• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Basilisk: The Ouka Ninja Scrolls (TV)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Oh, sorry, was I interrupting you talking to nobody? I didn't mean to be rude.

You were. Apology not accepted.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:16 am Reply with quote
No, he wasnt being rude, you were. This is a public forum and is open to anybody to post about the show in question, which Yttrbio did. Your expectation of "uninterrupted episode comments" in a public forum is absurd. If you want that kind of arrangement, I suggest you restrict your comments to a private journal where you can get all the uninterruptedness you can handle.

I've reported your post. Don't know if anything will be done about it but I know you've been threatened with post moderation before because of your behaviour and it would be great if that much deserved corrective was finally implemented.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Typical over-reaction as always. I didn't expect any posts on this series since I've been able to post for several weeks straight uninterrupted and thread view tally is more or less flat from each post interval. Then the usual Yttrbio post complaining about a show floats in with absolutely nothing encouraging any other discussion other than the negative points raised (watching out of curiosity and specifically focusing on technical shortcomings means there's nothing else to talk about since he's not interested in anything else).

No discussion on storyline, plot direction etc and I have no interest in technical things like use of still shots and the like since I have no eye for those and don't really bother pretending to be an armchair animation director. As already speculated no one on this forum bar myself is watching this series since those interested stopped bothering midway through episodes 3-4. Public forum thread which I'm allowed to monologue through isn't one in practice. Besides, I've pulled it off before on a different series and didn't get complaints then.

Someone on the other hand has been itching to see me off the forum for good for months now. Being able to watch one show knowing that the backseat moderator dropped it ages ago was great news until an equally random post by said person who'd dropped the show in reply to an off-hand remark on the official page's announcements arrives.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Of course, if you were able to perceive some emotion out of these faces, you could have talked about that if you wanted discussion. But you didn't. You instead attributed an absurd point of view to me, when you could have talked about how the animation or visual presentation actually worked for you, another discussion you chose not to have in favor of complaining that I wasn't encouraging discussion. It sounds like you just don't have an interest in the discussion I was encouraging, which is fine, but hardly worth throwing a fit about. I made the post to respond to Blood-, and maybe throw a flag out there that there were still people other than you watching in case anyone who was interested in these topics wanted a discussion, and were only silent because they had concluded that communicating with you is not worth their time.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:07 pm Reply with quote
The back-and-forth started off mild, there's no need to blow this out of proportion. Instead of dragging this small thread off-topic, let's get back to discussing the show instead of complaining about what others post about the show.

Also, while we appreciate long and thoughtful comments, that's not a requirement when posting thoughts on a series, and neither is it a requirement to only write about the positive things one likes, Harleyquin. You've been warned in the past for your attitude and being dismissive. While I don't think what's been said in this thread requires actionable moderation at this point (though the more I review previous history the more I'm considering it), you are on the cusp of it, having been given a final warning a few months ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:19 am Reply with quote
I'm still watching it, mostly out of inertia, because I see no clear goal in this series, just people meandering around and having random ninja battles, trying to pander the nostalgia by bringing up stuff from the original series, and like Yttrbio mentions, the visuals of the series are so uninteresting there is hardly anything to draw the eye. The powers here don't seem as creative and unique as the ones we saw in the original series. I also still don't understand when Oboro and Gennosuke had time to have sex and how is it possible that Oboro was pregnant during the events of the first series.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote

A battle behind the scenes usually involves information, which the Joujin group have an absolute advantage in. Loathe as they are to accept it, Hadaebou's information is critical for the clans to succeed where they failed several years ago. As Gorone rightly pointed out, it's not actually bad for the two clans to let Joujin have his way since the country in chaos actually revives the need for fighters who work from the shadows like the two clans do. Unfortunately for them having the sworn enemy revive their purpose in society is too unpalatable for even Hibiki to stomach.

I assume Joujin picked up all of the knowledge and resources that came with being part of Tenkai's entourage, hence the castle's armaments. He's even kept a small group of outcasts from the Shogun's ninja retinue to use for a surgical strike. Based on the trailer it looks like they've acted against Hibiki and the others. Hachirou may not be able to play his lone hand for much longer if he cannot finish his mission in time.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:24 am Reply with quote
Since it seems they are going with this revival of Nobunaga plot, I guess I'll have to keep watching for academic purposes. I sure wish there was something to latch on to any of the characters, especially the supposed protagonists Hachirou and Hibiki, who have the least amount of screentime-let alone chemistry, for a supposed couple- in the show so far. I find Namenba and the guy in the wheelchair at least remotely more interesting, but that's not much praise given that the bar is so low
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:43 am Reply with quote
so did the conclusion of the siege of Osaka happen before, during or after the events of the first show
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:05 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
so did the conclusion of the siege of Osaka happen before, during or after the events of the first show

慶長15年: Events transpiring in Kouga Ninpouchou =

慶長20年: Siege of Osaka = 1620

寛永 is the current regnal period as of the most recent episode, seventeen to eighteen years after the events in the first show.
Nate148

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:39 pm Reply with quote
was the source for this any good?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Novel released in 2015. No homebrew English translations that I know of. Someone in Japan thought it was worth a go at an animated adaptation, so...
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:41 pm Reply with quote

After Shikibu, it is Shichigen's turn in the spotlight. Despite his formal manner of speech, he is just as qualified as the others in joining the ranks of the Kouga as his bloodline has a few surprises of its own. Also, all of the actors with supernatural techniques have a preferred poem they like to use before activation. This obviously doesn't apply to Shikibu and Hachisu since they're more reliant on their equipment.

The burning insect swarm is an unusual variation, but it certainly did the job for Hachirou to save them all.

It looks like Utsutsu is next, although if her trailer speech is anything to go by it appears her powers really were strictly limited to illusion to begin with until she gained mastery over them.
vincent_vincent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:08 am Reply with quote
You forgot episode 11 buddy.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote

Utsutsu's past sounds typical for what the Iga and Kouga were practising for centuries prior to the Tokugawa rule. Learning the techniques and passing them through the bloodline was everything for the two clans, even up to forcing Hibiki and Hachirou together to ensure their eye techniques survived through the ages. I can only assume the father also mastered the technique, possibly with the same rite of passage he forced on his daughter.

Ending the first half with another encounter between Hibiki, Hachirou and the others with the Joujin Five seems appropriate. Since Hadaebou has warned them about what to expect, they are no longer going in blind like their predecessors did in episodes 2 and 3. It doesn't make the job easier although the trailer images indicate Saizou might be close to figuring out a weakness in the time-reversal technique.

I wonder where Namenba and Gorone are off to. The original plan is no longer viable because of circumstances, but Namenba could have helped the others on the battlefield with Gorone perfectly capable of hiding himself somewhere away from the gaze of the footsoldiers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3