• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: A Place Further Than the Universe

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:47 am Reply with quote
I have an issue with the series right now: MAL says it is a 13 episode show and we are 7 episodes in. Is 6 episodes enough for everything that needs to happen in Antarctica without rushing like hell? I can't see how they can fit the appropriate drama, including with the crew/supplies troubles, and Shirase's mother, into 6 episodes.

But then again YoriMoi has constantly exceeded my expections.
nechronius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Just a PSA for inexperienced mariners... If you're on a boat in stormy seas,

1. Do not go on deck. This is a great way to get yourself tossed overboard, never to be seen again. As depicted in the anime, the actions border on suicidal. "It's pitch black!" she says. How long do you think they'd go missing before anybody went to go look for them?

2. Do not leave the hatch open behind you. You want to risk sinking the ship? Because this is how you potentially sink the ship.

I was actually disappointed that they chose to depict such a catastrophically bad choice of actions. I really enjoy this series, but this... Holy hell.
MJKS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:18 am Reply with quote
That was a dramatic low-blow, giving a last line to Takako.
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:18 am Reply with quote
All aboard the feels train.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I find it amusing the one male character in the entire series so far that gets some focus ended up mostly in some romantic escapade plot. The flashback with Shirase and Gin was great. Gin would make a great surrogate dad for her! Surprised
Crext

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:48 pm Reply with quote
IN YOUR FACE!
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:16 pm Reply with quote
ZAMA-MIROOOO!!!
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:50 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I find it amusing the one male character in the entire series so far that gets some focus ended up mostly in some romantic escapade plot. The flashback with Shirase and Gin was great. Gin would make a great surrogate dad for her! Surprised

Maybe I've seen too much yuri but I was wondering if there was something between Gin and Shirase's mother...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Another great episode but I am SO PISSED that CR didn't translate the telephone text messages at the end? Can any nice person out there do CR's job for them?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:40 pm Reply with quote
^which messages are you referring to? I watched on CR's web player and didn't noticed any untranslated texts that I can recall.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:52 pm Reply with quote
They were there, in the upper left of the screen.
I missed them initially also.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh, ffs... now CR is acting up and I can't even access it to recheck that scene.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:04 pm Reply with quote
^As you can see here they are translated at the upper left as Gewürtztraminer said (screenshot at 21:57)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm in the minority here, but I've come to realize that I would like this show a whole lot more if it were more like Space Brothers, focusing on grown-ups making a return expedition to Antarctica. The girls are each charming in their own ways, but I can't help but resent them for taking up time from aspects of this adventure I'm far more interested in, just so we can hang out with them being kinda stupid (it doesn't help me that they behave more like middle school girls than high school). If the story were about these girls doing some character building thing in the city, I'd probably like it fine.

I'm not even suggesting that they should've changed anything about the series. I've taken too many reviewers to task for faulting a series for not being the series they would rather be watching. Had they done what I've described, it would simply be a different series, rather than a necessarily improved one. I'm just saying that while there's nothing wrong with this series as it is, I wish the series I've realized I wanted existed so I could watch that instead. Smile
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I know I'm in the minority here, but I've come to realize that I would like this show a whole lot more if it were more like Space Brothers, focusing on grown-ups making a return expedition to Antarctica. The girls are each charming in their own ways, but I can't help but resent them for taking up time from aspects of this adventure I'm far more interested in, just so we can hang out with them being kinda stupid (it doesn't help me that they behave more like middle school girls than high school). If the story were about these girls doing some character building thing in the city, I'd probably like it fine.

I'm not even suggesting that they should've changed anything about the series. I've taken too many reviewers to task for faulting a series for not being the series they would rather be watching. Had they done what I've described, it would simply be a different series, rather than a necessarily improved one. I'm just saying that while there's nothing wrong with this series as it is, I wish the series I've realized I wanted existed so I could watch that instead. Smile

Not sure if we're on the same page, but I'm also a bit disappointed by the direction the show is going. This is the episode were they finally arrive in Antartica, they've reached there goal! And yet... we spend most of it on vague friendship speech, which absolutely does not in anyway take advantages of the fact that they're in Antartica... It's well done and all, but I feel like there missing the point of there own show.

My favorite episodes of the show were easily the first 3 (probably 2 being my favorite) so I do enjoy the girl antics. But It feel like I'm getting the worse version of both show (one were the girls would stay in Japan and one were adults would go to Antartica).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 13