• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Where Have All The Space Operas Gone?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aereus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Obviously we need to cross space opera with isekai to garner interest these days Wink

Konosuba... in... space!
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I think it's a generational thing. space opera genre is been referred by some my younger friends as "Old Man Stuff".

Isn't genre a reflection of what younger generation is in to? We i think will stay some space opera genre related shows, but it will be for older generation. There not many younger ones into it who can make money to fund these shows.

I think that's key thing here. Funding. Animation studios from what i've read here on ANN are in sorry shape. Anime (late night from what i understand) is used advertise manga.

I'd like see something original, it will take more light novels who have talented writers to come up with something good, anime funding that kick thing out door with some quality despite it being stuck at 12 episodes or less.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:43 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Just think, in 10 years, we'll be able to do this again, but with "Where have all the isekai gone?"

That's what it boils down to. Trends change. The downward trend of space anime also no doubt is a side result of mecha anime going out of style. The primary audience for mecha anime (young boys) moved on to other newer genres, like monster battling and card collecting. It's worth noting you see some entries trying to blend the two, like Gundam Build Fighters and Battle Spirits Saikyou Ginga Ultimate Zero.

-Stuart Smith
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't really know what space operas are but if they are like Aldnoah.Zero and ēlDLIVE then they can stay in the 80's.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
Isn't genre a reflection of what younger generation is in to? We i think will stay some space opera genre related shows, but it will be for older generation. There not many younger ones into it who can make money to fund these shows.

Genres are not, but trends are. The only things a genre truly indicates is that some theme had at least one exemplary example for many other people to give their own take on it and that this theme has enough potential to continue running for some time.

In every medium, some genres become more popular than others over time, but genres return all the time, whether in the same form it had in the past (like horror films) or a new form updated for then-current tastes (like romance novels). Then you have genres like comedy television and country music that have never gone away or even become niche and won't be going away for the foreseeable future: For these, for everyone who leaves for whatever reason, there's someone new coming in.

Random Name wrote:
I don't really know what space operas are but if they are like Aldnoah.Zero and ēlDLIVE then they can stay in the 80's.

A space opera is a story set in space in which the main focus is on the characters' emotional states. The goals for the protagonist in a space opera may be grand (destroy the Death Star, vanquish the Black Lantern Corps, win the war by defeating the Brainbug, prevent the Spiral Nemesis from destroying the universe), but they will still tie in to the protagonist and his or her friends' desire for happiness and satisfaction. It may be easier to understand if you know that the "opera" part derives not from the musical performances, but from "soap opera," which is known (perhaps infamously) for their melodrama and interpersonal conflicts.

This is in contrast to space stories like Rendezvous with Rama, 2001: A Space Odyssey, or Event Horizon, in which how the characters feel is less important than what happens around them and to them.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:49 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
The last one I can think of is Cowboy Bebop, and that was 20 years ago (though I suppose Code Geass might qualify).

I don't really consider Bebop to be a space opera, whereas Geass is most definitely not a space drama which should be pretty obvious with the fact that most of the entire series takes place on Earth.

EricJ2 wrote:

...Which also gives you some idea of how off-compass the New Trilogy is heading.

To the gen1ers it's been off compass since the prequels which was why TFA had so many homages to the original trilogy (which people roundly criticized) basically anyone tackling Star Wars in any media is destined to get backlash for something the works do that people felt was handled better in the original trilogies.....even things that weren't.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

Then, it looked like there was all that could be done with the genre in the 00's, and then Deadwood and 3:10 to Yuma came along.

The former of which would be unceremoniously cancelled and the latter being a remake of existing film helping to fuel the overdone complaint of Hollywood never does original stuff.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

But with any kind of story, give it time, and someone will eventually try it again. It's not always successful (2012 ended Hollywood disaster movies until Geostorm,

San Andreas which came out in 2015 and apparently is getting a sequel ?
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:40 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
To the gen1ers it's been off compass since the prequels which was why TFA had so many homages to the original trilogy (which people roundly criticized) basically anyone tackling Star Wars in any media is destined to get backlash for something the works do that people felt was handled better in the original trilogies.....even things that weren't.
I wouldn't call myself a genwunner, more of a anti-Disneyer. I thought the prequels were fine, just nowhere near as good, and dabbled in the EU extensively. It is funny seeing people suddenly turn around and say the prequels weren't that bad now after the sequels came out and they don't like them.

Maybe some genres should stay in the past if the alternative is JJ Abrams reboots.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I wouldn't call myself a genwunner, more of a anti-Disneyer. I thought the prequels were fine, just nowhere near as good, and dabbled in the EU extensively. It is funny seeing people suddenly turn around and say the prequels weren't that bad now after the sequels came out and they don't like them.

Maybe some genres should stay in the past if the alternative is JJ Abrams reboots.

One critic said it all when he panned Rogue One with "Star Wars's future should not be in its past."

