• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 18-Year-Old Idol Asuka Kiraboshi Announces Pregnancy with Manager's Child

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Well the idol industry makes sense it just doesn't align with western feminist values. I get that some people dislike the idea of sexual innocence that the idol industry sells but honestly I don't see how it is any worse that the idea of sexual promiscuity that Hollywood sells. They both sell the idea of sex and it is simply different aspects of it. Also it is not like any of the people who complain about it are going to fly over to Japan to attend idol performances so it is very much a local issue. It is the people in Japan who spend money on merchandise and tickets that will decide where the idol industry goes.

If anything in the entertainment industry aligned with "Western" feminist values, it would cease to exist. Sex sells, regardless of what perceived innocence or promiscuity is conveyed.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
I don't know what countries y'all are from but here in the United States a 20 year old in a relationship with a 16 year old is frowned upon. It would also be considered grooming since he was in a position of power over her. It's the same reason why a teacher who let's say has sex with 18 year senior can still be arrested. I think the US should change the age of consent to 16 anyway like the UK and many other countries. I don't see the big problem especially since they didn't break any Japanese laws, even tho it would be different in my country.
The US age of consent varies depending on locality, from 16 to 18(unless the older party is in a position of power, in which case it's almost always 18). Whether teachers & faculty can get away with banging students is also a state-level matter(though dragging someone across state lines to duck the laws is a federal no-no).
sakabatou86

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
The culture clash regarding celebrity pregnancies is very interesting to say the least.
Over here it would be a scandal because it means a 16-year-old started dating a 20-year-old.
Over there it's a scandal because she's famous and people want to romanticize the idea that they could be with her.
It is something I would be very interested to learn the mentality behind.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I miss the days when "don't have sex with teenagers" fell under the umbrella of strawman conservative values instead of strawman feminist values.
That paragraph was about the idol industry or to be specific the idol industry that markets to adult men. The issue of the manager getting his idol pregnant is a tad complex and without knowing more I don't know whether the guy is a con man or an idiot. If he was a con man I doubt he would be making public comments on social media but obviously my opinion might change depending on his future actions.

Compelled to Reply wrote:
If anything in the entertainment industry aligned with "Western" feminist values, it would cease to exist. Sex sells, regardless of what perceived innocence or promiscuity is conveyed.
It is true that sex sells but I would mention that there are cultural differences in how people look at it. For example some people will complain about idol fans in Japan and how they care about sexual innocence but than they turn around and celebrate the sexual promiscuity that Hollywood sells because they agree with it. Few people really believe in cultural relativism so I guess it is not a surprise when people complain that a different culture has different values.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I miss the days when "don't have sex with teenagers" fell under the umbrella of strawman conservative values instead of strawman feminist values.
That paragraph was about the idol industry or to be specific the idol industry that markets to adult men. The issue of the manager getting his idol pregnant is a tad complex and without knowing more I don't know whether the guy is a con man or an idiot. If he was a con man I doubt he would be making public comments on social media but obviously my opinion might change depending on his future actions.

Compelled to Reply wrote:
It is true that sex sells but I would mention that there are cultural differences in how people look at it. For example some people will complain about idol fans in Japan and how they care about sexual innocence but than they turn around and celebrate the sexual promiscuity that Hollywood sells because they agree with it. Few people really believe in cultural relativism so I guess it is not a surprise when people complain that a different culture has different values.

