• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 18-Year-Old Idol Asuka Kiraboshi Announces Pregnancy with Manager's Child

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CardamonPastel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:41 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
CardamonPastel wrote:

At 16, you're hardly young and child-like. You're a teen, old enough with enough mental cognisance to make your own decisions and understand the gravity of them. At 18, its no different. Its not like your mindset automatically changes when you hit 20. Plenty of child-like, youthful in mind 20+ year olds exist, even if they're legally considered to be adults.

On the contrary, our brains don't really finish developing a sense of long-term planning and knowledge of consequences until our mid-twenties. Teenagers are the absolute masters of making poor life decisions, often because they feel a misguided sense of invincibility. Even 18 is probably too young of a cutoff for true "adulthood," but younger than that? Forget about it.

I know about that already. Okay, and? My point still stands. If our brains don't cut off from developing until our mid-twenties, then he's still in the clear. He's only 22, young and stupid, fresh into adulthood and even more so when they statted dating when he was 20. And even with that article in mind, regardless, she still made her decision. If they're happy together, it doesn't matter what we have to say about it. As long as they can support each other.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:26 am Reply with quote
Power imbalance aside (I don't think there's enough details to know what their relationship is like in that regard), it kind of blows my mind that he has to apologize to her *fans* for "her (so-called) betrayal."Like:

"Sorry I had sex with her because it makes you feel you can no longer do so in your fantasies"

If he wants to apologize to anyone, maybe he should do it to the girl who's career he helped ruin when he was supposed to be *managing* it. That's just bad management. And I use the term girl because age of majority is 20 in Japan--she's not even old enough to drink there if she weren't pregnant!

But as I said, I'd like to this is an "it takes two to tango" situation in which the dance was mutual. Besides, manga-ka Usamaru Furuya wrote in his satirical Short Cuts that Japan isn't too far from having fetal idols. So she should just continue her tour while pregnant and start a new trend!

(Yes, I'm kidding. I hope they're happy and live in an area of Japan that has decent social services, because they're probably going to need it).
Slashman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:36 am Reply with quote
"Hey person I like to hear sing and watch perform, don't have relationships with anyone...ever! It invalidates my relationship with your hug pillow."

Not enough details to really comment on the relationship itself. Still, they are both young and that kind of thing is really not uncommon, manager or not. The only real issue is if he forced this via his position of power...and that probably isn't the case. Well I hope not anyway.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:56 am Reply with quote
I think some people are misunderstanding the amount of power a manager have in the idol industry.
They are not producers.
Maneger are usually low level employees, many times they are part-timers and they work mostly as secretaries and supporters for the idols. They confirm schedules with the producers, help the idols with their training, studies, etc
They aspire to become producers, but they still have lots of work before becoming one.

About the age difference and legal troubles. Japanese law forbids sexual relationship with minors than 18. But the law also have a exemption if exist a "sincere romantic relationship" that is determined by parental approval. So if the parents approve this relationship, they are not breaking the law.

About the future. Most idols leave the industry before their 20's and go to work in other regular jobs outside the entertainment industry.
Very few become full time singers, actors, TV personalities, models or other jobs in the entertainment industry.

Their time in the entertainment industry is probably over but depending of their studies they can go to college or get another job like all that thousands of former idols and hundreds of former managers that leave the industry. It be more difficult because of the child, but with family help, they have all the future in front of them.
forexjammer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:25 am Reply with quote
I thought this was going to be one of those things from doujins where the manager is 50 years old oyaji. Thank God Im wrong.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, I wish Asuka well on her pregnancy.

Agewise there isn't anything wrong with them getting together. And it's not unusual for managers to end up marrying their talent. A good example is, Celine Dion's late husband was her manager for decades. I think what is causing the fuss is that the manager was mixing business with pleasure with one of his talent.

Obviously, the manager showed his lack of experience (and maturity) by getting close to his talent. Which as said on the previous pages, will hurt his career. Agencies will look to him as a possible liability in managing other female talent. And if this guy somehow stayed as a manager, I wouldn't be surprised he leaving Asuka for another idol.

As for Asuka, I truly hope she can overcome this challenge. Though I honestly think her career as an idol is over, she is in a highly competitive field. But it does not mean Asuka's music career is completely over, there are other avenues she can pursuit. So I wish her the best.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
the cries of betrayal of these pieces of trash are so deliciously enertaining.It never gets old to me.
Slashman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
the cries of betrayal of these pieces of trash are so deliciously enertaining.It never gets old to me.

I look at it like: There are a number of mentally disturbed fans in the idol industry who are not receiving the proper medical treatment they should be given. That kind of mindset is not healthy or sane. A pox on the industry itself for encouraging that kind of thinking with contracts and other binding agreements.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Well the idol industry makes sense it just doesn't align with western feminist values.

