• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Flip Flappers English Dub Cast, Preview Clip Revealed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I like the work of the VA's for Cocona and Papika, but doesn't Sentai have more than 5 voice actors working for them? Don't get me wrong, I am interested in rewatching Flip Flappers with this dub, but more variety of actors in Sentai dubs would be nice.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I like the work of the VA's for Cocona and Papika, but doesn't Sentai have more than 5 voice actors working for them? Don't get me wrong, I am interested in rewatching Flip Flappers with this dub, but more variety of actors in Sentai dubs would be nice.

Funimation uses the same "5" voice actors as well. All companies have a limited number of voice actors that get reused for every show they pick up.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Funimation uses the same "5" voice actors as well. All companies have a limited number of voice actors that get reused for every show they pick up.

That might have been kind of true 5 years ago, but they have significantly added new talent, especially since they started doing broadcast dubs.
Diorgenson4321

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Decent cast. Likely will rewatch the show.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:35 pm Reply with quote
With an English dub (hopefully solid throughout) and a sleek limited edition, I hope this gives Flip Flappers a second wind of being more noticed.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I stopped watching this after 3 episodes, so I will give it another shot with the dub.
Silent_Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Not going to rewatch this beautiful mess anytime soon: pretty visuals dragged down by sloppy writing. I know it's been a while since I've finished watching it as I don't remember every single detail, but I remember really enjoying the first few episodes with the episodic Alice-in-Wonderland-esque adventures and then turning into a trainwreck imo with the spoiler[ Cocona's mother over-arching plot] for the rest of the episodes. The horribly sounding English dub clip has confirmed my decision. Twisted Evil
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

This usually happens when John Swasey directs a dubbing project now days he naturally goes to actors that he's worked with countless times in the past. He just started directing again after a two to three year absence from the medium. Because of that he's most likely not aware of some of the new promising voice talent that Kyle Jones has been bringing in over the last three years now. John has co directed a few recent dubs with Kyle but it doesn't seem like Kyle's casting habits have rubbed off on John so far. I do prefer Kyle as a director between the two at the moment purely because he's actually made an effort to bring back veteran actors like Justin Doran into the fray and tries to keep new blood in mind when casting his projects. Kyle's directing/casting presence right now is the only real positive highlight for Houston dubbing for me personally.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, I like Luci Christian and Brittney Karbowski, so this is nothing but good news to me. I already had the special edition preordered, and now I might actually turn on the English dub once in a while.
movie_buff36

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Already preordered the bluray from Amazon. Can't wait..
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:26 pm Reply with quote
About dang time this got dubbed! FF was a great show and deserves some love. However, much as I adore Brittany, I think her voice is a little off for Papika. Luci and Ms Duran are great fits IMO. Now if only we can avoid the lesbian question (looking at GLT)...
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:27 am Reply with quote
If we are to apply nepotism or a recording/film studio using the same talent over and over, that practice has been going only since the creation of film (October 1888-12/31/1900).
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:09 am Reply with quote
I may have to watch a bit more, but I don't think I would be able to watch the dub. The voicing for Papika is off, and considering she is one of the mains it may drag it down

Edit: side note: its taken them this long to do a dub?!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:00 am Reply with quote
As obtuse as it tended to be concerning its plot points, Flip Flappers was certainly an arresting half-series with bountiful symbolism for those who like such things. (The second half unravelled itself to be much of a damp squib, but this has become common knowledge by now.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 am Reply with quote
For all the complaints about Sentai reusing the same voice artists, when was the last time we've heard Tiffany Grant in a dub? She doesn't seem to do voice acting much these days so I'm glad to see her in a dub again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2