What you're describing is the whore/Madonna dichotomy. Some fans prefer to idolize "pure" girls and put them on a pedestal, some fans want to fantasize about sexy, promiscuous Hollywood vixens. Neither type of depiction cares about the humanity of women as individuals, which is why Hollywood has been getting as much criticism as the idol industry recently. Since women are approximately 50% of the human population, it makes sense that people criticize unrealistic, exploitative portrayals of them no matter what culture is behind those particular portrayals. That doesn't mean there is no room for sexy or innocent portrayals of women in media, but that people criticize those portrayals when they are exploitative and hurt the idol or actress herself.
MoonStar9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:03 am Reply with quote
While it's true many fans seem to feel some kind of misplaced possession of this girl and are calling her private relations "a betrayal", there are also many in and outside her fanbase who are genuinely disgusted by the manager's actions. And frankly, I find that more far more appalling than what some crazed fan says in response to the announcement. This man has ruined not only her career but also her social life indefinitely. She as a public figure will likely be blacklisted from limelight work as the teen pregnancy girl who will damage the business' reputation and will be subjected to harshness both online and IRL for all her family to see. She's already being called a whore and whatnot. Judging by the responses to the announcement on twitter anyway. The poor girl is naive enough to think she won't be replaced during her nine months and whatever maternity leave she'd be granted, and that she'd still sell to the public despite the debacle. And given Japan's harsh social stigma, this is the kind of condition that births suicidal tendencies. The manager is handling the twitter and is apologizing to those who are accusing him of not upholding his position... as well as those calling them whores. Whatever relationship they had is unknown but the girl got the short end of the stick because the manager wasn't professional.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:13 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
The insanity of the fans calling her announcement "a betrayal" is so far beyond acceptable, it makes my head spin. The idol industry fosters this entitlement and expectation of a human being catering to the fantasies of strangers. Just... gross.

Honestly, this is the part that scares me. Granted, it doesn't seem particularly good that she and her manager went and got her pregnant with how young she is (though it's certainly better that he's 4 years older rather than 20 years older), but the fact that the fans consider her actions a betrayal is just plain disturbing. It's her life, and she's free to screw it up. I can't help but be creeped out by fan reactions like this.

But then again, the whole idol industry really makes no sense to me. I can understand guys being interested in attractive celebrities, but the fact that idols seem to be set up precisely to be there for guys to be attracted to them and that that's their main reason for being there as opposed to it just being a side effect of them being popular doing something seems completely off to me. And if the whole point of the girl being there is for guys to be attracted to them and dream about them, then having the girl actually hook up with someone else is a betrayal of sorts, I guess. But if anything, it just shows how messed up the whole idol thing is. Still, if the whole idol thing makes money, presumably, it'll stick around, and I guess that it's just one of those cases that helps show how Japan is most definitely not America (for better or for worse).
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:36 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
the fact that the fans consider her actions a betrayal is just plain disturbing. It's her life, and she's free to screw it up.

That's where you're wrong. She's an idol. There are plenty of other entertainment avenues that she could have chosen if she did not want to adhere to what it means to be an idol. Idols are there to be idolized by wota. As soon as she chose to be an idol then she signed away her "freedom" to screw up her life (and still remain an idol). It's no different from any other job. You have expectations to meet in your job. If you do not meet them then you will be disciplined and eventually let go. You may disagree with what an idol's job specifications are, but it's not like they're hidden away from anyone who wishes to be an idol. The idol industry would fall to pieces as soon as there were people who stopped wanting to sign their social life away to a talent agency. But there are thousands upon thousands who want to do so. So I fail it find it particularly disturbing myself as there is no deception in what is expected of an idol. They could try to be a singer, or an actress, or a model. Or anything that is not an idol. That's their freedom. As an employed person, I can tell you that I have very little freedom when it comes to how I perform my job. That's typically how contractual employment goes.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:57 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Kalessin wrote:
the fact that the fans consider her actions a betrayal is just plain disturbing. It's her life, and she's free to screw it up.

That's where you're wrong. She's an idol. There are plenty of other entertainment avenues that she could have chosen if she did not want to adhere to what it means to be an idol. Idols are there to be idolized by wota. As soon as she chose to be an idol then she signed away her "freedom" to screw up her life (and still remain an idol). It's no different from any other job. You have expectations to meet in your job. If you do not meet them then you will be disciplined and eventually let go. You may disagree with what an idol's job specifications are, but it's not like they're hidden away from anyone who wishes to be an idol. The idol industry would fall to pieces as soon as there were people who stopped wanting to sign their social life away to a talent agency. But there are thousands upon thousands who want to do so. So I fail it find it particularly disturbing myself as there is no deception in what is expected of an idol. They could try to be a singer, or an actress, or a model. Or anything that is not an idol. That's their freedom. As an employed person, I can tell you that I have very little freedom when it comes to how I perform my job. That's typically how contractual employment goes.

