• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2018 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyntre_rose

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:44 pm Reply with quote
As someone who also wants to one day go to Antarctica, A Place Further Than the Universe is right up my alley. Never thought I'd see an anime about people that want to travel to the South Pole, but I'm so excited that it exists!!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:59 pm Reply with quote
A Place Further Than the Universe already has a place in my heart before it barely showed any penguins. I dislike "cute girls doing cute things" anime, but I'm making an exception. I already got a little misty-eyed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much feel the same way as everyone else before me about A Place Further Than The Universe. Great first episode and props to the staff at Madhouse for very solid execution of pretty much everything. Looks to be an enjoyable one to follow for this season and a solid start to the year.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I didn't have any expectations for A Place Further Than the Universe, but I'm still surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Definitely following this one!
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:38 pm Reply with quote
How long would 1M yen (slightly less than 10k USD) last for a trip in Antarctica?
+ 光

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:46 pm Reply with quote
A Place Further Than the Universe: An excellent premiere for a Atsuko Ishizuka show that I couldn't be happier with. The opening immediately sells the show as a fun adventure story with good character drama. And the storyboarding is excellent. As Nick has already pointed out, I love the way Mari's change can be seen in her room: when she is still indecisive, her room is a mess. Then when she makes up her mind, her room is cleaned up. That may seem simple, but it is a really effective way of *showing* and not overtly telling. I love the music pieces that play during the climax and which continues to the end. Mari and Shirase's dynamic is convincing, and I'm sure they'll be fun to follow.

Shirase's 'going to a far off place in search of her mother who was an explorer' rings some Made in Abyss bells, since Riko also went in search of her mother who was an explorer - and for the normal person Antartica is about as foreign as the Abyss. But unlike the Abyss where it's dangerous and just trying to return will probably kill you, A Place Further than the Universe doesn't seem to have those stakes. So, like Girl's Last Tour, it may give yet another different insight into the experience of adventure into the unknown. And I really dig this trend in anime lately. The time is ripe for it.

Idolish7: I've "read" further into the in-game story, and it really does pick up with some interesting twists and deep emotional hits. It's not going to be all sunshine and rainbows for these boys. So all the reviewers who picked up on the narrative's strengths are definitely on to something.

Yes, the character acting could be better, and it's unfortunate about Arina's designs (which are really pretty). The director was quite proud of the way they incorporated 2D and 3D in the dance sequences, so I don't want to fault that too much. I personally don't like the 3D wide shots, but when the dancing gets good in the more 2D shots, it gets good. Although the songs (each person's music taste aside) have not yet been shown in spades, they do play important parts in the show.

I do not know how the adaption will fare from here on out, but I do have hopes for it, and will be following it and A Place Further than the Universe.

Lynzee Loveridge wrote:
Production companies have pushed out loads of variations, but I thought last season's DYNAMIC CHORD and its extremely poor reception was going to put a stake through the trend. IDOLiSH7 is giving it another go though, and at least it has the pedigree to turn the sinking boy idol genre around.

Perhaps this is just worded badly, or I'm misunderstanding, but you and I both know, and I know that you (researcher of lists) know, that that's not how animation production works. You wouldn't say 'Ancient Magus Bride aired because Made in Abyss was a success', so you wouldn't say 'I7 and idol shows are cancelled because of DYNAMIC CHORD'. I don't know how long DYNAMIC CHORD was in production for, but I'm sure it and I7 must have been in production at the same time. I'm not sure how the audience of DC's visual novel differs from I7's mobile phone game, but I'd be careful in making sweeping statements.

Also, as for the genre's future, current projects that have been greenlit: Tokimeki restaurant movie, B-project season 2, TsukiPro season 2, and Ensemble Stars. So the Armageddon of the singing boys has yet to come.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:49 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
How long would 1M yen (slightly less than 10k USD) last for a trip in Antarctica?

For as long as the writers require.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

Hey, I could be wrong! In fact I hope I am - I'd love for her to have just been hanging out with the penguins for all this time.

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Very Happy That would be funny if that turn out to be the ending. But yeah I was thinking the same thing to be honest. That there is a possibility we might get a good ending. We would just have to wait and see. In the meantime I am just going go a long for the ride keeping myself open for a possible a happy or sad ending. But first I need to decide whether I should pay premium just to watch the show the moment it becomes available on Crunchroll, or wait a week to seen an episode. It's going to depend if I can handle paying premium along with Netflix.

Princess_Irene wrote:
On a different note, I was also surprised that Arina Tanemura was the character designer for IDOLiSH - but I've never been happy with how her art translates into anime.

