• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:17 pm Reply with quote
For a minute there I thought I was watching Evil or Live again.

Not much of a hitman if he hasn't learned to check for a pulse.

That sort of "final exam" trope has never made any sense to me, unless the goal is to train up one single ultimate killer, which it obviously wasn't. That's a lot of wasted time and resources when you kill off half your graduating class.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:48 am Reply with quote
^Well, they didn't really kill off the other half but patched them up and turned them into cyborg killers...at least that seems to be what happened in the case of Lin's partner.

I liked the flashback as an explanation to why Lin is trying so desperately not to trust anybody, but the ending felt a bit like a cheap cop-out. But well, we might still get an interesting new arc out of it...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:51 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I guess you've got a point. Smile

I expect the rest of the arc to be fine, now that they've got the lame setup out of the way. They've already shown they're not too worried about the believability of their premises - what counts is how they play on the field they've chalked off.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:42 am Reply with quote
I've been following this show and feel like episode 9 is my favorite so far from this anime.

It really gave an insight on how assassins are made with the realistic style of the training. Mao and Fei has a relationship that I find likeable as the two became close yet it was a facade in the end. A tough life like this is really something to realize for assassins.

Also served as a buildup episode too for the final few episodes.

Lesson to learn: Always trust in yourself!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I still can't shake the feeling that Lin-Lin's sister ain't really dead.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:20 pm Reply with quote
They can bait and switch her death too, as long as they don't do a mass resurrection. Smile

So Sayuri is his ex...gf? wife? I liked that Lin was more offended that she'd think he might be Banba's bf than a gay bf. Smile Of course we don't even know if he's gay or straight or what, do we?

I also got a kick out of Enokida's teasing Lin about running away from home. Nice cliffhanger too, with the submariner ninja facing off with Fei-Lan.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:56 am Reply with quote
Don't kill the dorky ninja, i've grown quite fond of him! Smile Also, what does Fei-Lan actually want from Lin? He hasn't outright said that he wants to kill him as far as i can remember and frankly, Lin has more reason for wanting revenge than he has. On the other hand, Fei-Lang doesn't seem to be the type who'd search obsessively for someone just to apologize...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:45 am Reply with quote
Lin-lin and Banba get my vote for Couple of the Year. Their interaction is consistently hilarious. I still chuckle when I think of Lin's line from several eppies back when he told Banba he looked like a male host who wasn't popular with the ladies.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Also, what does Fei-Lan actually want from Lin?

Fashion tips? Forming their own assassin business?

No, what he really wants is a team to belong to. A baseball team. You know he's going to end up there... Very Happy
lebrel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Ep 10:

So Lin is confirmed living in Banba's apartment, and having the place renovated no less. But he's still sleeping on the couch... (Bad Banba, who makes hot crossdressers sleep on the couch? I'm sure there's enough room in the bed for two. Very Happy )

Lin trying to pass is so cute. <3

I was wrong, hot chick is indeed Banba's ex-girlfriend. So he's hooked up with people hired to kill him twice now.... I liked that she was completely cool with Lin and Banba being a thing. (Even though this is firmly BL-Tease Only territory and I don't think the show will ever have them explicitly be a thing. Even though they are clearly a thing.)

Go Go Angsty Shower of Fanservice, yeah!

And judging from the preview, Fei wants Lin back. Hitman love triangle! Also looks like we're headed into a three-way (four-way?) hitman vs hitman showdown for the finale.

I hope this does well enough for a second season. I'd love to see the novels/manga too.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know what its reception has been like on other sites (the earliest comments I saw on CR despised it)? ANN has certainly given it the cold shoulder. I'd be on board for another season myself. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:31 pm Reply with quote

Man, Submariner Ninja sure is forgiving, despite how he wants to kill everyone around him all the time. I was pretty sure they wouldn't kill him, but after the first arc I wasn't 100%, so that still managed to be tense.

Anyone wanna bet that the virus is another bluff, like the ring? They knew his tactics, you'd think they would've at least called him on it, even if they couldn't risk assuming he was bluffing.

I can't explain how delighted I was about Lin's reason for refusing to team up with Fei. Most series like this would've gone with "I can't trust you," or "I just want to make sure you're dead this time," or even have him wax poetic about the power of friendship (after that hilarious sequence of people showering him with gifts), but there was something so basic and down-to-earth about him just bluntly saying, "I don't want to travel the world with you because I like it here," that it was immensely satisfying. And Yuuki Kaji's perfect, sincere-without-being-melodramatic delivery really sold it.

Actually, it's Lin's genuine sincerity about everything (not to be confused with honesty, to self or others) that I find so appealing about him, not least because that's an unheard of trait to find in a tsundere. And his tsun attributes make him all the more fun when something does amuse him (like his eagerness to dish on Banba with his ex).

Can you tell I love this series? Wink
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:05 am Reply with quote
So if Fei can't have Lin back, he's gonna destroy the entire world (or Hakata at the very least)? That's what they call "true love!, i suppose... Laughing

I liked how everyone brought little gifts for runaway Lin.
lebrel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:43 pm Reply with quote
The "let's all find Lin and remind him he has friends" sequence was hilarious. And the next episode preview was epic.

See, we *knew* Fei just wanted Lin back! Although the episode as a whole was a bit anticlimactic; I was expecting more of Fei vs Submarine and maybe Banba, not to mention Fei vs Lin. I'm not sure how much mileage the series will be able to get out of the "I will kill all your friends" plot line, considering there's only one episode left and we have to make room for Lin and Banba patching things up.

Also, randomly killing off people who have Lin's name seems like a pretty inefficient way of finding him, considering that Fei already got a dossier on him as payment for a previous job...

And so our remaining question for the last episode to reveal: will Fei get killed off, driven away, or befriended and talked into joining the baseball team? Or maybe he will stick around and form another rival team! Laughing

(I had no doubt that Hitman Consultant was bluffing about betraying Submariner. They have too much of a rapport going on, if you know what I mean.)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I scrolled up to refresh myself on what I'd written about him joining the baseball team, only to realize that my facetious answer to Merida turned out to be right! He did want to start their own business! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4