• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
School Babysitters (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:47 am Reply with quote

School Babysitters (TV)

Genres: Slice of Life, Comedy
Themes:

Plot Summary: Ryūichi and Kotarō Kashima are brothers. Ryūichi is in high school and Kotarō is still a toddler. After their parents are killed in a plane crash, the two brothers find themselves living with the chairwoman of the Morinomiya Academy, who herself lost her son and daughter-in-law in the same accident. The chairwoman, however, has one stipulation for the brothers in order to live with her: Ryūichi has to work at the academy's daycare center as a babysitter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:30 am Reply with quote
Get ready to feel all the feels and to lose all your teeth!
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Oh boy, here comes the responsibility. A guy like Ryuuichi taking on a job as a babysitter should be quite an experience.

It didn't take long for him to get right into taking care of Kotarou.
I think for most parts, the first episode did well at establishing the premise, introducing the characters, and crafting the chemistry between the cast. The kids are absolutely adorable so far

I'm curious to see how much they will adapt this. It's a 1 cour show but has a lot of chapters to work with.

Very cute episode!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:16 am Reply with quote
I know that it is cute and all, and I find it as such. But I feel like there are probably laws against the child care in this show. I had heard before about a ratio, and chances are it is not over, but the actual child carer said that the baby is too much to be able to deal with the toddlers. And they pretty much throw some random kid to look after the kids, without really permission from say the parents meeting him. I know suspension of disbelief and all, and was mostly enjoyable with an emotional scene, but I kept thinking about it was kind of irresponsible.

Also, isn't Babysitter's Club a western book series or something?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:14 am Reply with quote
When I was in college, I used to do childcare at a bowling alley for league parents to drop their kids off while they bowled. To this day I can't stand the smell of baby powder. Smile

So by all rights this ought to stir up some PTSD flashbacks for me, but in fact, it charmed the hell out of me. I loved it. I think this is going to be my MMO Junkie, feel-good series this season.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Eh, it's cute.....but that's kind of all it does for me. I'm not gaining that much from it.

DuskyPredator wrote:

Also, isn't Babysitter's Club a western book series or something?

Yeah, it is. xD For young girls. I read them all between the ages of 11 and 13 and then I opened my first manga and that was the end of that. xD
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a huge fan of toddler age kids. This doesn't look like a bad show but it's just not for me.

Hey, Chiibi!

1) Welcome back!

2) Who said you could leave in the first place?

Wink
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:06 pm Reply with quote
1)Hi!

2) Sorry, the holidays are always a busy time for me....on account of I MAKE presents for people. xD

I expect to be a bit more active here now...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Bad news, Chiibi... that awesome personally crafted Christmas present you made for me? IT HASN'T ARRIVED YET!!! Damn that incompetent Post Office...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

The day care worker is terrible at his job, he can't look after them at all. The other older brother hitting his toddler of a brother on the head is not funny, it kind of feels like the rough treatment to him is actually conceivably looks like something that would have him hitting others he thinks are doing wrong, like how he criticised someone for wearing a tiger shirt despite not seeing a real one. They were pretty much already making promises to go to the zoo before they got permission from the kids' parents. That one girl was throwing things at someone who had a baby in his arms?

Am I being nitpicky here, or are a number of characters in this show really at actually dealing with young children, and that does not feel like it gets proper attention?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:38 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The other older brother hitting his toddler of a brother on the head is not funny, it kind of feels like the rough treatment to him is actually conceivably looks like something that would have him hitting others he thinks are doing wrong,

Honestly, Kamitani and Taka have a more believable brotherly relationship than Ryuichi and Koutaro do. Taka can be a little shit so a good bonk on the head is warranted from time to time.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Except he is doing it on a very common basis, and I think we saw that he got it from his mother. I know what brothers are like, I have two younger brothers, one a couple years younger and 11 years younger. But you can't only hit them, claim something that sounds like indifference in what you think of them, and play a real men don't cry thing. Sure I harass my younger brothers a bit, but I am not hitting them on the head, that was when my mother would do the same to ask how I liked it. As far as my own experience of physical punishment it was a quick smack on the bottom or on the wrist, and even those are terrifying.

And I can see that little kids can be shits and not funny when they decide to get physical in hitting guys because that is seen as generally being okay. But really I am not a fan of an idea that it can be just accepted that some young guy can become a punching bag to small children.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:00 am Reply with quote
I don't know if bonking kids on the head is actually a thing in Japan or if it's just a trope in anime, but it happens a lot in the latter. Mouri is always battering Conan, even right in front of the cops! Taka's bonking seems similarly not to be taken seriously.

But yeah, paid-staff guy shouldn't be looking after kids, since he's asleep all the time. I mean, he had kids wandering off on him twice in just this one episode!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:17 am Reply with quote
To be fair the 2nd time was a classic "look away for one second and the kid's gone" scenario that all parents experience many times in their lives.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Okay, this time he gave up trying to force Kirin back inside, instead choosing to read a book to the rest of the children, and with then no supervision she tried to climb a flight of stairs to jump off. His lack of responsibility has become ridiculous.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2