• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: A Place Further Than the Universe

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Shirase's smile after she cut her hair was just hnnnnnnnnnnng my kokoro. AOTS no doubt. It always a special treat when an original anime knocks it out the park like this and I'm definitely buying the bluray when available.

HeeroTX wrote:
I was waiting for the return of Megu-chan, it wasn't until the final seconds, but HELL YEAH that did not disappoint. You're the best Megu-chan, don't ever change!

That really was great way to end it. Megu spinoff when?
MJKS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:55 pm Reply with quote
For me, watching the girls and the science team spend their last days in Antarctica together--and the events immediately thereafter--was as emotional and emotionally effective as Shirase's closure. Bonds of love and friendship were further made; all loose ends were attentively tied up; and exclamation points were placed on the end of inspiring thematic messages (I'm looking at you, Megu). In essence, a perfect closing episode. And overall, as you said Paul, the show is an exemplar of what an unbounded original production can accomplish.

It's way too early, but I'm super-okay calling this a contender for best of the year.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't a bad episode, but I think the anime would have been overall far stronger with just ending with the previous episode (maybe keep this one as a bonus episode or something).
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:40 pm Reply with quote
^^There was no stronger way to end the anime and its message than the way it did for Episode 13. Rolling Eyes Besides, Episode 12 didn’t provide nearly as much closure for everything in the series than Episode 13 did and definitely would not have been the best of ideas to have ended the series last week.

Anyway, damn, back-to-back episodes with feels. I really enjoyed this anime as it has certainly inspired many people who watched it and that right there is just one testament of what anime can do as a medium and part of why I love it so much. All good things must come to an end, however, and while I’ll miss this show, I’ll never forget it and what it set out to accomplish.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:50 pm Reply with quote
AOTS by a wide margin. Possibly AOTY, but there's going to be some stiff competition coming up. Much of it kicking off in not much more than a few weeks from now.

I went into this series not knowing what to expect, and I am glad I gave it a chance. The characterizations have been great, the humor wonderful, and its low-key slice of life sensibility has been heart warming. Any other production would probably have tried to end the series with some kind of dramatic higher-stakes event, like an accident or life-and-death struggle. But this one was confident enough in its characters and writing that it didn't need that; there was more drama and emotional catharsis in Shirase's spoiler[recovery of her mom's laptop] than anything a more dramatic climax could have ever hoped to accomplish, and I am greatly impressed that the crew at Madhouse were able to pull it off. Kudos not only to the production staff, but whoever saw the potential in this story to give it the green light.

I can only think of one other SoL series I liked a little more than this, and that was Shirobako. But its close, dang close. I give this series 10/10, and I do not give 10 scores easily.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Definately my anime of the season. There were two elements which really stood out to me, firstly they encapsulated incredibly well the spirit of adventure of going to such a foriegn place. They did not skip the nervousness or the little things you have to prepare for and portrayed the trepidation against excitement you experience going on a big trip. I have the travel bug so I am a sucker for such content.

Secondly the girls came across as real people rather than anime characters, at least to me. The early episodes endeared the cast very quickly and very well and the characters they portrayed were on point throughout the series and they did not skip the more subtle negative human emotions that everyone has such as the jealous friend and gloating about making it to Antartica.

Thanks to these points I think this series has great rewatch potential. I will be adding this show to my annual Christmas watch list.
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:57 pm Reply with quote
So Megu-chan pulled off an "In your face!" all of her own. Nice one!

So, brilliant anime, original with great characters and themes, and as the reviewer said, one you can recommend to just about anyone.
MJKS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:17 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Wasn't a bad episode, but I think the anime would have been overall far stronger with just ending with the previous episode (maybe keep this one as a bonus episode or something).

You don't stop a car by driving into a wall though.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:18 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
That really was great way to end it. Megu spinoff when?

I really appreciate that Megu LITERALLY went to the opposite end of the world from Kimari.
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, we have are first contender for Best Anime of 2018. I think the biggest surprise is how well the show does comedy. Or at least how well it blends comedy and drama. And everything else. There are shows that made me cry, and shows that made me laugh, but precious few have left me doing both at once.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:49 am Reply with quote
I prefer Yuru Camp over Sora Yori but both shows are great and fantastic. Sora Yori was comfy yet dramatic while Yuru Camp was full on being funny and comfy.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:41 am Reply with quote
Definitely one of the positive surprises of this season! I was especially pleased that - while i enjoy CGDCT from time to time - it turned out less cutesy and more realistic and had a nice balance of comedy and drama.
Flü

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:47 am Reply with quote
Easily my AOTS,
Great humor&characters and the emotional depth put it ahead of your usual "cute girls doing stuff"-series. Also very grounded, authentic and educational in regards to its premise (the episode with the "lost" passport especially should be super relatable xD), which is also great!

And yeah... I might have cried 2-3 times while watching this. Which really isn't a common occurrence for me with anime these days.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:13 am Reply with quote
Hate to see these girls go. I've loved every one of them and would love to see them in a different setting, say, the Sahara, (yeah, I know, from one extreme to another). Truly, an anime that had everything I love about the medium; wonderful characters, a well written comedy/drama and breathtaking artwork. I'll remember this series for a long time.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:20 am Reply with quote
All of those who have given it such positive accolades have left me with nothing new to say other than to repeat that I loved the hell out of this title. Damn, I'm gonna miss these gals. Winter 2018 has been an unusually strong season for me and this title was absolutely one of the reasons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13