• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Valkyria Chronicles 4: Eastern Front Revealed for 2018 on PS4, Xbox One, Switch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:50 pm Reply with quote
IN!

Hell yes. My PS4 is ready.
movie_buff36

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:57 pm Reply with quote
no PC version?? despite selling almost a million copy on steam?? pfttttt
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote
Woohoo, I love being wrong about stuff like this. Awesome news SEGA, and I'm thrilled that they're returning to the CANVAS engine and it will be more in line with the first three.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The game is set in the same world and the same Second Europan War that provides the backdrop for the original Valkyria Chronicles and Valkyria Chronicles III.

Megiddo wrote:
Woohoo, I love being wrong about stuff like this. Awesome news SEGA, and I'm thrilled that they're returning to the CANVAS engine and it will be more in line with the first three.

Yes, didn't play Revolution, but heard the main problem was some kind of new advancing system that only ended up making the battles easier and more off the point the longer you played--
Which took away from the realism of the European War setting, and the use of ground strategy with a more harmless anime overlay.

Haven't played V2&3 either, but it's definitely sounding like Revolutions was more of a freak occurrence from other hands.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:05 am Reply with quote
Sweet. I'll be getting it for the Switch then.

Going off topic, I wonder if they have considered making remasters or remakes for 2 and 3.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:16 am Reply with quote
I'll wait till we have some real gameplay footage to get excited. VC1 was great, but 2-3 proved that Sega had no idea what made it great in the first place.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:23 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I'll wait till we have some real gameplay footage to get excited. VC1 was great, but 2-3 proved that Sega had no idea what made it great in the first place.

VC2 gameplay was pretty good IMHO. They delt fairly well with the limited resources of the PSP by keeping the maps smallish but linking maps together. Havn’t played VC3.

But Sega. Please make this good. And please have an awesome story.
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:04 am Reply with quote
This is about the best news this franchise could have. That and we need the anime released in the US. Someone needs to make it happen! Either way, I'm down for this day one. Hopefully there's a LE release of some sort in the West. I wouldn't want to miss the return of the original characters from the first game.
Mikasa_su_casa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:12 am Reply with quote
This is a nice bit of news!
Makes sense to switch to a different faction since Gallia is probably played out at this point
Art so far looks nice, though I have some doubts about that weapon the grenadier has, looks like something out of warhammer 40K rather than WWII
I just hope there's no archaic sword classes in the game, and I'll be happy

ScruffyKiwi wrote:
meiam wrote:

VC2 gameplay was pretty good IMHO. They delt fairly well with the limited resources of the PSP by keeping the maps smallish but linking maps together. Havn’t played VC3.

I'm still salty over the class change system - it's the worst I've ever seen, since the distribution of credits for class change is basically random. It drove me batty trying to give Anisette a flamethrower or make Cosette a medic.
Yazu13

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:26 am Reply with quote
Feeling pretty betrayed there's no PC version.............this series would be dead if the PC port of the first game didn't do as well as it did.
RALPineda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:35 am Reply with quote
Mikasa_su_casa wrote:

Art so far looks nice, though I have some doubts about that weapon the grenadier has, looks like something out of warhammer 40K rather than WWII

It's a mortar (or at least the VC universe's version of a mortar). You can see the baseplate on the weapon, and you can see Riley commanding a mortar squad in the trailer. It fits since she's in the weapons/fire support company.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:44 am Reply with quote
Dear Saga,

Don't F it up.

Sincerely,

Tuor
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:07 am Reply with quote
Mikasa_su_casa wrote:
Makes sense to switch to a different faction since Gallia is probably played out at this point
I just hope there's no archaic sword classes in the game, and I'll be happy

ScruffyKiwi wrote:
meiam wrote:

I'm still salty over the class change system - it's the worst I've ever seen, since the distribution of credits for class change is basically random. It drove me batty trying to give Anisette a flamethrower or make Cosette a medic.

I can’t recall it being random. From what I remember it depend on how much they contributed to the mission. I prefered VC2’s class system to VC1. It was alot more granular.

Oh, and SEGA please dont use aweful gay steriotypes like you did in VC1. That was just bad and really detracted from an awesome game.
Mikasa_su_casa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:31 am Reply with quote
RALPineda wrote:
Mikasa_su_casa wrote:

It's a mortar (or at least the VC universe's version of a mortar). You can see the baseplate on the weapon, and you can see Riley commanding a mortar squad in the trailer. It fits since she's in the weapons/fire support company.

Ha! I thought the baseplate was a stock Very Happy
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Mikasa_su_casa wrote:
I can’t recall it being random. From what I remember it depend on how much they contributed to the mission. I prefered VC2’s class system to VC1. It was alot more granular.

In theory. But I would end missions with a character I wanted to class change ranked 1 and they still wouldn't get the diploma, or ArmsX II or whatever credit they needed while somebody else was sitting on five certificates they were never going to use.

The VC1 system of leveling up/upgrading the entire troop class at once was far superior imo
I did absolutely no grinding on VC1; and for most of the game was underfunded and under-equipped against a technologically superior enemy and could beat the game; but in VC2 I had to grind individual characters just to attempt to get them into classes that best fit their potentials and it was a pain.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:05 am Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Oh, and SEGA please dont use aweful gay steriotypes like you did in VC1. That was just bad and really detracted from an awesome game.

Really? I thought Jann was really popular among fans. He was easily my favorite Lancer in VC1.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2