• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Fantastic Final Days of Girls' Last Tour

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
They can think what they want, that's what fan fiction is for after all.

The manga isn't exactly full of the girls crushing on boys, either, so maybe them being straight is an idea that can be relegated to fan fiction, as well (there's nothing that says that post-apocalyptic moe girls have to be heterosexual by default).
Sparvid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
The "Mushrooms" tell the girls that they've only explored the higher levels but not the highest level.

So Ishii,last we saw,was headed for the ground level and Kanzawa was left wandering the lower levels.

But at the same time, Grandpa told the girls to keep heading upwards, making it sound like the lower levels is not a place you'd want to stay at. Maybe the last survivors had already used up all the resources there.
lostbirdinatree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Does that "Girls' Last Vore" comment count as NSFW?

Anyways, if you want my 2 cents on this show, I still stand by the idea that the show is comfy until it starts freaking you out with the destructive capabilities of mankind. I really love that strange digital design (the black circles on a white background) that appears whenever the construction and caretaker robots communicate, and "The Sound of Rain", while being the most pure version of SoL in this show, is my favourite segment.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Sparvid wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:
The "Mushrooms" tell the girls that they've only explored the higher levels but not the highest level.

So Ishii,last we saw,was headed for the ground level and Kanzawa was left wandering the lower levels.

But at the same time, Grandpa told the girls to keep heading upwards, making it sound like the lower levels is not a place you'd want to stay at. Maybe the last survivors had already used up all the resources there.

I think this discussion is skirting the edge of spoiler territory.

spoiler[The mushroom folk may not have revisited the relevant levels since the events portrayed in those episodes either. Even if there are other humans alive, there probably aren't many of them. Two fertile girls might play an enormous role.]

I rarely read manga, but I might make an exception in this case since it is now complete.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:10 pm Reply with quote
^^Finally someone gets to a point I was going to make other than obsessing on whether Chi and Yuu are lesbians. What Kanazawa needs to do is find somewhere with food and water, probably outside the CITY, and get to repopulating with Chi, Yuu and maybe Iishi if she can be found. Unless they really want the human race to end, some will suggest it should for what they did.

About Chi-Yuu, in Ep 8 Chi kisses Yuu, who reacts with something like mild disgust so I maintain Yuu at least isn't gay and everything that happens fits with them being "sisters" or friends of necessity. I also find it a little irritating that the first thing some people ask about any two characters in anime is if they are gay or not and look for evidence of the former.

This was a great show and really hope for a second season if possible.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
What Kanazawa needs to do is find somewhere with food and water, probably outside the CITY, and get to repopulating with Chi, Yuu and maybe Iishi if she can be found.

You need at least 50 people to repopulate humanity, unless you want to avoid the majority of the second generation having cripplingly debilitating birth defects, in which case you need somewhere between 500 and 5000 fertile survivors. There are a lot of scientific articles on this; search for ones about how many people you'd need to take with you to colonize another planet if you want to get really depressed.
Lightice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:49 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Unless they really want the human race to end, some will suggest it should for what they did.

The point of the show is, the human race has ended. That there's still a handful of people kicking around doesn't change the fact that the species is doomed. There's not enough genetic diversity, and even if there was, there wouldn't be enough resources to keep them going.

Quote:
I also find it a little irritating that the first thing some people ask about any two characters in anime is if they are gay or not and look for evidence of the former.

Many anime, including this one, deliberately introduce some romantic ambiguity into the interactions of very close female characters, for the sake of wider audience appeal. But the main reason for the yuri shipping in this show is that Tsukumizu, herself, made a semi-official doujin chapter to the manga, where the girls' are ordinary college students, and have extreme obvious romantic feelings for each other -- and it ends with it turning out that it was actually a dream that Yuu had in the "real" continuity.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:45 am Reply with quote
There is something a bit troubling about the way some people feel the need to cast every close relationship as romantic and sexual (especially in the case of Frodo and Samwise, which Jackson explicitly modeled on military brothers in arms, so that people trying to insert homesexuality were erasing an incredibly common human experience).
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

You need at least 50 people to repopulate humanity, unless you want to avoid the majority of the second generation having cripplingly debilitating birth defects, in which case you need somewhere between 500 and 5000 fertile survivors. There are a lot of scientific articles on this; search for ones about how many people you'd need to take with you to colonize another planet if you want to get really depressed.

Quite true. If those four are the only ones left alive on this continent the end is near. Even if those four went the baby making route, without modern medical facilities death from even minor birth complications is a real danger. Not to mention all of the survivors probably suffer from some form of malnutrition which will further compromise their health and make them more susceptible to illness and disease. Toxic and radioactive environments are also invisible threats to the survivors.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:34 am Reply with quote
Lightice wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I also find it a little irritating ...
... the main reason for the yuri shipping in this show is that Tsukumizu, herself, made a semi-official doujin chapter to the manga, where the girls' are ordinary college students, and have extreme obvious romantic feelings for each other -- and it ends with it turning out that it was actually a dream that Yuu had in the "real" continuity.
Thanks for this! Although it seemed to me that Chi was the one dreaming, so they aren't an official couple...If the author intends it, I'm fine with it because it is their prerogative and I do actually like yuri (some will say "fake yuri").
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:39 am Reply with quote
Sparvid wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:

The manga is published officially online,recently released chapters are freely available to read ( Japanese of course) or look at.

The answer to your question though is.. 42.
Lightice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Thanks for this! Although it seemed to me that Chi was the one dreaming, so they aren't an official couple...If the author intends it, I'm fine with it because it is their prerogative and I do actually like yuri (some will say "fake yuri").

*facepalm*
I linked it without reading it again. I first saw it a couple of weeks ago and forgot which one of them had the dream.

And no, they're not an official couple. The author does seem to ship the two, but not enough to make it quite official -- like I said, this is one of those times when deliberate subtext is introduced into the narrative with sufficient plausible deniability that people can interpret it whichever way they please, so the author or the production company doesn't have to fear being relegated to the niche of queer fiction in the eyes of the general audience, but can still flirt with potential viewers from that demographic. It's cynical, but that's how it often goes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2