• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Violet Evergarden Begins on Netflix in Some Territories, Not U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:34 pm Reply with quote
MHAFMAB wrote:
I don't think any one is trying to be petty it's the truth other countries have it worse than the US.

It's still petty, and it is never a reasonable response to laugh at someone else's pain. Maybe it happens, but I've personally never mocked another region because they couldn't get something I have access to. I try to do the exact opposite and be as sympathetic as possible. And for the most part, that's what I see most people from the US doing as well. Now a lot of people are acting like 5 year old's because they get a toy that we don't get. If we could all at least act like adults, that would be nice.
flammie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Pretty obvious Netflix fully believes in the binge model for the US. I hope they will take a look at the view rates of Violet Evergarden for the US vs other countries to see if simulcasting weekly tv anime makes any sense for them.

For example:
Average anime "Netflix orignal" watch rates:
US: 15%
Canada: 10%
UK: 15%

Violet Evergarden watch rates:
US: 13%
Canada: 16%
UK: 19%

Of course, the simulcast/binge numbers might actually support the binge model which would then forever screw the hardcore anime fans on anime "Netflix originals".
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:49 pm Reply with quote
^Where'd you get those numbers??

I just finished up a chat with Netflix. Their rep was about as unhelpful as I expected, but was genuinely sympathetic, and claimed to be an anime fan himself waiting for Children of Whales. And will theoretically pass my comments on. I highly recommend anyone else in the US does the same. More people equals a louder voice.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
There might well be something weird about the license agreement. Hell, it could be something as simple as someone on the Japanese side who isn't really up on how Netflix works sticking something in there like those restrictions on when Blu-rays could be released in the US that Kadokawa occasionally pulls.

There could also be a weird regional thing going on. It went kind of under the radar, but back when NISA released the Black Rock Shooter PSP game, it was released in a truly random series of countries. Like, the US and Luxembourg were on there, but Canada and Spain weren't, IIRC. There was an odd rights patchwork issue or something along those lines.

Hell, it could be something as simple as Netflix forgetting to change some of the lines in the contract for something else. "Block release in one country, simulcast elsewhere" is an actual recurring thing, usually when a "Netflix Original" is a coproduction with another channel.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:04 pm Reply with quote
zendervai wrote:
There might well be something weird about the license agreement. Hell, it could be something as simple as someone on the Japanese side who isn't really up on how Netflix works sticking something in there like those restrictions on when Blu-rays could be released in the US that Kadokawa occasionally pulls.

I definitely don't see it being this. Anyone working in overseas licensing in Japan at this point is entirely familiar with simulcasting. They might not know how Netflix works, but only Netflix would approach a Production Committee and say "hey, can we have this. We're going to just sit on it till its over, but we'll give you tons of money." Any other international streaming company approaches with the intention to simulcast.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
A Nelson-esque "HAH-ha" seems apropos here...

I hear ya. This is certainly ironic, but, man, does it sting!

Anyone wanna join me in yelling @Netflix on Twitter? I think we should hit them on all sides--calling customer service, online suggestion forms, social media.

For the record, I'm glad they're simulstreaming *anywhere* (outside Japan). Next step is to get them to consider simulstreaming *everywhere*! What are they afraid of? That American showrunners will demand the once-weekly treatment next?
pacorro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I’m from Spain, and they have the Spanish dub ready too but I’m not crying like a baby because they are not simulcasting the show in Spain. I’m glad Netflix bought the rights for the international streaming for this show, as it means Kyoto Animation is receiving back what they invested on this show (which must have been a big quantity of money), and I’m glad Netflix has started simulcasting the show in some places. It means it’s a change of attitude from the company, and they are even prepearing the simulcast dubbed. Probably they aren’t simulcasting in the US (EEUU in Spanish heheh) and Spain because of legal issues or something, as this looks like a rushed decision and quite experimental. I will just patiently wait and enjoy the show in my home, full tv, full sound, when the moment arrives. During while, I’ll be checking other shows from the seasons (and studying hard T.T)
Glitterfiend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I live in Poland and I know how you guys feel, so I'd like to say that I sympathize with you and I'm sorry for other people who try to mock you. I hope that you'll ve able to see Violet Evergarden soon.
UnifiedDivyde

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Whew, the salt is real, huh?

It's almost like most people don't understand how licensing and such works.

