• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Cosplayer Draws Manga About Asperger Syndrome

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:

It's not that there's a lack of understanding, rather there's less of a "snowflake" entitlement mentality, which has become out of control in the many parts of the West. People shouldn't be allowed to use disability as an excuse to gain privileges over the general populace. They and others affected (family, friends, etc.) should simply be given pity and hope for the best.

I'm sorry, how is asking for accommodations for disabilities "gaining privileges over the general populace", who are already accommodated? From another perspective, the general population doesn't realize how overly privileged they are. They don't need sign language interpreters because they can understand spoken speech. They don't need elevators because they have the ability to walk up stairs, which are built everywhere for their benefit. They don't need public transportation, because the majority of the United States was built specifically for people who can drive, with little alternatives for people who can't.
When people who communicate differently, travel differently, or think differently ask for accommodations just to make things equal, they get pushback from people who take all their privileges for granted, who can't even imagine what it might be like not to be able to see, hear, walk, or think like the majority of people infrastructure is built to accommodate.
Reconsider your ablelist attitude. Asking to live like everybody else is not a privilege. Not having to consider what it feels like to need accommodations is a privilege in and of itself.
jtstellar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:34 pm Reply with quote
as someone who grew up under an "aspie" mom, i just think that "aspies" are a type of people with certain physical traits that as opposed to some who get fat or get severe headaches when they are under physical or emotional stress, the aspies tend to turn off a part of their cognitive functions, and these tend to be more on the emotional / communicational side and hence they may actually perform even better than regular people under stress in a standard work post situation where, as stated here and there thousands of times, clear instructions are given.

if you can create a very stress free environment though, and i am talking about one that is both perfect in physical health perspective and emotional perspective, they can act just like normal persons, and their ability to read nuance will expand. those who find themselves constantly having issues with nuances should probably look in this regard.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:53 pm Reply with quote
How in the world did I not see this until now? The comic is very cute, and I can relate to it a lot, other than that last one about the going home bit.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Akagi has been posting more and more strips for this. I really hope someone translates them or licenses it and puts it into a book! I'd love to own it, and I can relate to it so much! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3