• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Inside The Manga Industry with Felipe Smith, American Mangaka

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaze-Ouji

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I take great interest in Westerners publishing manga, and of course Felippe Smith was first on the list. I was disappointed with how he disappeared for 10 years. The interview has mysteriously disappeared from the internet, but I would like to point out that upon returning to work on Ghost Rider, Mr. Smith said that he disliked manga as it was an industry that nearly destroyed him, so to be quite honest, I'm not sure why this bitter loser is still even considered a go-to about anything regarding manga. Please bring the interview up with Mr. Smith and confirm.
HikariGo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:56 am Reply with quote
Kaze-Ouji wrote:
I'm not sure why this bitter loser is still even considered a go-to about anything regarding manga. Please bring the interview up with Mr. Smith and confirm.

He was a foreigner who actually worked for a number of years as a published mangaka and also seemingly an assistant in the Japanese manga industry. Doesn't matter if he became disillusioned and bitter upon returning to the US (if what you say is factual), he has clearly on some level come to terms with this now and it doesn't change his experiences and valuable insights.
Savion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:49 am Reply with quote
Kaze-Ouji wrote:
Mr. Smith said that he disliked manga as it was an industry that nearly destroyed him, so to be quite honest, I'm not sure why this bitter loser is still even considered a go-to about anything regarding manga.

Calling him a "bitter loser" seems out of line. Many japanese mangakas talk about how strenuous the industry is and it should be well known that the weekly pace of mangas takes a toll on people physically mentally and emotionally. I don't know the interview you're referencing but someone he has every right to talk about the issues and aches with an industry he worked in, they're just as valid as any other author or artist.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Kaze-Ouji wrote:
I'm not sure why this bitter loser is still even considered a go-to about anything regarding manga.

While I'm rather disappointed with Felipe, it's sure not over why he left the manga industry, but doing manga as a whole. Also, while I do agree with sentiments that ANN does show signs of slanting towards particular bias, I think that it was good that they brought him on for an interview. Also don't call Felipe a bitter loser.

One of the big reasons why I'm such a mouthy wall of text spewing self important nobody here is because as a working artist myself who aspires to make manga, it's important to know what influence and impact what you love has in your part of the world. I can't stress that enough. Denying that essentially means that you don't know what's going on, and as soon as you lose yourself out of the loop, you're out of context and in the losing position. Well until you get yourself back in, at least....

Quote:
Calling him a "bitter loser" seems out of line. Many japanese mangakas talk about how strenuous the industry is and it should be well known that the weekly pace of mangas takes a toll on people physically mentally and emotionally. I don't know the interview you're referencing but someone he has every right to talk about the issues and aches with an industry he worked in, they're just as valid as any other author or artist.

As an artist and businessman myself, if Felipe had his chops down, he could have established the first true blue manga specialized content producers here in the States. Most importantly, it's not going to take directly what it takes what it takes in Japan. It's no different than sushi here in the States.

I may at times seem that I live in lala land, but I've seen and known a thing or two about what really moves the world. Felipe, if you're reading this, learn up and develop yourself spiritually if you still have that drive. Open your world and mind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2