• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2018 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thennarynak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote
As an Idolish7 fan I would have loved to see the score higher for some of the reviews. Yet I can see if you are not familiar with the series and are looking at it as just another boy idol series how it got the scores it did. And the fact that it still is seen as being one of the better series in the genre makes me happy.

I just hope people give it a try. It does take its time building up, like with this first episode, but that is what makes the more dramatic turns and surprise reveals work as well as they do. I7 is a great series for those who want a more plot driven idol series without harem hijinks.
wyntre_rose

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
That's why my grandmother went - it was the last place she hadn't been and at 94 she decided she ought to do it. She loved it - she said it was one of the most fascinating places she'd ever been.

That's so cool! I hope I have as much spunk when I'm 94. She sounds like an incredible person.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:35 pm Reply with quote
wyntre_rose wrote:

I can't completely explain it myself, honestly. In part, because one day I realized that I'd been to more than half the world's continents, and it would be fun to hit the rest, if for no reason other than to say I'd done it...but then I realized that of the three I had yet to set foot on, Antarctica intrigued me the most. Also, I've always liked colder climates. Most of my other bucket list places are nordic. *shrug* I'm not saying I would turn my nose up at a free trip to Hawaii, but if you gave me the choice between that and a free trip to Iceland, I'd choose Iceland every time.

Wow, so you travel. I thought about traveling myself ever since I became more aware of anime. I don't have a high tolerance for cold weather, but I have heard of people who do, so good for you.

NinjAngel wrote:

I mentioned it in a previous post in the thread, but I gotta say it again: Tanemura conceptualized and drafted the designs, but then they went through another artist entirely for the design stage before even being adapted for the game, let alone the anime. Kasumi Fukagawa, an animator, is the character designer, and she's working on the anime as well.

I'm sure Tanemura herself will draw in a lot of people, and she does handle a number of manga adaptations for the i7 novels, but she's really only half the character designer.

I see. That would explain it.

Princess_Irene wrote:

That's why my grandmother went - it was the last place she hadn't been and at 94 she decided she ought to do it. She loved it - she said it was one of the most fascinating places she'd ever been.

Good for your grandmother, Ms. Silverman. She seems adventurous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:05 am Reply with quote
Madhouse did their research for A Place Further Than the Universe. The icebreaker Shirase is a real ship (AGS-5003), and there is a real Japanese research station on Queen Maud Land named Showa (http://www.nipr.ac.jp/jare/now/).

You can take real tours of Antarctica via a National Geographic expedition -- my uncle did one in 2017 on the National Geographic Explorer and spent about $15,000 USD, so the million yen that Shirase budgeted for the trip in the episode is actually in the ballpark.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:23 am Reply with quote
I don't understand how people like Idolish 7 better than other idol series.

Compared specifically to Pythagoras and TsukiPro, I don't get how you can look at the writing in those two episodes and say that the characters are unique.

Maybe it's just my taste, because to me, all these guys look way too much like sports anime characters. I don't find them attractive at all. The main one has no shirt, and there's still not an ounce of sex appeal in the whole thing. This is the same reason I can't sit through Haikyuu or Kuroko's Basketball. I just... don't like that type. (Also, is it just me, or does the one with the glasses and big chains looks like a creep?)

As for the plotline... besides the fact that the harem setup is a negative for me (and yes, there are idol series without a harem - TsukiPro doesn't have a harem center at all, and the Marginal #4 anime doesn't have the manager) - the fact that she wasn't going to be expected to cut any of them was obvious. As is the Zero thing that one of the reviewers pegged. (If you want really good, deep storytelling with a music show, try StarMyu. I personally really love the characterization in the Marginal #4 anime, but the story is mostly fluff. Magi4's fluff still tells a better story than any of the non-fluff anime I watched in 2017 except for StarMyu, though, so fluff is not a bad thing. If they're going to be generic shonen-formula about making a non-fluff show, I'd rather they stick with a fluff show. Also, episode 5 of F'17's TsukiPro (which can be watched out of context) had some of the best comedy and one of the best songs of any of the shows).

Also, the music is really bland. When Trigger's album got all those sales records, I tried listening to it, and really, they're just a blander version of Lagrange Point or SolidS.

I7 themselves are like... such generic idol music. Yes, you can be a typical, plucky, pure image idol group and have interesting music - Magi4's "Over the Rainbow" comes to mind - it has a really pure, sweet sound, but it's still really dynamic and beautiful. Or anything by TsukiPro's Soara - Anime OP, Album preview - John's compositions are just... amazing. ... the rest of the units from both series definitely have a much sexier image than I7 are going for, so they wouldn't make good comparisons, but these. Even Ensemble Stars has had better music recently (the unit Akatsuki is pretty good from what I've heard). I haven't heard a single good song from the I7 series.

