• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Death March to The Parallel World Rhapsody

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambulator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I had some hope for something interesting happening when he touched the stone, but nope. Dropped.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Since I have reviewed and generally enjoyed a fair number of other isekai series (hell, I'm reviewing one this season!), I had considered volunteering for this one despite my negative reaction to its first episode. After seeing episode 2, I'm glad I didn't.

Above all else, what's been presented so far is boring. It just doesn't have the spark to it that the better isekai series from the past couple of years (Overlord, Saga of Tanya the Evil, Konosuba, Re:Zero) have had; hell, it's not even on the level of Knights and Magic. I don't consider that one to be a good isekai series, but at least it had a more dynamic protagonist, a clearer direction, and the sense to push its story along more rapidly.

I sometimes think that some of the problem is that too many isekai series are trying to take cues from SAO (which I think could fairly be classified as an isekai series) but are forgetting that a big part of the reason why that series was a hit was that it had a powerhouse premise which went well beyond just being an isekai series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
While I wouldn't say that it was all that good, I don't know that this show would lend itself to hatewatching. The composition was less than desirable, and it is definitely hitting the slow part at least of the term slow burn, as it had been referred to by fans of the source. But it isn't really standard setting in its wish fulfillment like Smartphone, and it hasn't been bad in new and/or shocking ways like a King's Game, or many of the past Chaos Dragons. If you find it boring and going over well trodded territory, I don't really see the point of bothering to hatewatch it or have someone else do it for you. I don't see much value in a review that would boil down to "Still meh LN wish fulfillment. Still don't like that kind of show". Hopefully it picks up before the end of the season, for everyone's sake.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:05 pm Reply with quote
As someone who has read the web novels, I can say right now that if you are looking for something exciting or edgy then you are going to hate this show. It say right in the web novel's description that although they occasionally fight some bad guys it's meant to be a heartwarming and relaxing story.

The main character is almost always chill and there are only a couple times in the web novels where he is actually forced to get serious (And we won't be seeing those this season). It's literally him and his loli harem traveling around the world, with half their time spent inventing day to day items like cards to help the girls learn to read, or new dishes to eat. The other half of the time they destroy some demon lords and defeat undead invasions but again, we won't be seeing that this season.

Just giving anyone not familiar with the story a heads up so you don't have any inflated expectations. I read this series to chill out after reading some of the darker novels out there like dungeon seeker (which is ironically also getting an anime I believe).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote
btw, I'm curious as to how this show got picked to be reviewed considering how none of the reviewers wanted to do it. I really hope it didn't get picked over Killing Bites, I just want to read the reviews for that for all the honey badger jokes that would inevitably make their way in heh.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Am I going blind (yes) or is this series oddly out of focus? It seems like the only sharp lines are in the center of the image, with everything else looking like it's been shot through a vaselined screen set up to mask an aging diva's wrinkles.

Assuming this is really the case, is it supposed to indicate that we're looking at his face through his heads-up display? oO After that occurred to me, I didn't feel like going back to check. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed this.

Chrono1000 wrote:
This show is a male power fantasy but I have never understood why people consider that to be a problem.

For the same reason the term "Mary Sue" was coined. Ego trips are boring when it's not your ego being stroked.
shadowmaksim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Might as well join in. Hopefully I don't come off as being too obnoxious here.

To start, I do have experience with the series. While I haven't touched the LN, I have been reading the manga adaptation and have been enjoying it well enough. It's a very slow burn starting out, took like a good 6-7 chapters before I started getting remotely into it. Still not great but an enjoyably laid back experience.

As for this opinion article, I largely disagree with how it was operated. Way too many jumping to conclusions, hand-waving, sweeping generalizations, etc. If this series was picked up for the sole purpose of hate-reviewing it and just given to someone who doesn't want to do it, then I second the notion that it just shouldn't be reviewed at all then. At that point, no one is having fun...outside of those that generally love to hate on stuff.

But, with that out of the way, I do agree that this has been a rather poor showing so far. Even taking into account the slow burn nature, there's no getting around the issues. Even worse, as someone not going in blind, there are some odd changes and omissions I've noticed. Not to mention the animation in general is just lackluster. I gave the first episode the benefit of the doubt regarding the animation but there's no excuse for this second episode. Overall, kind of disappointing.

And finally, being 12 episodes, unless they go around skipping entire events, I doubt it'll get to any of the more interesting stuff. Most of the run might end up being in this slow burn beginning and that just sucks to think about.

Quote:
It just doesn't have the spark to it that the better isekai series from the past couple of years (Overlord, Saga of Tanya the Evil, Konosuba, Re:Zero)

I think this is the fundamental issue here. "Death March" isn't remotely like those series nor does it seem like it's aiming to be, as far as the manga has been anyway. While it does have some action here and there, it's not really action-orientated nor focused on being deep or complex. If anything it's closer to something like "Konosuba" due to primarily focusing on Slice-of-Life antics, though not in a comically satirical way.

At least for me, most of what I liked from the manga was Satou's interactactions with his mish-mesh of a family. Yes, I'm using that term.
Stuff like spoiler[getting educational tools and teaching the children, going day-to-day learning survival activities and cooking while traveling, learning more about the world and how it operates, testing the boundaries of his abilities, etc.]

So if you were expecting something exciting, this series definitely won't be for you. Even more so given how the adaptation has been getting handled so far.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
I miss the days of Re:Zero, Konosuba, and Youjo Senki.

I miss the days of The Twelve Kingdoms and Escaflowne.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

I miss the days of The Pagemaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

I miss the day when I thought 3 Ninjas was the best movie ever (I think I was like 7 when I first saw it).
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:37 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
As someone who has read the web novels, I can say right now that if you are looking for something exciting or edgy then you are going to hate this show. It say right in the web novel's description that although they occasionally fight some bad guys it's meant to be a heartwarming and relaxing story.

The main character is almost always chill and there are only a couple times in the web novels where he is actually forced to get serious (And we won't be seeing those this season). It's literally him and his loli harem traveling around the world, with half their time spent inventing day to day items like cards to help the girls learn to read, or new dishes to eat. The other half of the time they destroy some demon lords and defeat undead invasions but again, we won't be seeing that this season.

Just giving anyone not familiar with the story a heads up so you don't have any inflated expectations. I read this series to chill out after reading some of the darker novels out there like dungeon seeker (which is ironically also getting an anime I believe).

This is quite helpful, actually, as it makes clear that I'm unlikely to ever enjoy the series. The casually-travelling-around scenario (which the OP does give some hint about) can work but I just don't see that happening here.

#844391 wrote:
btw, I'm curious as to how this show got picked to be reviewed considering how none of the reviewers wanted to do it. I really hope it didn't get picked over Killing Bites,

It got voted in because either it was popular enough or people wanted to hatewatch it or both.

And I am covering Killing Bites, BTW.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:42 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

I miss the day when I thought 3 Ninjas was the best movie ever (I think I was like 7 when I first saw it).

Those were the days.
Locateli

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:11 pm Reply with quote
This review is a complete garbage! James Beckett should be ashamed to write so much shit! It is better not to have a review than create one just to spread superfluous hate.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:14 pm Reply with quote
^Pot calling the kettle black considering you made an account just to write that.^

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if that post was supposed to be sarcastic, it's really weird when you can't tell.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 18