going to last. I can only hope that they'll be responsible enough but the real trick is to just not listen to the haters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CardamonPastel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:22 am Reply with quote
micah007 wrote:
People don't seem to understand how young and childlike people under 20 really are, most are not nor should they be considered adults honestly. Nonetheless I wish the best for them.

At 16, you're hardly young and child-like. You're a teen, old enough with enough mental cognisance to make your own decisions and understand the gravity of them. At 18, its no different. Its not like your mindset automatically changes when you hit 20. Plenty of child-like, youthful in mind 20+ year olds exist, even if they're legally considered to be adults.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:34 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
wolf10 wrote:
I think it's just about the right age gap and power balance for a shoujo manga, honestly. I mean, is it not a shoujo manga plot already?
It does sound like a plot from a shoujo manga in which an idol falls in love with her manager, has a child with him, and despite what everyone tells her continues to be an idol. Granted I doubt this story will get a shoujo ending because generally speaking the real world is not that nice.

Actually this exact scenario is one of the most common ones to be found in hentai doujinshi.

As for the age/power dynamic thing, I'm assuming that those who have zero problem with that are the same people who'd have no problem with a 22-year-old teacher having a relationship with a high school student. Rolling Eyes Like with teaching, managing is a job you shouldn't go into if you can't keep your hands off of the youths you're supposed to be guiding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:34 am Reply with quote
CardamonPastel wrote:

At 16, you're hardly young and child-like. You're a teen, old enough with enough mental cognisance to make your own decisions and understand the gravity of them. At 18, its no different. Its not like your mindset automatically changes when you hit 20. Plenty of child-like, youthful in mind 20+ year olds exist, even if they're legally considered to be adults.

On the contrary, our brains don't really finish developing a sense of long-term planning and knowledge of consequences until our mid-twenties. Teenagers are the absolute masters of making poor life decisions, often because they feel a misguided sense of invincibility. Even 18 is probably too young of a cutoff for true "adulthood," but younger than that? Forget about it.
CardamonPastel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:37 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
This one's skeevy as hell from both ends, isn't it? For one, a man in a position of authority over a minor girl pursuing a relationship with her is all kinds of wrong. And no, I don't give a damn if he's "only four years older," there's a hugely unhealthy power imbalance inherent in it that throws up all sorts of red flags. Then we have the always-putrid idol fandom with their disgusting notions about "purity," whatever the hell that's supposed to me. If that entire collective industry went up in flames tomorrow, it wouldn't be a day too soon.

Yet another person in this forum assuming all teens are dumb and incapable of making their own decisions just because a guy that's a lowly 4 YEARS OLDER THAN HER that she could have POTENTIALLY KNOWN SINCE THEY WERE YOUNG has impregnated her. There's not a real power imbalance and its not as bad as you're making it out to be.

For one, he's only 22. They'd been dating for 2 years , that means since he was 20 years old. Consent laws are different in Japan and just because they'd been dating doesn't mean they'd been having sex or being sexual when she was 16 anyway ( which would have been bad ). If she's pregnant right now, its more likely that they waited. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Secondly, like I said to another person, at 16 you have enough mental cognisance to make your own decisions, whether they're good or bad, and to comprehend the gravity of them. Just because someone's under the age of 20 and aren't legally an adult doesn't mean they didn't know what they were doing or that the older person " MANIPULATED " them into an unwanted relationship. They seem happy together and this man said he wants to devote himself to being a father. Instead of being bitter about something that has nothing to do with you, as the girl and her boyfriend had already made their decision, you can wish them the best and move on. They already have enough negativity on their plate.

" Huge power imbalance ". If he was in his late 20's-50's then that's something that would be far more problematic. But a four year difference? They're both young and stupid. He's only 22 yet he's being vilified for no reason. Crawl from under your hole and see the light. If they're happy together then good for them. You're all kinds of wrong for assuming he forced her into the relationship or something, which is what ypur comment implies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7