But hey, gotta be entitled if you're from the US, I guess. Not like the US gets practically everything else and usually before 99% of other regions Rolling Eyes
liquidblueocean

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
There seems to be so much anger here against Netflix, completely ignoring that putting a JJ Japanese made show on in the US requires TWO parties to agree: distributor and licensee.

The distributor could have asked for much more $ for a popular show, while Netflix would say "hey, the US is big". Hence possible stalemate until they work it out.

It's not on in Australia either, even though it is in New Zealand. Since ANN have a dedicated site for these two countries, that shoulda been in the news article...
Gatherum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
xchampion wrote:
I'm sick and tired of anime fans and their entitlement. Y'all "must" have the episode, season, or even series all at once the moment it airs in Japan. I think simulcasts are great but it's because of that instant access that has created this entitlement. I guess I am in the very tiny minority that doesn't mind waiting a few months for the sub or dub. Heck I'm the guy watching shows like HxH and Jojo weekly on Toonami because I just want to watch the dub and enjoy it. When I can literally watch a all the available episodes subbed if I wanted too. I suppose patience is not a virtue within the anime community.

I don’t mind waiting for shows to stream on Netflix, as I have done and will continue to do, but for this show at least, I don’t see why they have any valid excuse not to be simulcasting it in the US if they have it available in other English speaking countries. They have demonstrated they are perfectly capable of simulcasting this show as it airs, in English and other languages, both subbed and dubbed, so I am left wondering why they can’t stream it here. What’s stopping them? If it is legal hurdles, why did they apply to the US but not Canada or the UK, among other countries? I’m sure they have an answer. I’m just not sure it is very convincing.

I agree with xchampion, but putting that aside, I'll take a stab at your question.

I think it's probably related to US binge-watching culture and the market which surrounds it. It is, itself, an alternative form of instant gratification, but it is Netflix's classic area of expertise. This is not the broadcast television of yore; their clientele are comprised largely of people who don't have either the time or patience to keep up with shit on a weekly basis--hell, I'm only watching like two or three shows at the moment through VRV, each airing on different days, and I'm consistently late in "tuning in" to all of them.

I would wager that they're holding off on releasing it in the US market because it's their largest money-maker and they want to make sure that this whole vaunted "simulcasting" concept about which the anime community keep screaming is worth its weight in hard fiat. If it works well enough in other territories, maybe they'll give it a try over here.

In the mean time, if you don't want to wait, but still want to offer your support without going through more illicit channels, there's a simple solution: Log in to Netflix through an online proxy web site hosted in Canada. If Netflix hard-codes your region in to your subscription, cancel it and then re-register via the same method.

I did this with Qobuz because I was looking for a legal lossless digital download of the Halo 4 Original Soundtrack Vol. 2, which is only available in Europe. I decided that as a willing, paying customer, I'd give their regional licensing the finger. I didn't even need the proxy to log in and buy more shit; all they care about is from where you register. Netflix would have to have very diligent account auditors to prevent this.
russ869

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:48 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
lol I'm waiting for the BD's (An even longer wait.) to release before watching so seeing all these comments in articles like these always makes me laugh.

Same here.

It is strangely curious why Netflix is streaming the series (with dub no less) everywhere except the US. Reminds me of when I first got into anime you could pirate download English dubbed episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh!'s Alcatraz arc that had already aired in other countries months ago, even while all they were showing in the US were endless reruns of the previous arc. This is almost literally just like that.
MHAFMAB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:09 pm Reply with quote
It is considered entitlement because we agree to their terms not ours we are paying for their service, but we don't own the company they run it however they want in the long run.[/quote]
CaRoss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I understand the frustration that American's are facing. Hulu provided much of the same issue that they're experiencing now for Canadian fans like myself in the late 2000's and early 2010's. It sucks: I know.

The only thing to really do is to contact Netflix and see if they'll give an answer. If enough viewers in the US contact them then there's a good chance that someone will get an answer. That's all I can really offer as that was all I was really offered when I was going through this same issue with Hulu back in the day.

Other than that, I'm definitely excited to check this out. I've been really looking forward to this one and cannot wait to just settle in and start watching.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:38 pm Reply with quote
HA

(sorry, I'd feel a lot more sympathetic if this didn't happen to the UK for almost every. single. title.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8