I miss the days when "don't have sex with teenagers" fell under the umbrella of strawman conservative values instead of strawman feminist values.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Clearly the only industry with bad fans is this one. All other industries are completely crazy free!!

But on to the actual news, I think it is a scandal in just the fact it is a Boss that is involved.She could be in her 20's and he could be in his mid or late 20's, the fact would remain that there is such an odd dynamic going on. What about if her career sours will he just jump ship?

Never mix work and romance!!
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I'll defend any healthy relationship and condemn any unhealthy one myself, but since I don't know what's going on here, I reserve judgment. It's not like I don't understand idol fans' anger, of course, but things change all the time. Don't let your attachments hurt you.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
CardamonPastel wrote:
At 16, you're hardly young and child-like. You're a teen, old enough with enough mental cognisance to make your own decisions and understand the gravity of them. At 18, its no different. Its not like your mindset automatically changes when you hit 20. Plenty of child-like, youthful in mind 20+ year olds exist, even if they're legally considered to be adults.

I hate to burst your bubble... HAHAHAHA. Oh man. I retract that statement. This was the opening I needed to start my tirade. I'm not going to be sorry. I'm going to be a sea urchin of steel and memetic liquid alloy and I'm going to burst a lot of them.

If anything that life has taught about Japan to me, it's that in comparison to the US and probably much of the western world as a whole, youths in Japan are given a greater responsibility and agenda to mature and instill into citizens of their own paths at a very young age. This may sound "cruel, barbaric, and unusual", but if you ask me, Japan's not the kind of nation that shields their youth from the truths of life, no matter how cruel and unpleasant they are. With it comes every up and down, but for the most part there are many examples that plenty of them have gained a degree of maturity that would seem almost baffling in where you live.

For example:

Hey, remember seeing shows/games/manga where some students live in lone apartments away from their parents? Yeah, that's an example. Also the example is in some after school clubs where students will stay until nightfall to exercise their pursuits without delay.

Say, remember Yu Yu Hakusho and Fist of the North Star? While over here such works are considered for older teenagers and even adults, there's a reason why they are considered Shounen in Japan. That being said, the inclusively of the possibility of death and misfortune isn't that belongs solely to these series. That's a lot more I can say about over here in the States, where that subject is rarely if ever is glossed over responsibly and even maturely in everyday life.

Hell, I can even recite some examples from the olden days. Samurai fathers would sometimes give their kids fool's errands to safe but rather potentially harrowing places like graveyards and forests to build up their bravery. Back before the Meiji Revolution, the borders of life and death were practically paper thin, and it was from this that had people encouraged to raise their children the best they can.

[Edit]: rather than edit out the snark from your final three paragraphs, I've deleted them. Please read Teh Rules, particularly regarding politeness. Errinundra.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
TheAnimeRevolutionizer, you are making a lot of assumptions based solely on Japanese pop culture, and a small part of Japanese pop culture at that.
I'm not an expert, but like other modern industrialized countries, the Japanese birth rate has been declining for decades and people wait until they are older before having kids in general. Kids living on their own is unusual in high school, and they don't necessarily move out after graduating college, either. According to a government study reported by Bloomberg*, over 3 million people between the ages of 35-44 still live with their parents. According to anecdotes reported by The Japan Times, many of them suffer from micromanaging helicopter parental behavior well into their thirties, which is a far, far cry from your claim that Japanese parents allow their kids a greater amount of independence and responsibility as opposed to American or Western European parents. Do some research before assuming that niche anime reflects reality.

*I'm posting a cut-and-paste from another forum site because the actual Bloomberg article in under a paywall. The original article is Millions of Japanese Over 35 Still Live With Mom and Dad
Edited to add: I'm not posting this to comment on whether young adult living situations are better or worse than other places, just that the claim that "we can tell from the amount of violence allowed in shonen manga that Japanese parenting techniques are superior and Japanese kids are independent and ready to have kids of their own by 20" is complete BS, and unsupported by actual statistics.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:
Well the idol industry makes sense it just doesn't align with western feminist values.

I miss the days when "don't have sex with teenagers" fell under the umbrella of strawman conservative values instead of strawman feminist values.

I know, right? Rolling Eyes
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:33 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:

Also the times when "the life of a woman you have never met doesn't belong to you" was just common decency.
xchampion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what countries y'all are from but here in the United States a 20 year old in a relationship with a 16 year old is frowned upon. It would also be considered grooming since he was in a position of power over her. It's the same reason why a teacher who let's say has sex with 18 year senior can still be arrested. I think the US should change the age of consent to 16 anyway like the UK and many other countries. I don't see the big problem especially since they didn't break any Japanese laws, even tho it would be different in my country.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7