• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Winter 2018

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Here's what I said about not putting Saiki K in the poll in the other feedback thread.

Quote:
Due to the show's unique format (5-minute shorts combined into 20 minutes at the end of the week) and lack of popularity, we won't consider covering it. The chinese copro sequels and ClassicaLoid are also not on the list for the latter reason.

On the one hand, due to the sheer number of cutesy low-stakes stuff this season, our winter review slate probably has the greatest number of "things people are watching" (Hakumei and Mikochi, Hakata Ramens, Takagi-san, Ryuo's Work!, etc.) that aren't being covered. On the other hand, all the stuff we're not covering did not poll well at all, so hopefully it won't be too missed compared to the stuff we are writing about.

In response to the PTE questions, Pop Team Epic polled extremely well, Gabriella likes the show, and she's planning on doing something unique with the reviews in keeping with the strangeness of PTE itself. Look foward to it! Very Happy

Last edited by JacobC on Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
Sigh... No Sanrio Boys, no Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens*, no DamePri, no IDOLiSH7, not even season 2 of Sword Boys... I thought at least Sanrio Boys would make the cut. The girl stuff doesn't get enough love....

Thank god im not the only one who feels that this daily stream, feels a bit biased. It feels like the guys got the cake & the girls got a dusting of sprinkles.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
A tad disappointed that DamePri and Katana Maidens didn't make the list. DamePri has a great sense of humor and the Katana Maidens story is looking good based on the first 2 episodes. Also I am surprised that they gave Citrus to Chris Farris since he is not known for liking fanservice shows.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I think Nick should have gotten Deathmarch considering James doesn't even like isekai and he got 3 other shows this season compared to Nick who only has one. His review was also the most favorable one of the bunch.
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow...
Of the ten shows starting this season, eight of them are getting reviews. Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens and Katana Maidens missing the cut. I'm disappointed that Katana Maidens didn't get in, especially since it's gonna be a two-Cour run.

I still find the decision to review Violet Evergarden disagreeable. Even though this is the highest profile series that's been behind Netflix's time-wall, others haven't been touched as they streamed.

Also would it hurt to have a recap and then ongoing review of Yamato 2199's dub at least?
Ragdollomega

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:26 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:

In response to the PTE questions, Pop Team Epic polled extremely well, Gabriella likes the show, and she's planning on doing something unique with the reviews in keeping with the strangeness of PTE itself. Look foward to it! Very Happy

That's great to hear. I'll be looking forward to Gabriella's reviews. Smile
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
lebrel wrote:
Sigh... No Sanrio Boys, no Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens*, no DamePri, no IDOLiSH7, not even season 2 of Sword Boys... I thought at least Sanrio Boys would make the cut. The girl stuff doesn't get enough love....

Thank god im not the only one who feels that this daily stream, feels a bit biased. It feels like the guys got the cake & the girls got a dusting of sprinkles.

Girls vote in the poll as well, so their tastes are represented by our total, which is the metric we use along with social media/forums hype for programming and user votes on the premieres. But lower-end girl anime (Sanrio Boys is not exactly appointment viewing in the same vein as the new Cardcaptor Sakura) tends to have a greater struggle than lower-end boy anime due to the old marketing conundrum of "girls will watch boy stuff, but not the reverse". (The Ryuo's Work is Never Done! polled very badly, so of course this isn't a universal problem. Some low-interest guy stuff tanks too.) Nothing we can really do about the inherent demographic bias except hold out for high-quality girl anime, but shows like IDOLiSH7 and a couple others at least will definitely get a full series review at the end of the season.

ultimatehaki wrote:
I think Nick should have gotten Deathmarch considering James doesn't even like isekai and he got 3 other shows this season compared to Nick who only has one. His review was also the most favorable one of the bunch.

Nick could only cover one thing for us this season, so he had to finish out his run on March comes in like a lion, which is probably a better use of his time than Death March anyhow. Laughing

Last edited by JacobC on Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eddy564

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Can someone explain to me in further detail why SDS can’t be reviewed? I don’t get it. Sorry to be a bother.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:31 pm Reply with quote
At least School Babysitters made the cut. Smile
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:
Can someone explain to me in further detail why SDS can’t be reviewed? I don’t get it. Sorry to be a bother.

It’s in Netflix limbo everywhere but Japan AFAIK.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, most of the titles I voted for made it. I was mildly curious about The Ryou's Work is Never Done!, but I don't think it's going to be the surprise of the season or anything. No Hakumei and Mikochi is a bit more disappointing. Sad

Last edited by CatSword on Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gsilver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I, for one, very much look forward to the Pop Team Epic reviews.
That show will be quite difficult to talk about, if the first two episodes are any indication... but it will be entertaining.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Some series I understand, some series I question, but after last year's reviews, I'm kind of glad Hakumei and Mikochi was left out.
SkiaEsh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Almost every series I voted for made it in outside of Takagi-san, which is a minor miracle since some of the stuff was more niche (i.e. School Babysitters). Well, ANN will probably do a full series review at some point for the missed shows either after they are completed or when/if they release on Blu/DVD, so I am not really worried.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I'm glad Dragon Ball Super and Boruto are going to keep getting reviews but disappointed some of my favorites of this season are not getting covered like The Ryou's Work is never done and Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens. The bias against certain series and how this entire site is geared towards one way of thinking continues being a huge negative.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6