• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Place Further Than the Universe (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:11 am Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Joshua Zarate wrote:
That ending scene with Shirase holding flowers as she overlooked Antarctica was a very nice touch and a solid way to end this week’s episode.
I assumed that that was meant to be Todo. I wouldn't expect Shirase to acknowledge the fact that her mother is dead so clearly at this stage.

After Episode 9 came out, it appears that you were right and I was wrong. Sorry about that.

Speaking of Episode 9, it was another solid one and I agree that the “In Your Face” moment was quite fun to see and it put a big smile on my face. Funny how the episode title sort of hinted at a big romance sub-plot, but nope. The dude ultimately got unlucky. Now that the girls are in Antarctica, it’ll be a treat to see if they end up doing the things they did in the show’s opening for next week.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

A good thing the drama was not as bad as I was fearing. It was largely Yuzuki being self conscious that they were not really be able to stay friends, since she got a message about work once she gets back. Mari wanted none of that in saying how Yuzuki is already a best friend. It was cute. Not to mention the penguin showing up, and trying to stop Shirase from both getting in the camera of it, and running off out of safety. And the bit with the chicken, that outside would be unsafe.

Took me a bit to figure out where the drama is hiding in the bit at the end of the episode, and I am guessing it is HInata getting a message from her old track team, something we got hints earlier, and is a part of why she did not continue with school.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Man, it was such an awesome moment seeing Shirase stick up for Hinata in front of her former classmates. It was another moment of the series that I resonated with quite strongly and the voice acting on display with those scenes in particular are very splendid. Only two episodes remain of this series and while I’ll be sad to see it eventually go, I won’t ever forget these lovable goofy girls and the times they shared onscreen.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I have to confess I was a bit confused by the Hinata/ex-friends storyline. Perhaps something was lost in translation, but I got the impression that the friends were genuinely remorseful and were trying to make amends. Perhaps the idea was supposed to be that they were only doing this because of the public nature of the video link and therefore were doing something "bad"? I dunno. But it left me with kind of an unsettled feeling like maybe I was missing out on something.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I think you got it. I think the main issue is that when you hurt someone, you don't get to force them to accept an apology or make amends, and if they want to move on without you in their life, dealing with your guilt is your problem, not that of the person you hurt. The fact that the show never bothered to reveal how the friends reacted to Shirase's rant was an interesting presentation of the idea that they don't get a say in Hinata's storyline if she doesn't want them to have one.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:08 am Reply with quote
Usually these type of stories would have been about Hinata learning to forgive, but it was not quite so. I think that goes to say that the apology would not make up for what they did, and in spite of that, Hinata made a real effort in how she would move forward in life, that she really does not need to give those girls the platform to just make those girls feel better. And, HInata does not need to be some victim. Shirase's frustration is understandable as they had all been up front with each other, that Hinata hiding it was frustrating.

I think that in addition, some of what HInata said was like was running away from problems, going to some isolated place, while Shirase clearly had been running towards something. And it was the speech of the rest of the girls to Hinata's old club mates, that was kind of saying to her that she is wrong, that she really had been making her own steps, and should be proud.

It was not like the ex-club mates looked comically bitchy or something, nothing really to say they were outright bad. But were clearly weak in a time that Hinata could have used the help, and that apology should not come now, right when Hinata is on national television.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

It would seem Shirase finally got am answer she could accept. She somewhat held out hope that her mother could have made it, but retrieving her mother's laptop, and loading the email counting up the "new" unread emails that Shirase had sent her mother. It was painful to her, something hard, but I think it is the sort of thing to get out of the limbo she was kind of talking about in the episode, that she had felt like she was not getting as moved as she thought that she might, and worried she would feel like that for the rest of her life. 1101 unread messages, a message a day for just over 3 years, and I think I goes to say how much it for Shirase, that mostly had subtle hints that we occasionally saw her setting up an email message.

Also, the attempts in the episode to try and use a banana as a hammer.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

It ended. It is sad to see a good thing end, but could the series be any better at showing the theme that good experiences can end, but you still have to move forward. And, who knows, maybe a similar experience could be up in the future to look forward to.

It is maybe a little early for something I want to talk about so much, to get right into how I would rate it, but I have funny thoughts on that. There is not like there is some bang of an aspect of this show that I might say it should get it, but another aspect tells me that I should give this a full score, a 10/10, and after pondering I think that I can possibly explain it. This is how anime should be, this is the potential of a well crafted member of this medium can gain. This is exactly the sort of thing I want to point at anime, and say why I watch it. It has nothing actually to do with some big fantasy, or crazy supernatural or sci-fi aspect, but an understanding of what the medium can bring from an understanding of character, and motivation. I give a rating of Masterpiece (10/10), most certainly earns a place as anime of the season, and set up a tough measure for the rest of the year.

Breaking up points individually. A Place Further Than the Universe had an uncanny ability of being funny in a way that feels real, and never taking away from the dramatic aspects. Sure the main characters could fit into tropes, but they really felt like their own, with chemistry that, dare I say it, felt genuine. It never felt like it tried to use animation as a distraction, but a clear understanding of how it can add, as well as what the necessary parts were that I don't think there was any complaint about lack of anything. It never tried to use low brow aspects like force moe or something else unnecessary for it.

And in general, it was brave. That might be silly to say about this, but I can imagine that by the concept alone it would have been really hard to get some people to put forward the investment that had little insurance that it could tap into one of the niche otaku stuff. From what I can see this probably can be attributed to the Director and the Writer, the Director, Atsuko Ishizuka, is especially who I have heard things about. Work with No Game, No Life is especially a series I have heard brought up, something that the both of them worked on in these roles, and honestly I think is a pretty great show where it elevated itself above just being an otaku focused show it would otherwise be an easy sell, and I can see this series as being what they could do with more freedom to do what they want, showing that the other things were not needed. It is a really well made, and an "in your face" to some lack of confidence.

Farewell this, and may another good journey start some time too.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:29 am Reply with quote
I rated this Excellent. Wow, what a winter it's been for anime and this title was a big part of that feeling for me. I hate to say goodbye to the girls, but I do feel that a full and wonderful story has been told so as much as I'd love to see more of them, I leave the series feeling satisfied.

As DP pointed out, this show makes me look forward to whatever Director Atsuko Ishizuka does next because she did a helluva job. Mad props to Jukki Hanada who did script and series composition. I hope these two team up again.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
DP already mentioned why he liked this show and I echo his review. Loved the characters and the comedy. The penultimate episode got me crying like a baby.
So. A Masterpiece rating from me too.
gdpetti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Of the ones I watched/watching from last season... this one is second only to Violet Evergarden which ends in another ep and later OVA (july 4th?)... though this one doesn't have that fantasy setup Violet has... this one is realistic SoL... nice bits of comedy and drama... good writing shows when ALL the characters are filled out, and seem real... even the background comic relief characters seem real.. in that way. Wink

I liked the ending... her on the bed like each ep's OP and I think the first ep, started.. bookending the storyline.. they are back... nice series.... the dramatic setup gives them depth... and it was done rather well... after the initial setup, which seemed more comical for each character introduced... only later was each character given their moment of truth... so by the end, all the main characters were given a background and sense of self.... not many stories do that... but the 'good' ones seem to by default... if the writer can do it with one character, they are likely to do it with all of them.. even the bit parts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3