• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Death March to The Parallel World Rhapsody

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Okay problems I have had so far with the adaptation. Lack of translation of the pop ups, and possibles mistranslated dialogue spoiler[When he says he detected a magical being in the city, in the book and manga it said demon] These problems cause small details to be missed that foreshadow later events. Also the scene and explanation from the main character getting his data read skipped a important detail.

Details from the books have been changed just enough to annoy me. As well as alter character interpretation.

Problem with the review, misrepresentation of events in story to paint it in a bad light. The character faced with two hostile armed people demanding identification. Talked his way out of a fight with a plausible lie.
Skyletv

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:36 am Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Skyletv wrote:
I would like reviews to be done by people who enjoy the kind of show they are watching or at least are neutral towards it. It's as if this guy is tired of the Isekai and doesn't watch them for fun but always expecting a masterpiece. :/ ... Anyway, the show has its flaws but it's been fun so far.

So normally we make every effort to do this. With rare exception (stuff like Hand Shakers or King's Game where it seems like there's no sincere audience for the show but they follow it anyway out of morbid curiosity), we always assign shows to people who genuinely enjoy them or are at least optimistic.

Unfortunately, none of our reviewers felt positively about Death March, so the chips just had to fall where they may. I'm sure James will give credit where it's due if the show improves or changes things up at all, but it sure hasn't yet.

Are you telling me he's doing it almost as an obligation? Well, that sucks even more. Laughing
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:02 am Reply with quote
Considering that Josh Grelle is often typecast as harem protagonists, I will be surprised if he doesn't get cast as this harem protagonist.
MsVitchDa2nd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:22 am Reply with quote
Skyletv wrote:
I would like reviews to be done by people who enjoy the kind of show they are watching or at least are neutral towards it. It's as if this guy is tired of the Isekai and doesn't watch them for fun but always expecting a masterpiece. :/ ... Anyway, the show has its flaws but it's been fun so far.

I know right, they keep assigning people who are highly critical and those who looks for something "New" but immediately trashes a show for having the same concept.
it's obvious that they hate harem, isekai shows
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:55 am Reply with quote
Dropping this show after ep 2. It's dull, also too much of power fantasy which is typical LN isekai series, and worst at all not entertaining. Remember vaguely reading the manga years ago and dropping it for some reason, after seeing those two eps, now I know why. Also can't stand the MC voice.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:40 am Reply with quote
MsVitchDa2nd wrote:
Skyletv wrote:

I know right, they keep assigning people who are highly critical and those who looks for something "New" but immediately trashes a show for having the same concept.

Go to Google (or your preferred alternative search engine), enter "Death March to The Parallel World Rhapsody episode review" & find one more to your tastes. Or, failing that, write your own. You could even write it in this very thread. ANN do these things because it's what readers want* & on the shows they voted for. Guaranteeing each review is handled by someone on staff who's both knowledgeable of & predisposed to liking each show is not on the cards - nor should it be expected.

*Personally I don't really "get" simulcast episode reviews as a concept, but plenty of people like them so what do I know?
cfalcon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:23 am Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Skyletv wrote:

So normally we make every effort to do this. With rare exception (stuff like Hand Shakers or King's Game where it seems like there's no sincere audience for the show but they follow it anyway out of morbid curiosity), we always assign shows to people who genuinely enjoy them or are at least optimistic.

Unfortunately, none of our reviewers felt positively about Death March, so the chips just had to fall where they may. I'm sure James will give credit where it's due if the show improves or changes things up at all, but it sure hasn't yet.

I'll preface this by saying that I enjoy ANN's daily streaming reviews as they often provide insightful critiques that are scarce elsewhere.

But I suppose Nick's review schedule was already full? He gave the first episode a 2.5 in the preview guide, while James gave it a 1 and started with this disclaimer: "I've never been a fan of the isekai genre of light novels and anime, save for some rare exceptions ..." I could see how Nick still might not view the show favorably, but at least his initial impression seemed less negative.
Skyletv

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:18 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
MsVitchDa2nd wrote:
Skyletv wrote:

Go to Google (or your preferred alternative search engine), enter "Death March to The Parallel World Rhapsody episode review" & find one more to your tastes. Or, failing that, write your own. You could even write it in this very thread. ANN do these things because it's what readers want* & on the shows they voted for. Guaranteeing each review is handled by someone on staff who's both knowledgeable of & predisposed to liking each show is not on the cards - nor should it be expected.

