• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2018 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StarFan13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
StarFan13 wrote:

what did you mean Unquestionably a keeper on Clear Card

I just meant that I have no doubt that I'll keep watching it

Clear Card is a keeper to me for this season
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Cool to see the latest simuldub update to the preview guide. I too loved the dub premiere of DARLING in the FRANXX.
melmouth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm putting both this manga and the anime aside for the reason OPPOSITE to the reason that the first reviewer above loves it: There's clearly no chance of this romance coming to fruition.

Something I read long ago made me understand why manga and (to a lesser degree, anime) often flirt with transgressive elements: Japan is a very moral and orderly land, with many social pressures available to insure correct behavior. So the young folks like to flirt with transgression in their stories.

The USA, by contrast, is a place where every moral rule is in question (by some group or another), due to the Great American Culture War. Therefore the young folks are forever crusading to keep real transgression out of our fun stuff---lest if OFFEND some group or another. Anyone who reads this site will notice how relentlessly it beats the drum of the New Puritanism.

So ANN reviewers are sure to jump on and rend any manga or anime story that verges on full transgression, which means this one won't, which takes all of the suspense out of the story.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
^^
And which title are you talking about?

Actually, it probably doesn't matter. In my experience comments like New Puritanism are typically made to justify interest in things that the overwhelming majority of American society would find - and always has found - unacceptable. I also find it sad that this kind of term gets tossed around without a full understanding of what Puritanism actually meant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^^
And which title are you talking about?

Actually, it probably doesn't matter. In my experience comments like New Puritanism are typically made to justify interest in things that the overwhelming majority of American society would find - and always has found - unacceptable. I also find it sad that this kind of term gets tossed around without a full understanding of what Puritanism actually meant.

You are probably right about what Puritanism actually is, but it is being used as the closest analogue to describe the seemingly moral imperative drumbeat against anime. I have been watching anime for decades now, and it is only in these latter years that we have all these negative moral adjectives to describe how evil anime is. It is not enough to simply critique anime for a review, but now it has to be described how it doesn't reflect western moral values.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:30 pm Reply with quote
^I don't want to put words in the mouth of the poster but I think I can piece together which title they are referring to given a) its based on a manga b) it's a romance that doesn't seem likely to come to fruition because it could be transgressive and c) the first reviewer on the top loved it. While I can't totally write off Citrus, I think the most likely candidate is After the Rain. If that's the case, the transgression is a teenager potentially being in a relationship with their much older supervisor, and I think that fits into what Key was talking about. Criticism of Ryuo would fit into that as well. These lines of criticism of shows isn't about saying anime, either generally or specifically, is evil, but that that reviewer finds the material uncomfortable and does not want to watch the show as a result, and not only do I think that is a fair criticism, I don't see how a reviewer could really avoid doing so if they feel that way or how it would be reasonable to expect them to do otherwise. Not to say that reviewers avoid be uncomfortable altogether, as if it is tastefully presented such material can be critically acclaimed, like After the Rain or even Made in Abyss.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:08 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
You are probably right about what Puritanism actually is, but it is being used as the closest analogue to describe the seemingly moral imperative drumbeat against anime. I have been watching anime for decades now, and it is only in these latter years that we have all these negative moral adjectives to describe how evil anime is. It is not enough to simply critique anime for a review, but now it has to be described how it doesn't reflect western moral values.

Oh, there has always been accusations of anime being evil for as long as it's been popular. If it isn't the your-mother's-going-to-hate-it approach in the 80's, it's various religious leaders calling Pokémon satanic enough that the Pope had to make an official statement that it wasn't.

It's the general rule for ANYTHING that's ever become popular, really. It happened with comic books, for instance, which lead to the Comics Code Authority. Earlier than that, it happened with novels, in particular The Sorrows of Young Werther (the ultimate angsty teenage story), which drove up suicide rates. Earlier than that, it happened with translations of the Bible into languages other than Latin, because it allowed people other than the clergy and scholars to read it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:43 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Oh, there has always been accusations of anime being evil for as long as it's been popular. If it isn't the your-mother's-going-to-hate-it approach in the 80's, it's various religious leaders calling Pokémon satanic enough that the Pope had to make an official statement that it wasn't.

You are right, that has been around forever, but it is not really what we are talking about. It is the more recent trend, especially amongst anime fans themselves, that anime must be judged against the western moral imperative.

The truth of the matter is that there is something for everyone in today's anime, but yet we still have internecine warfare in the anime fan community over western morality. These should be the golden days for the anime fan community, with what the glut of anime coming out of Japan and with much of it making it to the west, instead we have to deal with the drumbeat about how evil anime is from the community itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 42 of 42