The art is the one thing this series has going for it, though. It looks so polished and shiny... but I feel like if I keep watching it, I'm going to get frustrated. Really, the only reason I see to watch it is that Toshiki Masuda is in it (Iori, also Magi4's Atom and Six Gravity's Koi), but there's TouRabu this season (he plays Kiyomitsu). ....... to be honest, Touken Ranbu is a better idol series than I7. Better songs, better singing, better character designs...
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:02 am Reply with quote
wyntre_rose wrote:

That's so cool! I hope I have as much spunk when I'm 94. She sounds like an incredible person.

aquasakura wrote:
Good for your grandmother, Ms. Silverman. She seems adventurous.

She was amazing. After raising four kids she decided to travel the world, and she did in fact go just about everywhere. I have all of her travel albums, and they're awesome. When she died at 101 she was on every single committee at her assisted living facility and had revitalized and was running their library.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:47 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

She was amazing. After raising four kids she decided to travel the world, and she did in fact go just about everywhere. I have all of her travel albums, and they're awesome. When she died at 101 she was on every single committee at her assisted living facility and had revitalized and was running their library.

Wow! Your grandma was amazing. She really lived her life to the fullest, as well as an overal busy one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:22 am Reply with quote
Maybe a suggestion for the feedback section, but I think it could maybe fit in the preview guide.

I'm just thinking it'd be nice if someone could create a quasi "TV Guide" or schedule for seasonal streaming services.

The general idea seems simple. A one-stop guide to show when and where a season's shows are streaming. Or in the the case of Netflix licenses, not streaming (for weeks or months).

Streaming services on top, Shows on side, expected streaming time at junction, maybe with a link to a show's page. Or some variation of that.

In some ways keeping track of streaming sources has gotten a little easier since Funimation sent all the subs to Chrunchyroll and Hulu stopped simulcasting but we've also added Anime Strike and now HDive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:23 am Reply with quote
All I can think while watching Koizumi-san is, "The way that girl gobbles down her food is not good for digestion. She must smell like meaty garlic farts all the time. I'd hate to sit behind her in class."
carefreejules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:43 am Reply with quote
As a fan of IDOLiSH7 from when it started off as just a rhythm mobile game, it does disappoint me a little to see people judging the show as either a copy of Utapri, or just barely critiquing it from only the first two episodes. The first two episodes of any show, in my opinion, are not the greatest indicators of whether a show is going to be good enough. Yes, it does have to have that hook so you want to keep watching, but by being so harsh from the start based on your own biases and expectations of what you've seen in other idol shows - you're not really giving the series a chance to fully get to where it is that makes it so loved. Because at the end of the day, all of these different series and franchises aim to do something different in the genre.

With that being said, it's OK to have preferences based on your current experience and exposure of other idol shows that you prefer. But having that mind set from the get go and clinging on to those preferences is going to skew your perception of this show because you constantly have these other idol shows at the back of your mind. Sometimes if you want to objectively see why something is so loved, you need to take a step back from what you've already seen and loved.

I personally went into IDOLiSH7 with having a pretty good knowledge of fictional idol groups like Love Live, Utapri, Marginal #4, Tsukipro, etc. but I've mostly been appealed to them from their music. I have watched all of these shows too and from my point of view, none of them really captures anything like what IDOLiSH7 has, but this is coming from someone who has played the game, read through the in-game story, read the manga, etc but I've been more inclined to read more about IDOLiSH7 simply because I personally find it a lot more interesting.

I've watched all seasons of Love Live and I find the series OK but also a series that I feel like wasn't marketed towards someone like me. But the series has some pretty good music that I still listen to. I've watched the first two seasons of Utapri and I mainly wanted to give it a try because I genuinely liked their music, but I wasn't appealed by the characters or story because of its otome and reverse-harem roots. Tsukipro was more of a series that I kind of got into on a whim like I watched some of their music videos and I enjoyed them and were impressed by how good the CG looked so I wanted to give the show a try. I liked the fact that each character kind of had their own episode so you got to see the character's back stories and personalities individually, but it didn't grab me as much mainly because it felt a little too...separated if that makes sense? As for Marginal #4, again, I've only watched the anime because I liked their songs (even if the kissing sfx makes me pretty uncomfortable), and I did find the show interesting at some parts but I didn't really take anything away from watching it.

The number one thing that tied all of these idol series together that made me want to watch them, was their music. Usually with anything I get into, I always keep my expectations low so if I don't end up enjoying it, oh well. Having those expectations for all these different idol series, I end up liking IDOLiSH7 a lot more but I still think the other idol series are great in their own ways even if I didn't personally get captivated by them as much as IDOLiSH7 has for me.

