• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games: Persona gets Funky and Shots get Fired

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:28 pm Reply with quote
KefkaesqueXIII wrote:

Except he also pops up throughout P4AU, which is canon.

Messy as it gets at least with Persona 4's part of the story, (also didn't really play 3's part of Ultimax so I didn't know he'd shows up there).

Lord Oink wrote:
Or in the Pokemon Universe, the female trainer is usually the canon one for recent games.

???

Terrible90sDub wrote:

I do wish they'd drop the "everything has to be canon!" aspect of these side games, since a lot of them are sillier anyway, and that would allow them to add in the FeMC from Persona 3 and even characters from the first two Personas.

They could actually add in Persona 1 and 2 characters if they wanted to, they just won't because apparently more people like 3 and 4 more than the first two games. So that's what gets more focus.
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:49 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

They could actually add in Persona 1 and 2 characters if they wanted to, they just won't because apparently more people like 3 and 4 more than the first two games. So that's what gets more focus.

It's true that those are more popular, but for plot reasons, it would be difficult - if not impossible - to have the casts of both Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment if they wanted to keep to canon. Games such as Persona 4 Arena in particular would likely need to use only Eternal Punishment, and then, I'm not sure if they'd want to deal with writing them in since they'd have to age up the characters to fit the timeline in the spinoffs. Though, they could easily add at least one cast from an older game if they make another Persona Q and decide to distort time again.

Spinoffs of other rpgs which have been around awhile (i.e. Final Fantasy Dissidia or a number of mobile games for various series) tend to have characters from all games, even those that are old and/or unpopular, and that sometimes has the effect of making people want to play the games they haven't yet. Maybe we'll get them if they ever release any kind of P1 or P2 remake again and want to promote it...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2