• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Violet Evergarden

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:24 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
so if Violet is now an expert Doll but still doesn't understand Love, doesn't that means her entire quest is a failure?.

There was a time-skip and her quest was to understand love and to do so, she decided to first become a Doll cause it would put her closer to the source so to speak. Calling it a failure when she's still 14 and is still only now starting is hum... yeah, you can see where i'm getting at. Kid still has her whole life to not fail in her "quest" as you put it.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:45 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
meiam wrote:
so if Violet is now an expert Doll but still doesn't understand Love, doesn't that means her entire quest is a failure?.

There was a time-skip and her quest was to understand love and to do so, she decided to first become a Doll cause it would put her closer to the source so to speak. Calling it a failure when she's still 14 and is still only now starting is hum... yeah, you can see where i'm getting at. Kid still has her whole life to not fail in her "quest" as you put it.

She's being swimming in the source for however long the time skip was and that apparently lead to 0 progress, not a great strategy (I know there will eventually be progress trough the magic of editing, just like last week Violet couldn't write a letter and now she's expert level, so much easier to do development when you don't have to show the development).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Interesting divergence on the best/worst episode yet question. I fall somewhere in the middle, I think. I love everything this show does, but I didn't find the story in this episode as compelling as in some of the others. I was surprised Violet was only 14, too.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Was that a mistake or is there a particular reason why they romanized ディートフリート as "Diethard" instead of "Dietfried"?
12skippy21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
This episode was decent. The show struggles to hit the right tone for me but going into her darker past should be interesting. Fortunately I did not go into the show with the same high expectations so I do find Violet to be delightfully pleasant.

Although, 14, really? When she said that I accidently shouted 'no [expletive] way'. Good job no one was nearby.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:06 am Reply with quote
Violet is a lot easier to tolerate when her lack of emotions/understanding isn't directly affecting/harming others (like it was last episode). I thought the princess and the prince writing genuine letters to each other and the town becoming so invested in reading them was really cute.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
last week Violet couldn't write a letter and now she's expert level, so much easier to do development when you don't have to show the development).

I had similar feelings during this episode. We couldn't see even one episode where Violet learns some useful things about life and love that improved her work as a Doll? Her sudden rise to expert letter-writer is at best, unexpected, and at worst, unexplained.

I'm guessing she spent a lot of time reading Cattelya's letters as examples. Her comment about recognizing the style of the Prince's Doll suggests that. Still we're left to fill in a lot of "connective tissue" in this episode. Is this likely to be the style of story-telling in the weeks ahead? If so, I'll be disappointed.

I also thought it was pretty silly that Violet didn't attend the wedding. From a purely professional point-of-view it would have given her the opportunity to learn more about how people think and behave and maybe recruit a few wealthy clients along the way. (Claudia could hardly be opposed to that.) Charlotte clearly wished Violet could have been there (to see the dress if nothing else). Why the princess didn't pull strings to make that happen escapes me.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Princess: I love him.
Prince: I love her.
Violet: I would like to be of assistance.
Princess: I LOVE YOU, PRINCE.
Prince: I LOVE YOU, PRINCESS.
Whole town: I SHIP IT!!!!!!
Violet: I am glad I was able to be of assistance. Anime smile

Best episode ever.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:03 pm Reply with quote
^This post - Laughing

Ugh, the age differences highlighted in this episode really bother me. I suppose it's just a reflection of different cultures, but still.......
...And Violet is only fourteen herself? Whaaaaaaaat??

Alright, that aside, I definitely think this episode was stronger than the last three. There was a sense of genuine tenderness and emotion that prior episodes lacked, and yes, Violet works much better as a supporting character. I do think it's questionable how much she's improved since last episode (with little indication as to how or why for the audience), but I think this is where prior episodes were intended to get her, anyway, so... It balances out, I guess? The episode doesn't mesh well with the rest, but it stands on its own very well.
I do hope this episode sets the standard for the rest of the show here on out
...And that end hook has me extra enticed.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:15 am Reply with quote
I guess I didn't really get why they even needed Dolls in the first place. They're both royalty, and as we later learned they can both read and write perfectly well. If it was a matter of getting eloquent writers for public consumption without regard to how they actually felt, Cattelya and Violet could've just stayed home and written their letters together and sent them off by proxy. Smile

I also thought it was odd that the Princess wouldn't be allowed to take her lady-in-waiting along with her. Since she "belongs" to the castle and not the Princess (i.e., it's not just a job she can quit and seek employment elsewhere, say, at the Prince's castle), just make her a gift if that's how they roll.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I take delight in that my post amused you. Gurren. Anime hyper

The age difference didn't make me bat an eye. I'm pretty sure this world takes place waaaaaaaaaaaay back during a time others didn't think about it either. And royal marriages especially didn't prioritize "details" like that; it was all about "what's best for this country" and all that.

Afterall, the real world here went through such a time. I think the anime is just reflecting on it. Not saying we should be PROUD of that.....but we need to acknowledge that "it happened". lol

(I really had Violet pegged as 16-17 though)
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
And royal marriages especially didn't prioritize "details" like that; it was all about "what's best for this country" and all that.

I've been watching The Tudors where such a betrothal appears in the first season. Holy Roman Emperor Charles V is engaged to be married to Henry VIII's daughter, Princess Mary. Mary is about six at the time, while Charles is an adult man of twenty-two. Charles later abandons the match and marries his first-cousin, Isabella of Portugal.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
o____O

.....g......good decision.....Charles....

six.........? oh man, I am so disturbed right now. Shocked
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
One hopes King Chuck didn't ditch Mary because he thought she was over the hill...
Zzshcl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:10 pm Reply with quote
How is possible that the main character is not appealing at all?

I mean, the secondary character like this Leon guy or the princess are way more interesting than this boring girl that does nothing

Funny fact, without violet the show would be way better
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 14