IDOLiSH7 does a lot of things that, I feel, many idol series haven't really dabbled into before, which is why I highly recommend anyone to give it a shot if you want to find out for yourself.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused. Why would they translate the word "Ramen"? EVERYONE on Earth knows what "Ramen" is. If anything, calling it "Rice noodles" probably causes more confusion.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:11 pm Reply with quote
HuuskerDu wrote:
and spent about $15,000 USD, so the million yen that Shirase budgeted for the trip in the episode is actually in the ballpark.

I disagree that that's "in the ballpark". 1 million yen is only $8870. That's only a little bit more than half way there
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
Compared specifically to Pythagoras and TsukiPro, I don't get how you can look at the writing in those two episodes and say that the characters are unique.

Were any of us - even those that rated it positively - saying that the characters were "unique?" I, at least, was merely saying that they're a little more effective than normal.

carefreejules wrote:
As a fan of IDOLiSH7 from when it started off as just a rhythm mobile game, it does disappoint me a little to see people judging the show as either a copy of Utapri, or just barely critiquing it from only the first two episodes. The first two episodes of any show, in my opinion, are not the greatest indicators of whether a show is going to be good enough. Yes, it does have to have that hook so you want to keep watching, but by being so harsh from the start based on your own biases and expectations of what you've seen in other idol shows - you're not really giving the series a chance to fully get to where it is that makes it so loved.

While you have some good points on this, you also have to remember that - like it or not - series are going to be judged on their first couple of episodes, so it's the responsibility of the animators to make those episodes at least inviting enough to pull the audience in until it hits its stride.

Besides, shows which start out awful but wind up being good are actually pretty rare in my experience. Ones that get dramatically better as they progress usually start out as no worse than mediocre but offer up at least some hints of greater potential from the start. (Toradora! is one that I would point to as a good example of the latter, while Divergence Eve is a good example of the former.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh, i am a day late. The schedule: https://myanimelist.net/anime/season
Madhouse (again) decided to make a 2 cour Clamp adaptation that had like 2 published volumes by the time production would have needed to be locked in with Cardcaptor Sakura - Clear Card-hen. Meaning that both Madhouse and Clamp again continue to show that their best days are long gone. Gakuen Babysitters and Hakumei to Mikochi are going to be almost wroth watching, almost. Basilisk Ouka Ninpouchou lastly won´t work if the novel´s manga adaptation is an indication due to it being a mess of gore + boobs and nothing else. On to the promising shows:

B: The Beginning has nothing strong going for or against it at first. Neither IG nor the Netflix anime brand are sure signs of quality but this may be the first anime series to release simultaneously, so that´s something. I´ll check out the pilot in march and the future of anime distribution may look like this.

DARLING in the FRANKXX I am tired of waiting for Trigger to make a show that´s quality from start to finish. The director (he is primarily a character designer) and especially the writer don´t have me wowed either but i will keep an open mind.

DEVILMAN crybaby I can´t stand Go Nagai to put it mildly and the Devilman franchise peaked with the solid if unfinished 80s OVA. The director Masaaki Yuasa is also loosing his tough, as i found his latest movie infuriating but there is no reason why this has to suck. We need more hard-R apocalypse/horror anime and i for one hope that this mad mix can succeed just to get more such endeavors. Like Castlevania by Netflix.

Itou Junji: Collection I find the titular horror mangaka to be overrated but he knows atmosphere and a few interesting shorts may come from this. Studio DEEN isn´t the best company for the job though.

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san is a curios case. It started strong but the episodic will they or won´t they tales became repetitive. The author´s decision to also make a spin-off and an inferior ongoing sequel at the same time further burned me out for good. A 1 cour and done adaptation will thus work and anything else won´t. Still, throwing in the vapid spin-off Ashita wa Doyoubi into the show is already a mistake.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni is likely the show of the season and the manga never dipped in quality, unlike many first promising romance/slice of life tales. So i hope that the adaptation stays faithful and get´s to adapt the still ongoing manga to completion one day.

Attack on Titan is getting a 3rd compilation movie and Code Geass is continuing it´s feature length summary series. Who asked for a 2nd one of these though?

This is a somewhat interesting season so far and the highlight show will likely enter my top 5 shows of the years. That alone is enough for me but the movie/OVA side is more than barren.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shadowypoet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Why not just stick with "Ramen" instead of mistranslating it as "rice noodles"? Ramen noodles are made from wheat, not rice. If they felt required to translate it, they should have gone with "wheat noodles" at least, unless the main character prefers rice noodles in the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 42