• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Both Negima TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Since Sentai has UQ Holder it makes sense to license other shows related to that franchise. And I am guessing Sentai plans to dub UQ Holder.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Both these shows can rot in hell as they are absolutely terrible. The manga is one of the best shounen battle manga ever made and Jack Rakan VS Negi is one of the most epic battles ever. These two series are bad.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:34 pm Reply with quote
^ DmonHiro is correct. These anime are a waste of anyone's time.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:35 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Both these shows can rot in hell as they are absolutely terrible. The manga is one of the best shounen battle manga ever made and Jack Rakan VS Negi is one of the most epic battles ever. These two series are bad.

Agreed. Kinda ironic the upbringing of the manga,only for those people to get their way in the end with the anime.

I wasn’t even aware that Funimation lost their license to the show.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Both these shows can rot in hell as they are absolutely terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKPzKm3JdD8

All joking aside, I had no idea FUNimation lost the rights to both series. Wonder how that happened...
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quote
They also just announced sword of oratoria dub
Araragifeels

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:56 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

I don't think that anyone are willing to make a perfect adaption. I saw the first few episode of IQ Holder, and I gave up because I saw how rush it was trying to catch up with manga current arc.
consignia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Negima?! is the only incarnation of the entire franchise that is worth anyone's time. That's a scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is a scientific fact.
lycopene

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:

All joking aside, I had no idea FUNimation lost the rights to both series. Wonder how that happened...

didn't renew the licence due to poor sales would be the most logical reason
Zendervai

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:06 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
Negima?! is the only incarnation of the entire franchise that is worth anyone's time. That's a scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is a scientific fact.

I concur. It's objectively an absolutely awful adaptation, but as a standalone, it's not that bad.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Gotta do something to get people's attention since they got left over scraps for the winter 2018 season.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:28 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:

The OADs bundled with the Japanese special editions of the manga weren't bad either, but then all that momentum went out the window with how terrible the movie was. The Akamatsu curse lives on.
Stevangelion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Without any dick measuring debates about this topic but does this mean new dubs? Like a re-dub?
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Stevangelion wrote:
Without any dick measuring debates about this topic but does this mean new dubs? Like a re-dub?

Unlikely to get a whole new dub but I know a dub exists for at least the first series so sentai will likely include any preexisting dubs in their release like they did with Zero No Tsukaima. Season 1 had a dub while seasons 2-4 were released sub only.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:00 pm Reply with quote
lycopene wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:

didn't renew the licence due to poor sales would be the most logical reason

I had assumed that that's what happened as soon as I saw this article. It's pretty rare for an anime company to lose a license. It's been happening a lot more in recent years due to what Aniplex Japan has been up to, but AFAIK, historically, it hasn't been a common event at all. So, it's a lot more likely that Funimation didn't renew the license than they got it taken from them.

Of course, that then makes it really weird for Sentai to pick it up, which was my first thought when I saw the article. But maybe they got it cheap enough that they thought that they could leverage UQ Holder to sell the older stuff well enough to make their money back. Or maybe they were required to pick up the older stuff when they licensed UQ Holder. It's not uncommon for series to be bundled together for licensing (I'm not sure that it's particularly common for older series to be bundled in with a newer one, but I could see the Japanese licensor wanting the old stuff to be available along with the new).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3