• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Uramichi Oniisan Manga Explains Problems of Illegal Distribution Sites

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:43 pm Reply with quote
The series has a really creative niche so it's definitely more fitting to discuss the topic than others without feeling out of place.
Sprocket

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:31 am Reply with quote
And just in time for [removed] the only scanlation site with any shred of integrity, to shut down!

[EDIT: It's still an active scanlation site ~Zalis]
casenumber00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how common this is but I started out pirating manga, anime, light novels, and visual novels and, to some degree, I still do. I was a kid then and discovered media like this and liked them but, at that time, there was very few ways to get it legally. At that time I started buying figures, art books and things like that because I liked what I was viewing, yes I was bringing money to content creators where there was little means to do so. Now it's different. I still buy those but Ialso subscribe to baically all anime streaming platforms, buy manga, buy disks, buy games, etc but there are things out there that I simply can't get legally. I be been around for some time and I have gotten into things like certain manga and games you can't find outside of Japan.An example, I am a huge TYPEMOON fan but the center and main stories of the visual novels of Fate and Tsukihime have no legal way to view them, I only read them through fan translated downloads. I have bought related merchandise to show my appreciation for the company but it is frustrating that there is no initiative, from the original creators/ publisher or localization companies, to bring these to my consumer hands. This is true for various manga, anime, games, or other media where the stuff is often niche. For me, pirating anime got me into a medium I love and I still do it occasionally to this day and I am going to continue to pirate these things I can't get a hold of. I wrote this on my phone so excuse some errors.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:16 am Reply with quote
If there's any issue I have with the Japanese side of copyright enforcement, it's the matter of understanding the ethical and social climate which other nations have that differentiates "matter of crime" to "gray level matter action", and the lack of understanding, let alone discovering how the other side of the world works.

If you ask me, I haven't seen a single overseas site where there are straight up lifted from serials to the internet scans of Japanese manga. Granted, I'm sure that if I look around enough, there are such scans, but for the most part all of these scans are translated to English and other overseas languages as well. Either the author has a point or is pointing out to an imaginary boogeyman.

Sympathizing heavily with @casenumber00, you want a market? Invest in one, and learn how to make it work.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:15 am Reply with quote
...aaand the one-shot has been translated and is out there, by same group that translates Uramichi, so if anyone wants to read the one-shot in question... Smile
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:52 am Reply with quote
It's important to remember that just because it is an unauthorized distribution, it is not always an illegal distribution. For example, a now public domain movie was uploaded onto YT. While you were not authorized by the previous rights holders to upload, legally you don't need to ask permission. Of course, many copyright maximalists (namely the Disney Empire) may feed this idea to the public that all unauthorized distributions of works are illegal, outside of fair use. That idea becomes even more distorted if those maximalists built their success in part because of the public domain.

In the case of the above example, I am talking about a movie that was not adapted from a still-copyrighted book as that still-copyrighted source material can be used to remove said movie from the public domain. Also, the movie has had all applicable copyrights (such as scripts or music) lapse and there are no existing trademarks. As far as the movie version, I am taking about a version that is the same as its original theatrical release. A digitally-remastered or director's cut version gets its own copyright.

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
In the case of the above example, I am talking about a movie that was not adapted from a still-copyrighted book as that still-copyrighted source material can be used to remove said movie from the public domain. Also, the movie has had all applicable copyrights (such as scripts or music) lapse and there are no existing trademarks.

That's the thing. Many companies, like Disney, even though stuff falls into public domain or they've used public domain stuff for their own works, can still get trademarks for that stuff, like titles and character names, and keep them however long they want as long as they renew them, even if the works in question are in public domain, showcased by the many legal battles Disney and Warner Bros have had over Wizard of Oz... Confused
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:55 am Reply with quote
Public-domain soapboxing removed ~Zalis]
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I would like to read about what a manga-ka's views are on trademarks on works acting as a perpetual copyright (from a practical standpoint) and about copyright restoration.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Nice read. Considering the amount of ANN articles about this issue in Japan, I think it was a good idea. But folks are still going to do it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1