• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Maerchen Maedchen

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I hate/love that Hazuki can rewrite Cinderella's story. I hate it because it is a big Deus Ex Machina, like the magic she creates to save Yumelia, so who knows what else she can do. But I love it for the meaning behind it and it fits perfectly with her and how she has developed throughout these episodes.

Also, I guess they delayed the actual opening to not show Hazuki's transformation. So, why not wait for one more episode, you know, AFTER the episode in which she finally transforms.

And yeah, the visuals have been pretty bad this week.
Showsni

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's not just the questionable Puss in Boots costume, which appears to be missing a swathe of fabric, the midsection,

To be fair, isn't the story of Puss in Boots about someone whose clothes were hidden and had to make do with borrowing them from other people? Smile
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:12 am Reply with quote
Laughing That does happen in the story, yes. It's more about how a clever cat helps his less-than-clever owner go from "miller's third son" to "princess-marrying wealthy nobleman." Of course, since the cat in question only wears boots, I suppose I should be glad she got any clothes! Very Happy
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:38 am Reply with quote
The Russian Team's attempts at sabotaging were so adorkable that i actually want them to win now...but i hope we'll be finding out more about the true villains soon.
Florete

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hazuki's “I got to nap next to my crush, so no harm done” answer. (Although they are adorable together and I'm all for true love.)

This is all I care about in this show tbh.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:50 am Reply with quote
Can we all agree now that the Russians are the most adorable team? Very Happy

It was also nice to see Sadohara who's magic seems to be one of the weakest actually being a strong martial artist.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca wrote:
Quote:
It's a distinctly ugly episode, and coupled with the fluff surrounding the plot points, it makes me think, "We waited two weeks for this?"

Same. This was definitely the ugliest episode so far. It almost looked like something straight out of Pop Team Epic at times, just less funny...and did we really need another new character?
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, I was slightly disappointed over waiting two weeks for what happened in Episode 9 and I usually don’t feel that way. (I apologize to those who feel otherwise) Not sure how the rest of the run will turn out, but it’s not looking particularly swell so far.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this show is just like the new character they introduced near the end of the episode, as they both should have taken more time to recover if they could have. Something was definitely off with the animation. One scene I remember had the shorter purple haired member of the Japanese team looking like she only came up to the other girls waists in one shot but reverted to her normal size afterwards, and there were a number of scenes where the proportions of different body parts were off. It is a truly unfortunate turn of events.
kryten2x4p

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
Quote:
It's a distinctly ugly episode, and coupled with the fluff surrounding the plot points, it makes me think, "We waited two weeks for this?"

Same. This was definitely the ugliest episode so far. It almost looked like something straight out of Pop Team Epic at times, just less funny...and did we really need another new character?

Wow! I too got this confused with an episode of Pop Team Epic! Guess great minds think alike!
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Kevin Cirugeda mentioned that viewers shouldn't be surprised at a massive dip in animation quality because Kevin has been told that the production has major issues. It also appears that Kevin is being threatened with blacklisting if they publish the story, but Kevin does not think that their blacklist would be a severe punishment.
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
The artwork was getting really inconsistent before the break but this episode was truly atrocious, between the 13-14 minute mark was the most abysmal part for me. Honestly speaking though, I can only remember a couple of frames in the entire episode where the characters were actually on model.

The preview for next week seems to indicate things will get back on track, so fingers crossed but I've got a nasty feeling this shows going to go out like a sparkler. Anyone remember Chaos Dragon because I sure don't want to go through that again. Anime cry
Crext

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9, hahaha. Omg, it was so bad it was funny at times, I guess the deadline slammed into them on that one!
NormanS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Now that it's "over". I liked it for what it was trying to do. And im glad the series did not end at episode 9 cause that'd be a sad way to end the series.

Thank you for doing the weekly reviews!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The subject of the American Origins is touched upon this week as well, which is still a sticking point for me. Hazuki is told that America is “too young” to have its own original stories,

I do largely agree with this. At least in the sense of having stories that arise from a true national identity. And the Americas are truly lacking in what could be considered as a true "National Epic."
In the U.S. there is fabricated folklore like Paul Bunyan, John Henry, or Johnny Appleseed but no story that tells of a true national identity. No Oddyssey, Beowulf, Journey to the West, etc.
Perhaps if the country hadn't disowned Native American history and had instead integrated into a true national history the country could be thought of as something older and grander. But it's true, the Americas are young, the history is borrowed, highly altered or abandoned.

But I get ahead of myself...

I was curious where the show ended up so I read the review. Didn't actually watch it. I started watching the episode after Hazuki,s Cinderella powers were shown and she and Shizuka declared their friendship and realized I had just seen all I cared about and din't need to see some silly tourney battles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3