Most idols under the age of 18 are signed up by their parents looking for fame even if they end up put their son or daughter through hell or pressured by other means, so no, this is not true in most cases. So, it's not the idol's fault unless they signed up when they were 18 or over. Also, idols should be admired for their talent and not purity. Idols are not a religion.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Idols are not a religion. They're an escapist fantasy. And as soon as the escapist fantasy is crushed then those seeking the escapist fantasy feel betrayed. It should be kept in mind that the only reason these idols have jobs is because of those seeking the escapist fantasy. Again, the ones putting on the facade of playing the surrogate boyfriend/girlfriend know full well what the talent agency expects of them by signing up to be an idol. If they don't want to follow through then they can quit. Nothing is forcing them to keep the charade up other than their own desire to be an idol.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
As an employed person, I can tell you that I have very little freedom when it comes to how I perform my job. That's typically how contractual employment goes.

I'm pretty sure there are laws in place preventing your employer from dictating what you can and can't do out of the job (even if they aren't enforced enough).
And if you're going to claim that an idol is ALWAYS on the job, then I'm pretty sure that there are also laws preventing 24-hour-per-day working times.

The sole concept of your life belonging to someone else because you signed a contract ala Mahoutsukai no Yome is pretty ludicrous. So if a few idols reclaiming their human rights back could make the idol industry collapse, then it cna't collapse soon enough.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
An idol's job is to attract paying customers for their live concerts/CDs/merchandise. If they do anything to hinder that aspect of their job, then it's not particularly hard to see why they would be disciplined and/or let go. As I said, the industry will collapse as soon as everyone starts valuing their personal life over being an idol. I agree, I wish it would collapse as well, if only because I value singers more than idols and there has been a noticeable decline in singers with the rise of idols.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
It's not like idols came out of nowhere anyway. Just a matter of going back to what they were before they became wota-centered.
Granted, we wouldn't see so many legions of idols anymore (maybe?) so there goes all the 48 stuff. But they wouldn't disappear outright.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

I'm pretty sure there are laws in place preventing your employer from dictating what you can and can't do out of the job (even if they aren't enforced enough).
And if you're going to claim that an idol is ALWAYS on the job, then I'm pretty sure that there are also laws preventing 24-hour-per-day working times.

The sole concept of your life belonging to someone else because you signed a contract ala Mahoutsukai no Yome is pretty ludicrous. So if a few idols reclaiming their human rights back could make the idol industry collapse, then it cna't collapse soon enough.

We live in the era of social media, where you can be fired for a post on Twitter.

https://nypost.com/2017/08/29/professor-fired-over-harvey-instant-karma-tweet-for-texas/

If you don't think your employeer controls how you can express yourself publically, you're going to be in for a rude awakening. As long as you work for a company, your actions are reflected by them, and they'll can you if they think you did something that reflects badly on them.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
What you're describing is the whore/Madonna dichotomy. Some fans prefer to idolize "pure" girls and put them on a pedestal, some fans want to fantasize about sexy, promiscuous Hollywood vixens. Neither type of depiction cares about the humanity of women as individuals, which is why Hollywood has been getting as much criticism as the idol industry recently. Since women are approximately 50% of the human population, it makes sense that people criticize unrealistic, exploitative portrayals of them no matter what culture is behind those particular portrayals. That doesn't mean there is no room for sexy or innocent portrayals of women in media, but that people criticize those portrayals when they are exploitative and hurt the idol or actress herself.
The idol industry that markets to adult men is very much based on a fantasy but in general the entertainment industry is in the business of selling fantasies. There are idols that perform at children's shows but it doesn't pay that much while the adult male fans spend a tremendous amount of money on their hobby. I can see why some people call it exploitation but from what I see that goes both ways.

Hoppy800 wrote:
Most idols under the age of 18 are signed up by their parents looking for fame even if they end up put their son or daughter through hell or pressured by other means, so no, this is not true in most cases. So, it's not the idol's fault unless they signed up when they were 18 or over. Also, idols should be admired for their talent and not purity. Idols are not a religion.
The morality of idols under the age of 18 is questionable though I think the same is often true for parents who push their kids into the Hollywood industry considering some of the stories I have read.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7