• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Cosplayer Draws Manga About Asperger Syndrome

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
Because Aspe-chan doens't understand fine nuance, she has trouble when she receives unclear instructions. In particular, she has trouble with words such as "a little," "that," "over there," "properly," and "suitably."

As someone with aspergers, this is so spot on. I've seen western tv try to portray aspergers before and they ALWAYS get it so wrong. But this particular part that I quoted, I have to comment on specifically. This is a question for you normal people:

Why can't you just give specific instructions? What's wrong with that? It just makes sense. I literally CANNOT understand why people can't just explain exactly what they want. It just sounds like laziness/lack of care to me.

Anyway, I expected this to be inaccurate garbage like all similar attempts I've seen done, but this whole thing is spot-on. Props to Akagi Kuro

There is a big reason people are indirect. Culturally, people are taught that asking for things directly is considered rude. We have that tendency in English speaking countries, but it's even worse in Japan, where it's considered extremely rude to simply say "no" to any invitation, and they have multiple phrases to work around that. For many people around the world, expression is a diplomatic art. For many other people, it's a frustrating mess where people should just say what they mean.

This comic sounds excellent, and I'd love to read a translation!
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:42 am Reply with quote
I would be lying if I said I didn't have this but I do....;;; I wish I didn't but I do. I feel this so hard. I still live with my father and often yells at me when he tries to explain or give directions when I don't get it. I always start crying and its just so hard to explain to people and him that you need to explain in a direct way. I understand this so much.

I hope that it ends up being an actual manga or make more.

Thank you to the person that drew this and hopefully people will understand more about people with this.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
ChrissyC wrote:
It`s good for such things since I hear that there is generally a lack of understanding of mental illness in Asia (Is it non-apparent, no, but many things common here are still strange there).

It's not that there's a lack of understanding, rather there's less of a "snowflake" entitlement mentality, which has become out of control in the many parts of the West. People shouldn't be allowed to use disability as an excuse to gain privileges over the general populace. They and others affected (family, friends, etc.) should simply be given pity and hope for the best.

Although it's about full-blown autism rather than Asperger's, Hikari to Tomoni is a great manga with drama adaptation to see the similarities and some differences in how autism is viewed in Japan. Considering it started in 2000 (2004 for the live-action adaptation), a time when a lot less within medical circles was known about autism, it was quite ahead of its time.

Last edited by Compelled to Reply on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:18 am; edited 4 times in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
As an Aspie, it is nice when there is a manga that addresses a condition/disorder/issue that specifically applies to me. I wasn't diagnosed with autism until just before high school.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:53 am Reply with quote
Very relateable to me and hits the right things on expression. Translating and spreading the word would do wonders.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:41 am Reply with quote
#854626 wrote:
pretty much all the super elitist anime fans have Aspergers. I have aspergers and am almost 26 and I've had to learn to let people have there opinions. When people say avatar is an anime, i just have to pretend i didn't hear them lol.

I attribute that to bad parenting and being unversed in being a decent human being. No excuses.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:10 am Reply with quote
Not all Aspe people are exactly like this though. My older brother has aspergers and he has had several friends who all have aspergers. And every one of them can have quite different traits than the others. Some fit the typical textbook archetype, the cold logical one. Others don't like my brother, who's emotions can flip at the drop of a hat. (My brother can also be that totally logical black and white type too, while completely ignoring any sense of reason. According to him there is only right and wrong. Opinions aren't a real thing and there are only facts. Which lends well to his religious zealotry)

There are some traits that they all share in common though.
HolsteinCrab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:47 am Reply with quote
I have to say kudos to this manga and subsequently this article for encouraging a positive and sympathetic discussion about aspergers.

I am one of the many who has it but was undiagnosed until I pursued an answer as a young adult despite having deep suspicions about it as an adolescent. (In hindsight I feel an earlier diagnosis would've prevented some catastrophes that occurred in connection with it but at the time my concerns were brushed off as fanciful label seeking.) Aspergers is, unfortunately, becoming a sort of perverse 'fashion statement' used to either excuse poor behaviour or in some cases fish for special treatment which in turn has brewed a considerable amount of cynicism about the condition.