Force Awakens worked not just because it was one big fan-protest stunt, but also because they did what WORKED for the Original trilogy: They hired Lawrence Kasdan to write it (Seeing as the plot mostly focused on Solo, and Kasdan wrote just about all of Solo's best lines that Harrison Ford didn't already ad-lib.)
Last Jedi, OTOH, got a little too swept up in its "new role" as the Empire Strikes Back of the New Trilogy, gave Rian Johnson the keys to the private sandbox, and Johnson did the ultimate Empire Strikes Back Fan-Fiction, with "Shocking revelations" every other scene. And threw a little of the Emperor & Luke scene Return of the Jedi in there, while he was on a roll.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:01 am Reply with quote
I actually want a big ol' space action slice of life about bounty hunting and traversing the known universe. Something in the veins of the fighting game Galaxy Fight and The Fifth Element but with some character development, not the kind that is the foci of the story, like in Gunsmith Cats. I like character development but hey, if the space opera is what is defined as recited by @LeafySeaDragon, then I can see why the space opera kind of fizzled out. And beyond the infinite possibilities of there being magic and supernatural powers like in Outlaw Star.... and 1990s styled catgirls/Numans..... Even Guardians of the Galaxy didn't meet this. I am thoroughly disappointed.
akari_house

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:07 am Reply with quote
Yamato 2199, quite possibly the greatest anime space opera of all time (and one of the best reboots ever, of the quintessential original anime space opera no less) has been newly streaming on Crunchyroll but you'd almost never know it here on ANN (other than the occasional minor news posting) thanks to it dropping between seasons and getting zero coverage in the stream reviews here. And its sequel 2202 is currently going through its theatrical rounds in Japan as we speak.

Meanwhile, Macross Delta (and previously Frontier) fail to get much notice either due to the licensing issue. Probably will hold true for the next Macross coming up as well.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:05 pm Reply with quote
My favorite space opera was the "GallForce" series. Coming in second would probably be Crest/Banner of the Stars.

Here's to hoping a bone will be thrown to us some day in the near future.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
There are some I like that fall under that banner, but I always thought of them as something else; Bebop Si-Fi Noir, Outlaw Star Space Western,

You have reminded me of something that was posted five years ago:
EricJ2 wrote:
[...] I always liked to use Outlaw Star as a more upbeat "chaser" to combat the damaging effects of recommending Cowboy Bebop to newbies--Same action, less noir. [...]
0nsen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:56 am Reply with quote
Wasn't the reason for the explosion of space operas, that you could cut production cost that way? Backgrounds in space are cheap to make. Space ships are pretty easy to draw compared to other vehicles. Light beams make sense in space, light beams are easy to draw. The interiors of space ships all look kind of the same, there's not much variation with color, everything is kind of sterile. And so on and so forth.

Given all that it makes sense to make a lot of space operas and if you make a lot of something, chances are high you get a couple of amazing results. At least I'm pretty sure back in those days cutting production cost was more of a reason to do something than consumer demand.

But after a while, space gets kind of boring. It's like,.. been there, done that. Especially watching lots of stuff from sunrise gives you the impression, that they basically make the same anime over and over again. Isekai may be a fad, but at least there's more variation. Each of them got to build an entire new world to explore, while space... is just space again.

So the force that pushed space was to cut production cost and the force that pushes Isekai is the creative freedom you get by creating an entire new world, but simultaneously have someone you can relate to in there, because he's from your world.

Not sure how I feel about it, but I think Isekai is here to stay. It was there in the 2000s (think Strange Dawn, Juuni Kokki,..), it was there in the 1990s (think El-Hazard, Fushigi Yuugi, Digimon Adventure, ... ), it was there in the 1980s (think Choujikuu Seiki Orguss, Seisenshi Dunbine,..) and god dammit, it was there in 1865, think Alice in Wonderland. And it got more popular, the less production cost was depending on drawing stuff by hand.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
Wasn't the reason for the explosion of space operas, that you could cut production cost that way? Backgrounds in space are cheap to make. Space ships are pretty easy to draw compared to other vehicles. Light beams make sense in space, light beams are easy to draw. The interiors of space ships all look kind of the same, there's not much variation with color, everything is kind of sterile. And so on and so forth.

I remember sometime in the mid-'90s I was watching this Anime movie on SciFi and at the end of the movie there was a clip from Macross! I couldn't believe it..... Shocked
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:13 pm Reply with quote
akari_house wrote:
Yamato 2199, quite possibly the greatest anime space opera of all time (and one of the best reboots ever, of the quintessential original anime space opera no less) has been newly streaming on Crunchyroll but you'd almost never know it here on ANN (other than the occasional minor news posting) thanks to it dropping between seasons and getting zero coverage in the stream reviews here. And its sequel 2202 is currently going through its theatrical rounds in Japan as we speak.

Meanwhile, Macross Delta (and previously Frontier) fail to get much notice either due to the licensing issue. Probably will hold true for the next Macross coming up as well.

Yamato 2199 is soooooo good, I don’t understand why more people don’t talk about it. I’m a huge sci-if geek, and I only ever heard about it long after it had finished. Such a shame it didn’t get the recognition it deserved.

I definitely wouldn’t say space operas are a dying breed, it’s just that many of the past few tries have been... not good. But in addition to 2199 (and it’s 2202 sequels) we’ve had Boudacious Space Pirates, Heroic Age, Towards the Terra, and so in in recent years. Never mind the fact that Gundam is going as strong as ever since X temporarily killed the franchise, and we’ve got a new LogB adaptation coming next year.

Sci-if anime in general seems to be doing much better recently, too (a category that includes classics like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun and Outlaw Star—that are not space operas). I’m especially happy that we’re getting so many robot stories these days. To quotas the great Isaac Asimov, “robots are the shit.”
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4