I have yet see any of the anime adaptations of her manga, but at least in those shows the character designs looked likes hers. This one it doesn't.

wyntre_rose wrote:
As someone who also wants to one day go to Antarctica, A Place Further Than the Universe is right up my alley. Never thought I'd see an anime about people that want to travel to the South Pole, but I'm so excited that it exists!!

Curious, why do you want to visit Antarctica?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:12 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:

That's actually about the general ballpark for a commercial Antarctic cruise ticket, but thats just to the peninsula and McMurdo Station. These girls seems to want to go someplace more substantial than that. Still, Shirase probably has enough money right now to book passage somewhere there.

I once looked into traveling to Antarctica, and discovered its actually not that hard to arrange. There are regular supply ships and flights, and provided you're not too picky about your transit accommodations, you can get there quite reasonably and even book basic accommodations (think college-dorm style rather than hotel room) at several locations on the continent. The key, of course, is having the money to pay for it all.

Which reminds me... why was Shirase walking around with her money rather than putting it into a bank... or just hiding it in her room at home? They part kind of bugged me and wasn't entirely explained.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:22 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:

Probably enough to take a boat to one of the research station and stay there for a bit, but not enough to have 4 take a long trip there, definitely not enough to go anywhere beyond the research station (you need specialized equipment, not too mention training).

My step mom did something somewhat similar to this, she went on an icebreaker around part of the north pole. She's a journalist so she went there to write article about the scientific expedition, but she couldn't have afforded the trip herself (was multiple week). Most people were scientist and they went there trough academia. Running icebreaker is actually crazy expensive, you need highly specialized crew and equipment, they eat up tons of fuel (turned out pushing trough ice is pretty energy intensive) and it's dangerous to boot, so you need good insurance, I think it was something like multiple thousands per day to keep the ship running.

Maybe they'll make some sort of kickstarter trough social media or something like that to get the fund.
wyntre_rose

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:11 am Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
Curious, why do you want to visit Antarctica?

I can't completely explain it myself, honestly. In part, because one day I realized that I'd been to more than half the world's continents, and it would be fun to hit the rest, if for no reason other than to say I'd done it...but then I realized that of the three I had yet to set foot on, Antarctica intrigued me the most. Also, I've always liked colder climates. Most of my other bucket list places are nordic. *shrug* I'm not saying I would turn my nose up at a free trip to Hawaii, but if you gave me the choice between that and a free trip to Iceland, I'd choose Iceland every time.

You CAN take a cruise to Antarctica, but it costs around $5000 at a minimum for a 7 day trip for one person. (Airfare to the ship not included, of course.) At least, of the cruises I've found. So, possible, yes. Cheap? Hells no.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:24 am Reply with quote
Honestly I was quite hooked by the first ep of A Place, yet I want to keep my expectation low since it's still just the first eps and all.
Anyway, it won me to cheer on them, please make those girls get to Antartica, somewhat realistically. As it's been brought on the first eps, they seem to show how it's such an unrealistic dream that most people would normally doubt. It could be really inspiring (and not only entertaining) if they got there with enough of realistic depiction. I hope they really serious in tackling those who doubt, as they seemed to seriously want to by the way it's addressed in this first eps.
NinjAngel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:38 am Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:

Princess_Irene wrote:
On a different note, I was also surprised that Arina Tanemura was the character designer for IDOLiSH - but I've never been happy with how her art translates into anime.

I have yet see any of the anime adaptations of her manga, but at least in those shows the character designs looked likes hers. This one it doesn't.

I mentioned it in a previous post in the thread, but I gotta say it again: Tanemura conceptualized and drafted the designs, but then they went through another artist entirely for the design stage before even being adapted for the game, let alone the anime. Kasumi Fukagawa, an animator, is the character designer, and she's working on the anime as well.

I'm sure Tanemura herself will draw in a lot of people, and she does handle a number of manga adaptations for the i7 novels, but she's really only half the character designer.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:52 am Reply with quote
Man, I really loved the first eppie of A Place etc etc. Fantastic way to start off the season. I like how they are moving things along. During the bathroom scene, I thought, "yeah, the MC will be too flustered to mention the money and we'll have to wait until later on when she finally gathers up her nerve." But nope. It's nice to see that SOL doesn't have to mean "slow as molasses."
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 am Reply with quote
wyntre_rose wrote:
In part, because one day I realized that I'd been to more than half the world's continents, and it would be fun to hit the rest, if for no reason other than to say I'd done it.

That's why my grandmother went - it was the last place she hadn't been and at 94 she decided she ought to do it. She loved it - she said it was one of the most fascinating places she'd ever been.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 42