Because of this cynicism I questioned myself and at times continue to question myself over the problems that aspergers causes because how do I know it's not just me being weak and immature and a brat? When I mentally can no longer handle conversations or people in my physical space it is not because I'm a disinterested jerk but because I am at my limit and cannot tolerate any more without my mind breaking down - yet I feel an absolute jerkface for emotionally disconnecting and needing to be alone - I should be stronger - I'm just being a child etc. What needs to be understood and I think this manga is doing a game job at conveying, is that aspergers isn't a case of 'WON'T' but 'CAN'T'. For some people with AS, nuance just isn't something that they can easily process. For others they might not be able to accept illogical statements such as the teacher's line "If you're not going to make an effort, [you should] go home!" (やる気がないから, 帰れ) without actually meaning 'go home', prompting Aspe-chan to think "But you said [it was okay to] go home..." (帰っていいって言った のに...) - some people with AS might want to spend ages arguing over how the teacher is in the wrong for being misleading and how the statement they made doesn't technically mean what they said and how it is illogical to expect someone to not connotate the direct meaning of those words. It doesn't help that AS is a complicated condition that doesn't affect all equally so those with lighter cases may be as capable as someone without AS in certain criteria (e.g. able to pick up on nuance, be casually sociable, have strong empathy etc) but then struggle with over-fixating or information overload yet because they seem fine in other areas, their AS problems may be ignored or written off as something they can easily control but just aren't trying hard enough with.

It would be wonderful if this idea could go further and inspire a manga collection of various AS perspectives to help shed further light on the subject. Bits of this I identified with but other parts did not apply to me and that is because not one AS person is the same. It's not that I want to feel perfectly represented but rather I'd like to see several different takes on top of this so that the many different flavours of AS are made apparent and people can understand that AS is not a 'one size fits all' condition so those with AS aren't dismissed because they don't fit the common perception or have cases where people try to paint them as incapable of certain things when they are not. People with AS are as complicated and varied as People without AS. And that's because at the end of the day they're all people. It's just a case of different stats and trying to figure out how to manage with the stats they have to work with.

Anyway brava to her for having the courage to speak about it. I struggle to open up about it as a westerner in a mostly open-minded country, I can imagine it must feel an even bigger taboo in a country where attitudes towards disability and mental health tend to be more along the 'sweep under the rug' kind...
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:19 am Reply with quote
As an Aspie who's decently versed in all the social cues normal people have, I can't help but feel that this manga is making uncouth assumptions about how I work.

Still, kudos for the author for paying attention to AS in the first place.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:20 am Reply with quote
As an Aspie who's decently versed in all the social cues normal people have, I can't help but feel that this manga is making uncouth assumptions about how I work.

Still, kudos for the author for paying attention to AS in the first place.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:23 am Reply with quote
Considering Aspergers and autism are internet code words for “complete idiot”, it’s quite something for this person to make this.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
It's not that there's a lack of understanding, rather there's less of a "snowflake" entitlement mentality, which has become out of control in the many parts of the West. People shouldn't be allowed to use disability as an excuse to gain privileges over the general populace. They and others affected (family, friends, etc.) should simply be given pity and hope for the best.

Although it's about full-blown autism rather than Asperger's, Hikari to Tomoni is a great manga with drama adaptation to see the similarities and some differences in how autism is viewed in Japan. Considering it started in 2000 (2004 for the live-action adaptation), a time when a lot less within medical circles was known about autism, it was quite ahead of its time.

The entire point of Hikari to Tomoni (With the Light) is that autistic people have a right to whatever accommodation and assistance is necessary to fully participate in society, not just "pity and hope for the best".
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:29 pm Reply with quote
As someone who was diagnosed with "autism" (not sure if it's Asperger's specifically) since childhood, I understand how depressing life can get after being screamed at and never respected. Sad Here's hoping Kuro Akagi's Asperger's manga gets translated one day.
stefand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I think that's what most people with AS want not pity or special treatment, Most would be content if the other would understand, that they are not stupid or devoid of emotions.

There is also a german comic about how it is having AS. It's from a woman with AS and it is funny and really helpful to understand, how it feels to live "on the wrong planet", as she writes:
http://www.fuchskind.de/?nav=as
(I just found out it is translated into english, see the link)
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Why can't you just give specific instructions? What's wrong with that? It just makes sense. I literally CANNOT understand why people can't just explain exactly what they want. It just sounds like laziness/lack of care to me.

While I do make a conscious effort to explain things precisely where possible, you have to understand it from the other perspective.

"Understanding" is a personal trait. One can't simply know when something is misunderstood or why if they aren't notified.

If you have difficulty understanding something, other people won't know that unless you tell them. For all they know, vague explanations are perfectly understood by one another. It's not a matter of laziness, but a matter of being a non-issue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3