*Personally I don't really "get" simulcast episode reviews as a concept, but plenty of people like them so what do I know?

I know, and I couldn't care less about ANN reviews but come on, nobody wanted to do reviews of this show and instead of just not doing it, they give it to someone who has clearly said he doesn't like isekai. In the end, it is a situation in which neither the reviewer nor the reader benefits.
NonsenseUser

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:24 am Reply with quote
For my money, the show would've been better served skipping the whole isekai thing and just focused on this guy's life as a programmer. But, as a programmer myself I might be a little biased here Smile. In all seriousness, those first 10 minutes of his work life was really the only thing I enjoyed due to how relatable it was. Once MC found himself in his new world, the biggest issue to me was simply how boring it all was. I'll be dropping this one, which is a shame because I really wanted to like it.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:55 pm Reply with quote
#872829 wrote:
why put James, a person that doesnt like Isekai one bit, reviewing a show that outwardly and proudly admits that its a Isekai/Harem (this by genre and/or description of the source material)

these shows should be rewieved by people that either enjoy them, but can differentiate good from bad, or people neutral to it

Why would that make a difference? Even among isekai fans, Deathmarch is considered trash. About the best that can be said of it is, "At least it's not Smartphone."
Dreeves95

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Skyletv wrote:
nobody wanted to do reviews of this show and instead of just not doing it, they give it to someone who has clearly said he doesn't like isekai. In the end, it is a situation in which neither the reviewer nor the reader benefits.

While I enjoyed a bunch of Isekai shows such as Grimgar, ReZero, KonoSuba or Overlord,
this one is pretty much straight up terrible and I don't think any of the ANN reviewer staff would tell you otherwise. Even Theron Martin who is usually ANN's guy for the lowbrow fanservice shows wasn't too keen on this one lol.

You should be allowed to call a bad show bad as long as you state your reasoning.
Which James did.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
#872829 wrote:
why put James, a person that doesnt like Isekai one bit, reviewing a show that outwardly and proudly admits that its a Isekai/Harem (this by genre and/or description of the source material)

these shows should be rewieved by people that either enjoy them, but can differentiate good from bad, or people neutral to it

Why would that make a difference? Even among isekai fans, Deathmarch is considered trash. About the best that can be said of it is, "At least it's not Smartphone."

Don't know what gave you that idea. Anime not withholding, Deathmarch is one of the more popular Isekai titles to date.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote
So far, I'm liking this show. I get why some viewers would find it boring, but - for whatever reason - I found myself getting into the minutae. The whole thing of being issued a temporary visa and all that other bureaucratic stuff appealed to my sense of realism, I guess. Plus... cute demi-human slave lolis!
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:50 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Don't know what gave you that idea. Anime not withholding, Deathmarch is one of the more popular Isekai titles to date.

Being popular doesn't mean it's not trash. Many people find trashy fare to be the anime equivalent of comfort food.

And mind you, trashy shows can still be quite entertaining if they don't pretend to be more than they are and are done with style and flair. Killing Bites is an excellent example of that for this season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Above all else, what's been presented so far is boring. It just doesn't have the spark to it that the better isekai series from the past couple of years (Overlord, Saga of Tanya the Evil, Konosuba, Re:Zero) have had; hell, it's not even on the level of Knights and Magic. I don't consider that one to be a good isekai series, but at least it had a more dynamic protagonist, a clearer direction, and the sense to push its story along more rapidly.
I haven't read the Death March light novels but based on the first 2 episodes I would agree that Death March is much calmer than other isekai shows to the point where it is almost a vacation in a fantasy world.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
For the same reason the term "Mary Sue" was coined. Ego trips are boring when it's not your ego being stroked.
The entertainment value of a male power fantasy will depend on the viewer. Still not every show is made for everyone and How To Keep A Mummy isn't my cup of tea but I understand that other people really like it.

Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
I miss the days of The Twelve Kingdoms and Escaflowne.
Include Fushigi Yûgi and Inuyasha to that list and you would have the four great female isekai series of the 1990's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 18