• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Masaaki Yuasa Responds to Critic's Poor Review of Devilman Crybaby

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Something is literally lost in translation, I think the only thing that should be noted is if it is considered a success/failure based on viewership rate.
belldandy.99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:05 am Reply with quote
The truth of the matter is that Masaaki YUASA's works have always had a more western appeal, that is undeniable, you just need to check his works, so criticizing him for not pandering to japanese otakus standards at this point is like the guy does not even know YUASA-san.

He has never pandered to otaku, period, he had even less of a reason to do so for an anime aiming to be liked internationally rather than just by "THOSE" type of japnese otaku, even when his shows were only local projects he didn't, why would he now?
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:14 am Reply with quote
No idea what this critic is trying to say. Maybe he was creatively trying to come up with something other than "this show is stupid"? I mean, that was my personal take on the show. Gratuitously stupid entertainment.
Marzan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:40 am Reply with quote
What a mediocre and insular outlook. Seems to me that more than anything he’s triggered by Yuasa’s adherence to his own style and failure to follow the herd.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:41 am Reply with quote
All he needed to say is that he didn't like it because it wasn't moe enough. Laughing
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:01 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
He knows this is based off of Go Nagai's manga, right? Since he's so vague in his criticism, it's hard to tell if he even realizes that much.
But Crybaby is based on it, not adapted it at all. It's pretty much a self-sustained remake of Nagai manga, with pretty much original story in terms of content, except some events.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:09 am Reply with quote
i feel like i hear a lot of fear in this critics responses. he's afraid that anime will eventually stop trying to serve japanese culture and only focus on stories that will sell to other countries cultures. i hope that doesnt happen myself.

i do hate anime like 8 year old lesbian dragon maids or whatever its called, or lucky star or ero softcore inscest sensie and badly animated 3dcg animal friends or whatever. However, if they like it, they should keep making it for themselves, and make masterpieces like devilman: crybaby for big nose, hairy, chubby westerners like me.

We here in america love stories about other cultures. Not just about japan like in a lot of anime, but stuff like game of thrones, which was written by an american author but he was inspired by a lot of books from the European regions. theirs no shame in enjoying OR creating content from different cultures.
belldandy.99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:09 am Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
All he needed to say is that he didn't like it because it wasn't moe enough. Laughing

Darn right. PERIOD.

This is the issue really. Nothing less and nothing more.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:16 am Reply with quote
Anime's gradual loss of its uniquely Japanese identity does bother me. A lot of the animation, coloring, finishing, isn't even done in Japan anymore. Now there is these foreign influences.

However, as everyone has pointed out, anime had become too insular and otaku focused. Anime was now either done for kids shows (Pokemon, Shonen Jump shows) or that otaku junk like moe.

It's very difficult for me to find something anymore that has mature storytelling. I don't want to watch anything based on a dating sim, H-game, card game, or toy.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:18 am Reply with quote
belldandy.99 wrote:
The truth of the matter is that Masaaki YUASA's works have always had a more western appeal, that is undeniable, you just need to check his works, so criticizing him for not pandering to japanese otakus standards at this point is like the guy does not even know YUASA-san.

Maybe that's a factor. It's based on a work by Go Nagai, who is known for being quite critical of America and its media output. Imagine if someone took a mecha anime staple from Go Nagai like Mazinger and turned it into some Pacific Rim rubbish. I could see it being perceieved as an insult.

Kinda like how Aku no Hana was ridiculed for the atrocious art and animation, screwing fans of the manga out of a good adaption. Its one thing if Yuasa's original works are like that, but when he starts taking established cultural icons and doing it, well... cultural appropriation much? Laughing
Ochinchinsama69

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:21 am Reply with quote
That translation seems very halfassed and short cut.
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:29 am Reply with quote
Tried out the first episode because my friend said it was amazing but I honestly couldn't get into it. It was too fast paced and the mc wasn't really likeable or actually he's pretty bland.. All the characters can be described as just that except the rap kids. That whole club scene made me even less interested and now I was disgusted and I love hyper violent anime/live-action shows/movies but this just on a different level. The animation and art was really awesome but I like watching shows that have at least some depth.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:18 am Reply with quote
^Even more than the sex and gore, depth is exactly what Devilman Crybaby has in spades.

I just hope this is immensely successful and Yuasa gets plenty more work.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:10 am Reply with quote
I don't really understand the criticism. Devilman is as Japanese and otaku as you can get. It was the direct influencer of Evangelion. The only thing remotely international about it is it aired on Netflix. It's not exactly the type of show western normies would enjoy to begin with. It'd be seen as too problematic. Seems like a franchise only anime fans could enjoy, like most of Go Nagai's works.

-Stuart Smith
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:26 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
He knows this is based off of Go Nagai's manga, right? Since he's so vague in his criticism, it's hard to tell if he even realizes that much.
But Crybaby is based on it, not adapted it at all. It's pretty much a self-sustained remake of Nagai manga, with pretty much original story in terms of content, except some events.

I haven't read the manga yet, but I did check out the first episode of the Devilman '80s OVA. As far as I can tell, Yuasa didn't add anything specifically "Western" or "International" to the story. He added high school sports, which is in plenty of other anime. He added rapping, which is Western in origin but has been part of J-pop for a while now, and the rapping is not even dubbed over in the dubs! What "Western" element is this critic claiming Yuasa added to the story? Morphing boob monsters were very much in the OVA, Yuasa just portrays them with a different style.
And I don't agree with the claim that Yuasa's style is inherently more Western because it's unique. As someone else pointed out, if it were, his stuff would be more popular and available here (which would be great, because I'd love to see Tatami Galaxy dubbed!)
Unless the critic is talking specifically about spoiler[Miki's dad being Caucasian in Crybaby], he just seems upset that an American company like Netflix commissioned a Japanese anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7